Bone Loss & Less Defined Jaw/cheekbones On finasteride?

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been on finasteride 1mg a day for about 10 months now. I've had good results with my hair and no serious sides, however, recently I've noticed that my face looks different; less attractive but I couldn't work out exactly what it is. Other people have commented how I look different too. So I compared recent photos to pre finasteride photos ther's no doubt in my mind that my chin is smaller and more pointy and my jaw less wide. It's only a subtle difference but it's 100% there. I've compared several before and after photos to be sure and there isn't one recent photo where my jaw and chin look as defined/wide as on the older photos.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it reversible and could my face shape change even more if I continue to use finasteride?
I know a lot of people just dismiss this because maybe it's not very common and there hasn't been any real studies done to prove it but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Did you gain some weight?

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your jaw is less defined could it be because of weight gain? Imo you should lose the weight (if possible, some people claim that Finasteride made them gain weight) and then judge how bad it is. If you are actually sure, that Finasteride is causing bone loss (!!!!), then you have to stop immediately.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, I've been on finasteride 1mg a day for about 10 months now. I've had good results with my hair and no serious sides, however, recently I've noticed that my face looks different; less attractive but I couldn't work out exactly what it is. Other people have commented how I look different too. So I compared recent photos to pre finasteride photos ther's no doubt in my mind that my chin is smaller and more pointy and my jaw less wide. It's only a subtle difference but it's 100% there. I've compared several before and after photos to be sure and there isn't one recent photo where my jaw and chin look as defined/wide as on the older photos.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it reversible and could my face shape change even more if I continue to use finasteride?
I know a lot of people just dismiss this because maybe it's not very common and there hasn't been any real studies done to prove it but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

finasteride -

1) increased my testoserone

2) caused all my hair to fall out

3) gave me a raging libido (see #1)

4) slowed the f*** out of my metabolism and

5) yes, seemingly completely changed the shape of my f*****g face. fact. it was more than just the 5lbs i gained while on it. I looked like a weird little kid or something. f*****g strange.

conclusion - f*** that.

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
finasteride -

1) increased my testoserone

2) caused all my hair to fall out

3) gave me a raging libido (see #1)

4) slowed the f*** out of my metabolism and

5) yes, seemingly completely changed the shape of my f*****g face. fact. it was more than just the 5lbs i gained while on it. I looked like a weird little kid or something. f*****g strange.

conclusion - f*** that.

Bald beast was finally unleashed!

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure your body fat isn't different?

Minuscule changes in body fat % can have a huge impact on facial aesthetics

g.i joey

Reaction score
Not only the fact that you gained weight. Finasteride will def cause some bloatedness around the face.

The changes aren't permanent as you're not young enough to have your bones still growing or shrinking.. your jaw and chin probably haven't changed... the way the fat gets distributed around your body might have. Although these are all sides that tend to go away when we're off the drug they are quite shitty. I gained on finasteride but that's def due to always going out to eat and late night snacking. The thing is it's a lot harder to lose weight while on finasteride. I remember in feb I got off for 2 weeks and lost about 15 pounds. Now if I follow the same diet I did I'm lucky to lose 3-5 in 2 weeks. I'd suspect dht is pretty good at burning fat.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get a blood test and check hormones, estradiol specifically

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Iggypop, kj6723 and g.i joey - I understand why some of you are attributing this to the weight gain but I genuinely don't think this has anything to do with it. Any weight I may have gained certainly isn't visible on my face, ther's no double chin, chubby cheeks developed or anything like that. In fact, if anything my face actually looks thinner! Like I said in the OP I've looked at quite a few pre finasteride photos including some where I'm visibly fatter then I am now and even in these pictures my chin and jaw still looks more square then it does now.

Iggypop - Yeah I'd love to come off finasteride and it would be an easy decision if I hadn't had such positive results with my hair. So what do I chose? Lose my jawline or lose all the progress I've made with my hair? Either way it's a lose lose situation.

Buckthorn - Sorry to hear about your experience. I'm assuming you came off finasteride but did you notice an improvement to the shape of your face when you came off?

Dench57 - That sounds sensible although I'd be a bit self conscious about going to my doctor about this. I'll probably mention it to my chemist the next time I due to collect my finasteride and see what they recommend.

IggyPop

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minor weight gain can indeed have subtle changes in your face. And how old were you, when you the "fatter" pictures were taken? Look, I am not a doctor, but if Finasteride actually causes Bone loss (!!!!!!1111OneOne) you have to stop immediately. It is literally insane to continue treatment with such side effects.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minor weight gain can indeed have subtle changes in your face. And how old were you, when you the "fatter" pictures were taken? Look, I am not a doctor, but if Finasteride actually causes Bone loss (!!!!!!1111OneOne) you have to stop immediately. It is literally insane to continue treatment with such side effects.

This. I packed on only 10-15 lbs within the last 2ish years and my face looks hella fat and less defined now. Also, angles of pictures can play a big role too.

If you don't mind, could you post pictures of yourself (with eyes blurred out of course) pre finasteride and currently? Sometimes the mind can play tricks on us...

Funkymonk1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here you go. The first image is recent and the second just before I started finasteride. Like I said its subtle but to me ther's a difference with a longer thinner face and look especially at the chin which is less square and more pointy. I love someone to tell me I'm imagining this but......

Last edited:

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here you go. The first image is recent and the second just before I started finasteride. Like I said its subtle but to me ther's a difference with a longer thinner face and look especially at the chin which is less square and more pointy. I love someone to tell me I'm imagining this but......

You are imagining it. for real i see no different except the lighting....and a pimple. :)

g.i joey

Reaction score

hand to god, i initially looked at your pictures and thought left=before and right=after... and i was gonna say your face does seem chubbier in the right, then i saw what you wrote. i actually see more definition in the left. But you should also acknowledge the beard style adds jawline definition, honest opinion is you're being paranoid

aletheia225

My Regimen
Reaction score
Bit of an old thread but feel obligated to chime in. Doesn't look like the pics are here anymore. Yes, finasteride can cause bone loss. For certain (rare) unlucky individuals, finasteride disintegrates the skeleton. Could you be imagining things? Sure, I guess. Likely you are not. When I quit a year ago, I had the skeleton of a starving/famished person. A year on and it's made enormous progress rebuilding, but still a long way to go. To give an idea of just how depleted I was bone-wise, consider that there has not been a single instance in which I have slept 3+ hours since quitting (again, over a year) and not had bigger, denser bones somewhere on my body on waking up. I've done a thorough inventory each time and have become in general obsessive about it (as I think many would be). Despite a year's worth of bone growth, I still have quite a ways to go.

Based on my experience and reading about that of others similarly situated, I would stop taking the drug immediately. Last, a note on making a determination on the basis of pics: fat gain can create the illusion of fullness in the face. My face looks much fuller (hence seemingly more bone, one might think) in pics when I was at my most depleted. But I had sh** for bone - it was all fat and water.

Make your own determination. As I said before, it's possible you could be imagining things. Likely not in my humble opinion.

ahmed wolf

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bit of an old thread but feel obligated to chime in. Doesn't look like the pics are here anymore. Yes, finasteride can cause bone loss. For certain (rare) unlucky individuals, finasteride disintegrates the skeleton. Could you be imagining things? Sure, I guess. Likely you are not. When I quit a year ago, I had the skeleton of a starving/famished person. A year on and it's made enormous progress rebuilding, but still a long way to go. To give an idea of just how depleted I was bone-wise, consider that there has not been a single instance in which I have slept 3+ hours since quitting (again, over a year) and not had bigger, denser bones somewhere on my body on waking up. I've done a thorough inventory each time and have become in general obsessive about it (as I think many would be). Despite a year's worth of bone growth, I still have quite a ways to go.

Based on my experience and reading about that of others similarly situated, I would stop taking the drug immediately. Last, a note on making a determination on the basis of pics: fat gain can create the illusion of fullness in the face. My face looks much fuller (hence seemingly more bone, one might think) in pics when I was at my most depleted. But I had sh** for bone - it was all fat and water.

Make your own determination. As I said before, it's possible you could be imagining things. Likely not in my humble opinion.
sorry for ur bad experience
how long did u use finasteride?

aletheia225

My Regimen
Reaction score
Meh, don't feel so bad for me, feel bad for the guys who have made zero progress getting better for 10+ years after quitting. Been very tough and still a long way to go, but I have improved an incredible amount and can (if faintly) see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I took finasteride for 6 months. But I had been on it previously 3 times. Based on pictures, each time I had bone depletion. But nothing as rapid and degenerating as this most recent stint, nor thyroid/adrenal issues to boot, as also with this most recent stint.