Botulinum Toxin Type A for reversing hair loss

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

1 treatment every 3 months. BTA type A is relatively cheap to buy online. Anyone look into this?

JealDeal

My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks very promising. I do not know why no one is reacting. Seems like it would be costly though but I am willing to pay that price personally.
Also seems like it would be free of any side effects

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks very promising. I do not know why no one is reacting. Seems like it would be costly though but I am willing to pay that price personally.
Also seems like it would be free of any side effects
From what I've found, it is about $160 per treatment if you do it yourself, and only requires doing it once every 3 months, so about $53 a month on average.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't they pinch your skin while injecting this? You would need 3 hands.
Hmm, didn't know that.

Could use hand mirror and wall mirror to find spot to inject, pinch spot with free hand, then put down the hand mirror and use that hand to inject.

Or ask for help from girlfriend.

I found a source for the BTA type A, in this study they just used an insulin needle.

Janks16

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
In LA there are all kinds of aesthetics via injectables in your skin. The average cost for botox is $20 per unit.

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have seen the study, there is also this one. See what they say:

COMMENT

The proposed mechanism for hair growth in androgenic alopecia after botulinum toxin A treatment is that paralysis of the scalp muscles enhances blood flow to the scalp by reducing the tension on the scalp skin. Because the conversion to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is enhanced in a low-oxygen environment, oxygenated blood reduces this conversion and increases conversion to estradiol. This might be the same mechanism by which minoxidil affects androgenic alopecia. The 18% increase in hair count is similar to that achieved with finasteride. How injecting BTX A into scalp muscles could be protected as intellectual property is difficult to see.

And I have seen similar theories as to why botox works for growth.
Question is therefore: Wouldn't scalp massage and stretching achieve the same thing? I have to check the number but the growth after a long period of massage was not too bad at all.

JealDeal

My Regimen
Reaction score
That would mean that Botox would increase bloodflow (like Minoxidil) in a such manner that it would decrease DHT locally as well. And you would only need to perform the injections only once in every three to six months and with no risk for your collagen or the typical DHT antagonist side effects ? Sounds like a dream tbh

Maybe we should push this solution to professionals

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That would mean that Botox would increase bloodflow (like Minoxidil) in a such manner that it would decrease DHT locally as well. And you would only need to perform the injections only once in every three to six months and with no risk for your collagen or the typical DHT antagonist side effects ? Sounds like a dream tbh

Maybe we should push this solution to professionals
Exactly. It seems like this isn't exactly a breakthrough, as in we are getting a new mechanism to fight hairloss, but it seems to combine multiple existing mechanisms into something that could be done once every 3 months rather than having to perform them multiple times per day.

The problem clinics face, as waynakyo posted, is they can't protect it as intellectual property in order to financially rape us as they do with other clinical hairloss treatments.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure what rules are for posting sources, so feel free to remove this if I'm breaking a rule.

From my understanding, this comes in a powder that is to be mixed with saline and 100u is divided up into 30 injections... so 3.33u per injection... very small amount.

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have seen the study, there is also this one. See what they say:

COMMENT

The proposed mechanism for hair growth in androgenic alopecia after botulinum toxin A treatment is that paralysis of the scalp muscles enhances blood flow to the scalp by reducing the tension on the scalp skin. Because the conversion to dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is enhanced in a low-oxygen environment, oxygenated blood reduces this conversion and increases conversion to estradiol. This might be the same mechanism by which minoxidil affects androgenic alopecia. The 18% increase in hair count is similar to that achieved with finasteride. How injecting BTX A into scalp muscles could be protected as intellectual property is difficult to see.

And I have seen similar theories as to why botox works for growth.
Question is therefore: Wouldn't scalp massage and stretching achieve the same thing? I have to check the number but the growth after a long period of massage was not too bad at all.
The main differences I see between that article and mine is the frequency and amount of BTA injected. Instead of once every 3 months they went for once every 6 months, and used 150u instead of 100u. I'm wondering if once a month would be even better than once every 3 months since every 3 months proved to be better than every 6. Just like microneedling, we need more research on frequency and intensity.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not sure what rules are for posting sources, so feel free to remove this if I'm breaking a rule.

From my understanding, this comes in a powder that is to be mixed with saline and 100u is divided up into 30 injections... so 3.33u per injection... very small amount.
If it’s legit I’d get some for my forehead etc.. but only licensed practitioners can purchase authentic Botox ie Allergan etc. That’s more than likely from China.. so you know..

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If it’s legit I’d get some for my forehead etc.. but only licensed practitioners can purchase authentic Botox ie Allergan etc. That’s more than likely from China.. so you know..
I see it as about the same as ordering finasteride or RU58841 online. There is definitely a risk of getting a fake or low quality product, but there's also a chance of finding a high quality source.

Last edited:

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There must be some clinics out there doing it. And they would be happy to do it. I would start there, reach out, and see what they promise.
Maybe try Jeff Epstein (Florida) he is very responsive and seems on the cutting edge of things. (no conflicts of interests, just have interacted with in the past).

Lurker85

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There must be some clinics out there doing it. And they would be happy to do it. I would start there, reach out, and see what they promise.
Maybe try Jeff Epstein (Florida) he is very responsive and seems on the cutting edge of things. (no conflicts of interests, just have interacted with in the past).
I see his ads all the time on favebook... I'm in Florida. The problem with hairloss clinics in America, is they play on insecurities from hair loss and charge ridiculous prices compared to the rest of the world. PRP in America is several hundred $... in other countries it is $70.

I was quoted 6.50 a graft from one no name clinic and their before/after results pictures looked like trash. I haven't reached out to Jeffrey because by the time I saw his ads I already spoke to 10+ clinics and realized getting quality work done at an appropriate price means traveling to Turkey or India.