bosley medical

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Damnit Yeddie - you're too freakin' nice.

Hopewas - I've been toying with you - we are all very familiar with Bosley. Here's a link to a similar thread that came up last week.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... ght=bosley

I've had transplants, though not from Bosley, and can tell you a lot about what to expect as far as results and the procedure.

Contact me offline on the PM - I'd be happy to help you out.

No hard feelings?

jerry grant

hopewas

Reaction score
yeah, i kind of figured you were after the first few posts. i still want feedback on what you people know about bosley though. thanks

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Grant, you're such a b**ch!!! I love it.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
By the way, I've heard mucho bad things about Bosely medical. It's a giant corporation, and they don't give two shits about you.

Personally, I would probably go with Bernstein or Hasson and Wong out in Vancouver. Don't bother looking for someone good near you. If you have to travel half way around the world, do it. Don't bother getting a hair transplant if you're trying to save $$$ by going to someone near you. The money you will spend travelling is nothing compared to the cost of the transplant itself, so don't screw yourself by being cheap. What matters most is you get a good surgeon. Remember, this is something you will have to live with for the rest of your life, so don't take it lightly.

There are only a few good hair transplant surgeons in the entire world. I mentioned a couple above. I'm not too familiar with any others.

Also, I wouldn't recommend a transplant while you are young. If you are going to be cueball bald one day, those transplants aren't going to look very good. If you're balding at a young age, chances are you will in fact be cueball bald one day. Unless your hair loss isn't that bad. But in that case, why would you care about a transplant?

Axon

Reaction score
Three words - Follicular Unit Extraction. Don't go near a strip. At least, I wouldn't.

hair mchair

Established Member
Reaction score
Axon said:
Three words - Follicular Unit Extraction. Don't go near a strip. At least, I wouldn't.

Very true. FUE = no visible scarring.

justasking

Established Member
Reaction score
FUE transplant

FUE is twice as expensive per graft and very time consuming. It's also meant for smaller areas. $10 per graft...If you need a thousand grafts, which is not that many, you're already up to 10,000 bucks in addition to other costs.

jinx83

Reaction score
hopewas said:
they take hair from the back of your head, then sew it to hide any bald spots in the back of your head and transplant to the top.

sorry, but that sounds like a typical transplant procedure. what's the big deal?

Axon

Reaction score
Re: FUE transplant

justasking said:
FUE is twice as expensive per graft and very time consuming. It's also meant for smaller areas. $10 per graft...If you need a thousand grafts, which is not that many, you're already up to 10,000 bucks in addition to other costs.

But minimal scarring, which sounds good to me. I don't know about it being meant for smaller areas - however, you will have to set aside more time for it to be done.

There are also a number of Docs in the US doing it for a little less.

eddie

Reaction score
No hype Bosley Medical

I think Bosley Medical is a rip off. I sent for the information and video, made an appointment for a free consultation and finally went to talk to a senior counselor who turned out to be un-interested in what I had to say. He was yawning and more interested in what was going on outside the window than in listening to what I was saying. I wanted to talk to a doctor and after waiting for 20 minutes, one came by and told me flat out that I was not a good candidate! I thought that they were in the market of wanting to help people out than not. What they are really looking for are men who are so bald that they'll stand to make $10,000 or more from. Since I was looking to get transplantation to fill in the not so full areas on top of my head, they said I was more a candidate for Propecia, which scares the hell out of me. They were somewhat rude and I'll never go back to them. Try going to Hair Club for Men instead. They are a lot nicer and more professional. They took the time to listen and have a microscopic hair analysis which takes a real close look at your scalp. I was amazed at what my thinning areas looked like under microscopic proportions.

Gumby

Reaction score
bosley

Do not go to Bosley unless you want poor quality work at twice the price. I learned the hard way and was ripped off and scared by them.

siteguy

Reaction score
Oh sh*t!

I have had one treatment at bosley (They told me I would need 3) for considerable thinning on the top of my head. I still have a decent hairline . just general thickness.

After reading about the horror stories from bosley, I am concerned that as I age (I am 25) I might start to look quite freakish.

I haven't returned to bosley since I don't have an extra 10,000 laying around like I did a few years ago. As for the pain . . I am the toughest guy in the world, but it freakin' hurt. . .don't be fooled. Anytime a strip of your scalp is being sliced off, it hurts . .even with the local anesthetic. (I didn't need a bit or anything . .)

I have been happy with the results . . I am pretty sure I would be much more bald if I didn't have the procedure.

The silly part is that I am still just as reserved about going out to places . .still completely obsessed with my hair when I go hatless . . the treatment didn't solve my problem . . the problem of being comfortable naked (hatless ;) ) in public. . . . it is really wierd how something that I know is ultimatley unimportant can take control of my life . . . .I used to be so outgoing, when did I become the reclusive freak? :)