bosley medical

hopewas

Reaction score
i'm just curious..what do all of you think of bosley medical? is it worth giving a try or is it a waste of money / scam. thanks for any info

hopewas

Reaction score
i would have thought most of you would have known about it. they transplant hair from the back of your head to the top and it supposedly grows for a lifetime. the video and brochure seem impressive, but then again that's why i'm asking, you can't believe advertisements. i was hoping someone here has read something about it, complaints, praises, etc..

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
They transplant hair from the back to the top and front? Sounds painful? Does it work? Is it expensive?

-jg

hopewas

Reaction score
go to the site. they send you a free brochure and video. they take hair from the back of your head, then sew it to hide any bald spots in the back of your head and transplant to the top. it shouldn't be painful with novacaine. it is expensive though,..3000 to 10000,..and it might take 2 or 3 visits. but it seems to be the best option available for hair loss nowadays

G

I'm certified, but they let me out anyway because I'm better now :D

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Damnit, the link won't work - what city are they in? Do you have a phone number? Sorry for all the questions.

jerry grant

hopewas

Reaction score
Questions and Answers
Your Bosley doctor is happy to answer both general questions about hair loss and hair restoration, and personal questions about your specific case. For your convenience, general questions can also be directed to any of our Senior Counselors.

Below is a list of the questions we are most frequently asked:

What is a hair transplant exactly?
Hair transplantation is an artistic redistribution system that takes donor dominant hair follicles from the very back of the head and artfully transplants them into thinning or balding areas. With current BMG microsurgical technologies, this results in a very natural appearance. Basically we take hair from where you have more than you need and put it where you need it more.

How long do transplants last?
For the vast majority of patients, virtually all transplanted hair lasts a lifetime. In some cases, a small percentage of transplanted hair may be lost as the patient ages.

Is it going to hurt?
The great majority of our patients are quite comfortable both during and after their hair transplantation procedure; occasionally a patient says he had some pain. As you would expect, local anesthetics are used during the procedure. And, we supply you with medication which is available for you to use after the procedure, if you should need it. Many of our patients find that they do not need to take any medication at all after their hair transplantation procedure.

Why come to Bosley?
There are two good reasons why we believe you might be well advised to have your hair restoration performed at Bosley.

Reason 1 - Is our track record - Bosley has been a full-time specialty practice for HR since 1974. It may sound self-serving, but the facts are mighty impressive:

Bosley has performed more hair transplants than any other medical group in the world.
We've restored hair for patients from all 50 states and over 67 foreign countries.
We've pioneered virtually every major advancement in the field of hair transplant during the past 28 years.
All Bosley doctors are Board Certified (or have equivalent credentials) in one or more surgical or dermatologic specialties.
Reason 2 - Bosley’s follicular unit techniques result in a restoration so natural that we challenge you to tell the transplanted hair from the non-transplanted hair.

Can I see an actual person who has had the work done?
(For B.H.) Yes, we can arrange for you to see a patient who has had hair restoration work done. (For other offices) When you come to our office for consultation, your consultant can usually arrange for you to see one of our patients.

How much does it cost?
As you might expect, only our physicians can determine that you are a suitable candidate, and give you the final answer regarding costs in your individual case. However, our counselors have been thoroughly trained. When you meet with one of our senior counselors (at no cost, of course) he will provide you with valuable information, and will help you understand typical cost ranges. In general, most of our patients invest anywhere between four thousand to ten thousand dollars more or less per procedure. Each procedure is designed to significantly improve your appearance, and to look natural.

If I bring a friend and he does it, can I get a price break?
We certainly invite you to bring a friend if he is interested. It won't affect fees. Currently our fee structure is very competitive and it's the same for everyone. Quality, density and natural results are more important.

How does the Bosley procedure differ from all the others I see advertised?
Bosley can't fully account for the techniques of others, because we don't know exactly the protocols and variations they use in processing the results they achieve. We can talk to you about Bosley's own techniques, which include Varigrafting. This emphasizes the natural variations in the textures, angles and directions, character of the hair, size and shape of grafts and variations in color. The combinations in how the MD uses these numerous variations significantly impacts the naturalness of the results and there are many permutations each time the MD goes from donor to recipient area. Bosley suggests you visit with others. We also invite you to come in to visit with us at no charge.

Is there any scarring?
Whenever human skin is cut, it always heals by the process called "fibrosis". This fibrosis (commonly known as scarring) is the skin's way of healing. Thanks to the skill of our experienced hair transplantation surgeons, the healing sites in the transplanted areas are usually so small that the fibrosis is virtually undetectable. At Bosley, hair transplantation procedures are designed to produce a very natural look. In the great majority of cases the microtechnologies currently used at Bosley make the restored hairline virtually undetectable.

Do you offer Rogaine and Propecia? And, how effective are they?
The manufacturers of both Rogaine and Propecia tell you that their product is not effective in the frontal area, which is the area of most concern to most patients, especially the frontal hairline. With Rogaine, the manufacturer (Upjohn) claims that approximately 8-10% get cosmetically effective growth and another 20% get vellus or peach fuzz growth. The manufacturer of Propecia (Merck) claims slightly better results. Bosley has a large number of the official Merck before and after photographs of their study results, which you may closely examine when you come in. You are encouraged to draw your own conclusions as to their results. For more specific information, please visit the "treatment options" section of this Web Site.

Why don't hair transplants I've seen look natural?
This is a very good question. The answer is that today, if you see a recently completed hair transplant that doesn't look natural, that's because it's usually simply a bad hair transplant. Our Bosley hair transplants go unnoticed by you and everyone else, in the great majority of cases, because they are so natural looking. Modern research in hair growth has discovered that natural scalp hairs actually grow in small groupings (called follicular units) of 1, 2, 3 or occasionally 4 hairs per unit. So, it is our strong emphasis at Bosley not just to imitate nature, but to try to duplicate nature. We employ micro-technologies that use closely placed and randomly dispersed 1, 2, 3, and 4 hair units. With our 28 years of experience in the full time practice of hair restoration, we have refined these micro-technologies to the point where often other medical doctors, even on close inspection, have a difficult time telling which natural hairs are original (non-transplanted) and which natural hairs have been restored (transplanted). That's why today the state-of-the-art at Bosley is follicular unit hair restoration.

How does the room reservation fee (RRF) work?
An advance payment of $400 is required to confirm your reservation of a treatment room for a procedure by one of Bosley's Physicians. Please note that no surgical procedure is performed at Bosley until a patient has been evaluated and accepted for treatment by a Bosley physician. Your room reservation fee may be paid at the time you schedule your procedure and will be deducted from the full payment which is due before a procedure is performed. This room reservation fee must be paid at least two weeks before your appointment date or your room reservation may be cancelled without our notifying you. This room reservation payment is non-refundable unless you notify us at least one week in advance of the reservation you wish to change.

Are there any complications or risks with the hair transplantation surgery?
Occurrences of infection after the procedure are rare. In the few cases where infection does occur, it is often due to the patient's failure to fully follow post-operative instructions. Even when infection occurs, it generally is easily treatable with antibiotics, which can be prescribed by the physician.

Are there any payment plans or possible financial arrangements?
Bosley has made arrangements with a leading provider of elective medical financing, Cosmetic Fee Plan. Their plan provides a convenient way to finance your hair restoration procedure and to assist with managing your out-of-pocket expenses. Simply click on the financing link posted on the toolbar, fill out the one-page application and in a short period of time, often within minutes, Cosmetic Fee Plan will contact you with your financing options. Upon approval of your financing, you will be provided with a document confirming your approval, which you will present to your Bosley physician at the time of your consultation or procedure.

How many grafts will it take to cover 1 square inch?
That is very difficult to answer without seeing you. This is because the number of grafts required will ultimately be dependant upon the texture and quality of your hair (i.e. darker, coarser hair may require fewer grafts to cover the same area as compared to lighter colored, fine hair). It will also be dependent upon your density goals.

Can I have the procedure done by Dr. Bosley?
Yes, you may have a procedure done by Dr. Bosley. However, you should be aware that his fees are higher than those charged by the rest of the doctors at BMG. This does not mean that other BMG physicians' skills are any less than that of Dr. Bosley. It is the result of the fact that if Dr. Bosley did not charge more, a substantial number of persons would ask specifically for him and the demand would greatly exceed his ability to meet all of the requests.

Do you use laser in the hair transplantation procedure?
Dr. Bosley does not feel that the laser benefits the patient. It can damage healthy hair follicles, have a negative impact on scalp elasticity, and in general, slow down the healing process. The use of lasers in hair restoration has diminished greatly in the last few years.

Can you give me some information about your Airfare Value Program?
If you fly to a Bosley Regional Surgical Office and have a procedure during that same trip, Bosley will reimburse your airfare expense in the form of additional grafts. If you are traveling domestically (United States including Alaska & Hawaii, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico & Bermuda) you will receive 50 additional grafts. If you are traveling internationally (Central America, Latin America, Asia, Europe, Africa, Australia & all other locations) you will receive 100 additional grafts. You qualify if:

You live more than 100 miles from the Bosley Regional Surgical Office nearest you and fly to that office for your procedure (Atlanta, Beverly Hills, Boca Raton, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Scottsdale or Seattle).
The Bosley doctor determines that you are a suitable candidate for hair restoration and you have a procedure performed at Bosley during that same trip.
You bring your round-trip plane ticket and current, valid driver's license with you to Bosley. YOU MUST HAVE BOTH DOCUMENTS WITH YOU AT THE TIME OF THE PROCEDURE IN ORDER TO QUALIFY FOR THE REIMBURSEMENT PROGRAM. For each subsequent fly-in visit you make to the Bosley surgical office nearest you, during which you have a procedure performed, this same offer holds. Please note this reimbursement applies to commercial airfares only and to no other form of transportation. (We do not reimburse "frequent flyer miles," travel by private plane, or airfare for consultation only).
How many procedures are necessary?
The number of procedures necessary to achieve a personally desired goal varies from person to person, but in our experience, the great majority of our patients want to have at least two procedures.

What is the background of the doctors at Bosley?
Every Bosley physician is required to be a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), actively licensed in the state in which he practices, extensively experienced with a minimum of ten (10) years in private practice, a member of one or more medical associations such as the American Medical Association (AMA), and a Certified Diplomat of a board within the American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS), or have equivalent credentials, in one or more surgical or dermatologic specialties. If you are interested in seeing a particular Bosley physician, we will be more than happy to supply a summary of his professional training and background.

Do you do hair transplantation on women?
Yes. Female hair loss is quite common. In fact, studies indicate more than 20 million American women are experiencing some degrees of female pattern hair loss. "The great majority of women with typical female pattern hair loss can be helped significantly," says Dr. Bosley. Though women can lose hair in a different pattern than men do - often thinning behind the hairline - the treatment procedure is similar to both. First the patient and the Bosley doctor decide upon the areas where the new hair is desired. Then the doctor locates a "donor area" with sufficient excess healthy hair. According to Dr. Bosley, "Women usually have a similar donor area to men. This means they have enough supply to fulfill the demand, so the results are usually very good".

Grantspots

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh right Yeddie, it works for you. Well how 'bout coming over here and fixing my wagon?

Can't you see I'm waiting for important info about this Bosely group?

jerry grant

bombscience

Reaction score
are you guys talking about hair transplants? I heard that when you sew new hair in your head the follicles dont produce estrogen anymore so you get bad acne. Can retin-a help with this?

G

Grantspots,

Maybe your better half installed a firewall preventing access to sites that might endanger the bank account :D

hopewas

Reaction score
bosley does sound too good to be true, i'd research it before you actually procede with going there. remember..that's how anti balding products make money. they know how people who are balding are desperate to do anything to get their hair back..and they tell you what you want to hear and do nothing but steal ingredients from each other to make it seem credible. i use minoxil, but if you ask me.. a hair transplant is the only way to go.. all products out don't seem to do much if nothing at all but stress you out when you think of all the money you've spent for nothing. a good hair transplant like bosley is the way to go. of course i have that fear..that it's too good to be true.. because you might have to go there a lot of times because the hair continues to fall out.. not the transplanted hair, the other hair.

G

Hopewas, you are doing the right thing by soliciting independent opinions. Chances are, anybody Bosley will put you in touch with will only show you the results that you cannot expect to have yourself.

I don't know anything about this stuff but I suspect there has to be a big downside risk of being turned into some kind of scarred plug freak, which I would guess is not easily undone.

Hopefully you can get enough feedback to gauge the odds and the average results. Unfortunately, if they have great success stories, those guys probably don’t hang around here.

hopewas

Reaction score
hopefully other people here have more info. i've been reading posts here a while and they seem to know their stuff..or at least act like they do. i've heard enough from bosley, but i'd like to hear from people who have or know people who have done it. the testimonials on their site like in any other hair product is useless to go by. one more thing..hairgenesis is a scam. i hope none of you fall for that like i did. for now on i stick to products that are proven to grow hair like minoxidil, etc..if it doesn't work, the truth is there's nothing you can do but go bald or get a transplant