Brandnew's Story - NEW PICS pg. 4 (09/20/10)

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
IM new to the forum and wondering what you guys think I should do. I have noticed some shedding since I was 18 and i am currently 21. This passed fall i noticed more hair in the shower and around the sink. So I went to the dermatologist in DEC. 08 and she said i had slight thinning in the crown area. She gave me a prescription for propecia and ketaconozole 2% for my dry scalp.

I went to get my prescriptions filled to be informed that propecia is not covered by my insurance and is going to be about $210 for a 3 month supply! i got it filled anyways. I took a weeks sample and the 90 I had got filled. I noticed that my sperm was really watery after a while and my sex drive had dropped slightly. I stopped use because I could not afford the treatment and was told there was no generic.

My last propecia was taken the first week of March this year. The prescription ketaconozol I stopped using after a couple weeks b/c it made my scalp worse. I did buy nizoral though and it isnt bad.

I buzzed my head yesterday really short and my head looks very different here are before and after pics. the after pics are taken with a camera and in a bright bathroom with flash.

I will have some before pics later.
here are some after:

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Brandnew 21 with recent buzz cut

Ive read a ton of stuff on here. What should I order from the website in generic?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

ok......

by those pics it looks like your crown is slightly thinning
also by those pics it looks like the top "mid scalp" is thinning as well

your hairline looks pretty intact

there are cheaper options for using Finasteride, the main ingredient in propecia
Proscar is a 5mg version of Finasteride
alot of people on this site split 5 mg finasteride into 4ths to cut down on the cost
the generic to proscar is even cheaper than the original proscar

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

so finasteride is not propecia? is there generic propecia i can get and cut in half? do i need a prescription again?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

hes already been using the 1mg for a while

EVERYBODY doest react to finasteride in the same way you did!!!

1-1.25mg has been working fine for me!!!
as well as ALOT of other people on this site :whistle:

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

brandnew said:
so finasteride is not propecia? is there generic propecia i can get and cut in half? do i need a prescription again?

finasteride is the main ingredient in propecia
and it will abbreviated "finasteride" from now on in these conversations
propecia is 1mg finasteride
proscar is 5mg finasteride

you can split the 5mg finasteride into 4ths and have your money go for longer

well you can acquire 5mg finasteride in many ways
some get it from inhousepharmancy "without a prescription"

i order mine from northwestpharmancy "they do require a prescription"

sure you can use .5mg like ryan said
i dont

if you never had any adverse reactions to using 1mg i would continue using 1mg
which im pretty sure brandnew did not

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

I stopped use in march of propecia. My sides were watery sperm and slight decrease in sex drive. Everything is normal now.

What you guys are saying though is that I cant get propecia online unless i order it in 5mg tabs and cut into 4ths?

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

ummmmm i think i just wasted 1 hour while watching an online video

no dude you can order anything you want in any variety over the internet

i wont be posting anymore on your thread

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score

brandnew said:
I stopped use in march of propecia. My sides were watery sperm and slight decrease in sex drive. Everything is normal now.

What you guys are saying though is that I cant get propecia online unless i order it in 5mg tabs and cut into 4ths?

You can order Proscar (5mg finasteride) and cut it into 4ths or 5ths and this will likely cost just as much as buying Propecia (1mg finasteride).

By being able to cut Proscar into 4ths or 5ths and paying the same $$, then you are saving money and making your money go futher.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Brandnew's Story - (21 / with recent buzz cut)

So went to the dermatologist last Monday and she gave me 3 sample packs of propecia and wrote me a prescription for proscar when those run out. she told me to cut the proscar in half and take it every other day. Now I have read here that taking it every other day is not as effective.

Since 2.5mg every other day is a rather large amount i decided to take things into my own hands. As of last tuesday I have been taking .5 mg of finasteride once daily. When my samples of propecia run out and I go fill my proscar prescription I will no longer be able to take such a small dose. I was thinking about cutting the the proscar into 6 pieces making it .83 mg. Since I have yet to fill my prescription for proscar I do not know if it is capable of successfully being cut into 6 pieces.

Has any one had any luck with this? One week in on .5 mg and no side effects yet or even watery sperm like last time. Just thought I would update and any suggestions are appreciated. :)

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score

brandnew,

although 2.5 mg eod is probably as effective as the reccomended dose, i would just quarter the proscar (giving 1.25 mg per day). This is what most people do here and it has been time tested. If you do not experience side effects, why not go to the regulat dosage of 1 or 1.25 mg? Proscar is very easy to cut into 4ths and there is a picture floating around here showing how to cut in 5ths if you want exactly 1 mg.

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

brandnew, I see no one has managed to answer your question in 2 pages ...

So, just to clarify, finasteride is the ingredient of propecia which will help to stop your hairloss.

The generic you asked about is known as Finpecia and is made by an Indian company called Cipla.
These also contain finasteride in 1mg doses which is the recommended amount of finasteride to take.

Most people on here buy their Finpecia from inhouse pharmacy, it's very cheap and is legitimate.
The website is here : http://www.inhousepharmacy.co.uk/generics/finpecia.html

In order to save even more money you can easily cut them in half meaning it'll cost you around $16 US per month.

Hope that helps to clear things up for you.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys. I did have watery sperm and experienced a slight drop in my sex drive. I was just trying to avoid both by keeping a lower dose. As far as ordering online I dont think I will have to anymore because my insurance should cover proscar and it will be $30 for 30 pills. That is super cheap.

BTW looking at my pics do you think I should just try the finasteride and nizoral or do the big 3?

eth0

Established Member
Reaction score

I'd stay off minoxidil for now and see how the finasteride works for you.

It's a bit of a chore and adds to the overall cost. Plus some people experience side effects. For me it gave me a very itchy scalp and increased my heart rate. I definitely couldn't use it late at night otherwise I'd never get to sleep from the sounds of my heart racing.
I lasted about 2 months before binning it.

A lot of people are fine with just finasteride, me included, esspecially if you catch it early enough.

You can always add minoxidil at a later stage if you so wish.

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

As I said before I started take .5 mg of finasteride on the 8/4/09. Today it has been 22 days. I started noticing a decrease in my sex drive and some trouble staying hard on sunday. This was after about 20 days. I was thinking of increasing to 1mg before this happened.

What should I do? Should I continue taking .5 mg and hope that the sides go away after a few weeks or so? Could this all be in my head?

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

well currently i have 10 more pills of propecia in the sample kit my doctor gave me. After that I have a prescription for proscar 5mg. Im not sure how I will be able to break them down into .5mg. Im going to sleep on it tomorrow.

BTW how long was it before your sides went away?

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

What are you currently taking? .25? or nothing at all? But you are saying that when you stayed on finasteride that your sides went away and you were back to normal after 3 months?

What about you Finfighter? how long was it before you went back to normal?

brandnew

Established Member
Reaction score

Alright... a little update. I decided to skip a day of finasteride. Should I continue taking finasteride daily and hope the sides subside or should I start skipping a day? Ive read that it stays in your system for a while then I have read that it leaves your system in less than 48 hours. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.