Reaction score
Current hair:

https://imgur.com/5pgODO5
https://imgur.com/rERNh58
https://imgur.com/tgYQ944
https://imgur.com/tgYQ944
https://imgur.com/odwGaaS
https://imgur.com/krZIowz

I'm thinking about going for something like this, except a little bit longer on the sides (post here https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/northwestlace/first-time-wearer-custom-cut-in-photos-t4946.html):

https://i.imgur.com/NpYubmk
https://i.imgur.com/c5uxQmL
https://i.imgur.com/WtFEm7W
https://imgur.com/rYYFrjg
https://imgur.com/nQV8zSs

Any general advice would be much appreciated, but I had a few questions too:

(1) Am I going to have to shave my head underneath that hair system? I.e., does cloudzero2006 have his hair shaved underneath that? If so, how much do you guys think I should (the entire top of my head? or just the front part of the top of my head?)

(2) How hard a hairstyle is this to maintain? I'm looking for something pretty easy because I'm a beginner.

(3) Can I just copy his specs? Or is there some reason why I would need something different?:

French lace
Graduated hairline
85% density
Flat knots
Bleached knots
European bodywave
Freestyle

(4) Do you guys think I can get a stock unit and get it cut in given my hair loss? Or do I need a custom one? Can someone help me understand better the differences between the two, with respect to what I'm looking for?

(5) Would appreciate any thoughts on this: I want a salon to help me with everything, since I don't really know what I'm doing. But the salons seem to want to keep the system attached for 3-4 weeks, and everyone says you should only keep it attached for 7-10 days. And I also want to be able to handle any emergencies/touch ups, etc. So do you guys think it's better to start with the salon? Start by trying to do it all myself? Ask the salon to show me how to attach and deattach and everything? Also, why do the salons advertise that they keep the system attached for 4 weeks, when everyone says that's unhygenic?

(6) Is there a list of products out there a new person should buy so that they have everything they need?

(7) One salon in the area offers something called a "Program" with a monthly fee -- does anyone have any idea what this is?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Sam,

And welcome. As a "newbie" myself, I will answer your questions based on my experience, I am sure others will chime in, especially Noah.

1. The basic answer is yes. It provides the correct base for the adhesive so your hair system will stay on. Some just clip short, I think shaved bald is the best.

2. The hairstyle in the link is pretty simple.

3. Maybe... it's always good to get an expert opinion, with an in-person evaluation.

4. Again, an expert will be able to better evaluate. The benefits of a custom unit are that it fits your head, perfectly, and you don't need to worry about issues with color, density, gaps, wrinkles, etc.

Stock units are generic in shape, size, color, etc. Some can get away with using them, others, cannot.

5. Good idea to start with a salon, you can always start going DIY when YOU feel more comfortable. Some people do keep the unit attached for up to four weeks, and some people don't. Depends on your body chemistry, system base, climate, etc.

6. It depends on the base you choose (skin, lace, etc). And not everyone needs every product, it's individual. A good salon will suggest what type of products (tape, vs. glue or a combination). We can give you suggestions on what works better for certain situations, but it is all very individual. Sometimes it's trial and error (white glue vs clear, different types of tape, etc).

7. Can you be more specific? Places like HCFM, you pay monthly, and they slap a nasty, cheap unit on your head every month, and you pay through the nose for an inferior product. Some places want you back so you rely on them only for doing maintenance. If you plan on going solo for at least the maintenance, you probably should avoid it, but get the particulars, and we can help decode it for you.

Good luck... keep us in the loop.

Steve

jonsnowflake

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey man,

Just a little background on myself:
I've had my system on for about a week (I am definitely a newbie). I'm in my mid to early twenties and my natural hair looks very similar to yours.

Now to your questions:
1) When I had my hair system cut in my natural hair was only buzzed (without a guard on the trimmer) not shaved. The guy who cut it in told me that the difference comes down to personal preference. Some guys prefer a shave others like a little hair left on (some guys say shaving irritates their scalp). However, he also told me that leaving some hair would help the tape and glue he used stick better.

2) Honestly, the first two days were challenging in terms of styling. However by the third day I figured out how to style and keep my hair in place for the entire day, I experimented with different gels, hairsprays, blowdrying vs towel drying, etc. It takes a little time but you'll figure it out. Also, I had my hairpiece cut in on a Saturday morning so I had plenty of time to get used to styling by the time I had work on Monday.

3) Not too sure about any of this haha. The hair replacement place I went to ordered everything for me,

4) My system is custom. All I can say is that it is comfortable and undetectable. Although, the color was off initially, but the guy I go to corrected that by dying the hair system to better match my natural hair.

5) I would recommend you go to a salon. Where I go I can book an appointment once a week to have my hair system refitted. I am probably going to continue going there for the next 10 months or so. Then I will start ordering and bonding my hair system by myself.

6) I think having glue and tape around is probably a good idea in case of an emergency.

7) not too sure about this one.

Good luck with everything, man!

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Sam

You've got some good practical advice there. I'll just add my ha'penceworth too.

(1) Am I going to have to shave my head underneath that hair system? - Yes. For a fairly low density result like Cloudzero's the system has to be well-fitted, and you can't afford to have hair under the base.

I.e., does cloudzero2006 have his hair shaved underneath that? - Yes.

If so, how much do you guys think I should (the entire top of my head? or just the front part of the top of my head?) - I would say the whole top, leaving just your real sides and back. Your hair is not too bad, and you could probably go a bit longer with just concealer, but it is all thinning at roughly the same pace, so if you are going to make the switch now, I would say replace the whole top. Again, with the fairly low density you are aiming for it is best not to have a join halfway back. I know it seems a shame to buzz off hair that is not bad, but no one will ever see the buzzed area, and you will get a better result.

(2) How hard a hairstyle is this to maintain? - pretty easy, principally because the hairline is not exposed.

(3) Can I just copy his specs? Or is there some reason why I would need something different?:

French lace
Graduated hairline
85% density
Flat knots
Bleached knots
European bodywave
Freestyle

Those look pretty suitable. The only thing I might suggest is brushed-forward ventilation rather than freestyle, if you are happy with the scalp-hugging style that he is wearing in the pictures.

(4) Do you guys think I can get a stock unit and get it cut in given my hair loss? Or do I need a custom one? Can someone help me understand better the differences between the two, with respect to what I'm looking for?

Yes, I think you could use a stock piece. The difference is like buying a suit off the rack, or having one custom tailored. Stock pieces are made in commonly-requested colours and designs, but for no one in particular. You can get them on the spot. They are made big, and are meant to be cut down to size. Custom pieces are hand-made to your order, and they take a couple of months to make. You send a template of the area you need to cover, and a sample of your hair, and it comes back with a perfect colour match and a base which exactly fits the area you need covered. You can also customise them in various other ways. - adding partings, crown swirls, tape patches etc. There is no real advantage to buying a stock piece except speed.

(5) Would appreciate any thoughts on this: I want a salon to help me with everything, since I don't really know what I'm doing. But the salons seem to want to keep the system attached for 3-4 weeks, and everyone says you should only keep it attached for 7-10 days. And I also want to be able to handle any emergencies/touch ups, etc. So do you guys think it's better to start with the salon? Start by trying to do it all myself? Ask the salon to show me how to attach and deattach and everything? Also, why do the salons advertise that they keep the system attached for 4 weeks, when everyone says that's unhygenic?

I have known quite a few guys to do everything themselves from the get-go very successfully. Certainly I think self-sufficiency should be your aim in the medium term. But there are certainly advantages to having a salon get you started PROVIDED it is a good place. Some places start you off and support you, but then educate you and empower you to look after your own system. Others want to keep you ignorant and dependent on them. It's better to do it yourself than go to a bad salon.

The longer attachment time has 2 aspects to it. First, it goes with the kind of salon which wants you to be dependent - they basically superglue to system on, and only they can remove it. This is the classic Hair Club for Men technique. It isn't hygienic or good for your scalp, but it fits their business model - you are bound to return to them for maintenance once a month for ever and ever. Hello Mr Cashcow. The second aspect is that the idea appeals to some guys. They don't like to have to see themselves bald or think too much about the fact they are wearing a hair system, or to have to take any responsibility for looking after their hair. Hair Club and their lookalike places promise them that - the salon will do everything, and all they have to do is enjoy having their hair back, and keep paying the monthly "club membership". It definitely sells, but it's not a good idea in the long run.

(6) Is there a list of products out there a new person should buy so that they have everything they need?

Here is my list:

Things you will need:

Adhesives - there are dozens of different brands and formulas, and uts worth experimenting. I use Walkers No-Shine tape for the back and sides, and Davlyn Black glue for the hairline. If I want an extra long-lasting or strong hold (e.g. for a hiking trip or a week on the beach) I use Walkers 3-mil for the hairline.

99% isopropyl alcohol - useful for installing, detaching and cleaning the piece. Buy it cheaply in bulk from DIY stores or pharmacies

A squeezable bottle with a long narrow nozzle (like an American mustard bottle). Allows you to soak the base of the system with alcohol without getting it on the hair, when you are detaching.

A bottle with a spritz nozzle - you can spray a light mist of alcohol on your head to delay the adhesive setting. It gives you a few seconds to get your system into the perfect position when you are attaching it.

Mirror - ideally a well-lit wall mirror plus a big hand-held mirror

A brush or comb with blunt teeth, to avoid snagging the lace base

Shampoo - any mild shampoo is OK. Choose one 'for processed hair'

Conditioner - choose a good quality one. I use American Crew.

Leave-in conditioner with sunscreen - a must for daily use. Get a sunscreen with SPF of 30+.

Some spring clips - for keeping the unattached part of the system out of the way when you are putting on glue

Colour-correcting shampoo or conditioner for correcting any sun damage to the hair colour.

Knot sealer - will increase the longevity of your system

Tennis sweat band - to keep alcohol from dripping into your eyes when you are attaching or removing.

A few nice-to-haves:

Scalp protector - a clear barrier liquid to prevent irritation of the scalp, or to stop sweat interfering with your bond

A polystyrene wig head - for putting tape on the system, or drying it after washing

Detangler

A lockable box to keep your supplies and spare systems in, if you are concerned to keep your hair-wearing private.

(7) One salon in the area offers something called a "Program" with a monthly fee -- does anyone have any idea what this is?

Usually it means they charge a monthly fee for a certain number of systems a year and a certain number of maintenance visits. It's not necessarily a bad arrangement as such, but often it seems to go with the Hair Club methodology and business model (see above).