Blue light-emitting diodes in hair regrowth: the first prospective study

waynakyo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Italian study...

Abstract​

Different studies highlight photo-receptors' presence on the hair follicle that seems to be capable of eliciting hair growth. This study aims to demonstrate blue light's effectiveness on hair growth in patients affected by androgenetic alopecia. Twenty patients enrolled at Magna Graecia University Unit of Dermatology, affected by androgenetic alopecia, were treated with a blue LED light device at 417 ± 10 nm, fluence of 120 J/cm2, and power intensity of 60 mW/cm2 ± 20%. The treatments were performed twice a week for ten consecutive weeks. Patients were evaluated before and 1 month after the end of therapy clinically using standardized global photographs and dermoscopically estimating hair density and hair shaft width. An increase in hair density and hair shaft width was recorded in 90% of patients after 10 weeks. Photographic improvement was noted in 80% of the patients. No serious adverse events have been reported. The only side effect consisted in a darkening of the hair, perhaps due to melanic stimulation due to blue light in 2 patients. Blue light therapy is a promising therapy for patients affected by androgenetic alopecia and other diseases characterized by hair loss. Further studies will be necessary to confirm the findings of this preliminary study.

partysnacks

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's some before-after pictures here:
1623695048772.png

1623695063180.png

1623695078322.png

The results look similar to the usual red-light LLLT.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
So literally no difference, just different angles and combovers
Hmm, I think there is a result but only where there was already some hair. Patient 3 has the most hair and the most noticeable result as well. Lastly, patient 1 actually did thicken up around the edges, and noticeably so.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
If their hair merely stayed the same that's already a huge win, shining a light on your head twice a week > having to take pills that f*** with your hormones.

Unfortunately the study is short so we don't know what the long term prospects look like. The other problem is that commercial LED devices with a wavelength close to 417 nm seem unavailable. Closest I could find is 450-460 nm, and I don't know if that would be the same, assuming you want to replicate the study.