Biggest Scam- Opinions?

Redbone

Reaction score
In peoples opinions what is the biggest scam in hair loss society. I know there are many so be patient. For me it was Folliguard a company that was shut down do to false claims. Very expensive at over $100 per month for unproven results. Shen Mins another one.

feel free to join in :smoke:

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
As far as *size* ... ie.... "biggest" scam operation under way right now, definitely Nioxin. Not because its a totally bunk product, but because they have weeklong seminars training tens of thousands of hair stylists to think that it is safer and just as effective as Propecia and Rogaine. Because they use improper terms like "Washing DHT from the scalp". and "Cleaning out DHT from the follicles". It causes confusion and qualifies for misinformation.

The product itself contains one DHT Inhibiting Fatty Acid - one of the ones found in Revivogen. But that's it. It also contains Niacin which agitates the scalp to get all red and tingly and increase circulation. This can result in short term hair growth. So there's SOME legitimacy to it. But it costs an arm and a leg, and if you want that one Fatty Acid plus another 4 incredibly potent ones, you might as well get Revivogen. Way more bang for the buck. If you want growth stimulation, get Rogaine for $15 a month.

As far as pure snake oils go though, I'd say Fabao is the most widespread BS snake oil online...

And in the media definitely AVACOR and "Hair Advantage" (same product).

HairLossTalk.com

hopewas

Reaction score
hairgenesis, hairfantastique,..i tried both for a year when i first started losing hair. both did nothing

bombscience

Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
As far as *size* ... ie.... "biggest" scam operation under way right now, definitely Nioxin. Not because its a totally bunk product, but because they have weeklong seminars training tens of thousands of hair stylists to think that it is safer and just as effective as Propecia and Rogaine. Because they use improper terms like "Washing DHT from the scalp". and "Cleaning out DHT from the follicles". It causes confusion and qualifies for misinformation.

The product itself contains one DHT Inhibiting Fatty Acid - one of the ones found in Revivogen. But that's it. It also contains Niacin which agitates the scalp to get all red and tingly and increase circulation. This can result in short term hair growth. So there's SOME legitimacy to it. But it costs an arm and a leg, and if you want that one Fatty Acid plus another 4 incredibly potent ones, you might as well get Revivogen. Way more bang for the buck. If you want growth stimulation, get Rogaine for $15 a month.

As far as pure snake oils go though, I'd say Fabao is the most widespread BS snake oil online...

And in the media definitely AVACOR and "Hair Advantage" (same product).

HairLossTalk.com

And they are moving thier product like no other. Every beauty store is stocking it, and they have everyone on the bandwagon that it works. I still use thier conditioner, just cause I bought it and I like the minty smell, but that has no hairloss purpose. The shampoo is actually too harsh for my scalp.

Redbone

Reaction score
Yeah, thats right I forgot about Nioxin. I used this for months before I started rogaine. There are like seven products you need to take. My honey is a hair stylists and she gets it at half price but it was still way expensive. The lady who invented it swears it works better than rogaine and Propcia- "EAT ME"

They stock it in almost every salon and taught its great hair growing properties, well it did not do sh*t for me.

yesterday I saw a whole page ad in my newspaper for a product guaranteed to re-grow hair forgot the name though but will look for it. Full page add must have cost easy $10k. Seeme to be like avacor, had few photos and no pricing just a phone # to call.

nugget

Reaction score
folliguard and avacor should have been sued. as far as i know, they were putting minoxidil into their pills! :shock: that could be really dangerous. :evil:

Old Baldy

Reaction score
You guys are showing your "youth".

Nioxin is ROCKET SCIENCE (LOL) compared to the crap I saw as a kid.

This product survived into my childhood. It, along with many other jackass treatments, caused me to reject all other treatments until the year 2004!!!!

Scams abound and scams for selling baldness cures are an ever popular source of income. Some of the more infamous scams were invented in the early to mid part of this century. Western science was heralded as the answer to all the world population’s problems. People believed almost unquestioningly in modern science. Scam artists capitalized by dressing up their miracle cures in scientific clothes. Rather than providing pills and potions the sharks produced elaborate technological equipment that would provide this miracle cure. Pseudo principles of electricity or vacuums were made up to support the new technology. Perhaps the most widespread and frequently used baldness cure scam ever was based on the domestic vacuum. A helmet was put over the scalp and sealed with a rubber gasket to form an airtight chamber. A vacuum pump was then switched on. This scalp vacuuming was claimed to do a variety of things according to different manufacturers. The vacuum sucked impurities out of the hair follicles, it unclogged pores permitting hair growth, or the vacuum literally sucked the hair fiber from inside the scalp skin. The most popular explanation was that it stimulated the scalp and increased blood flow. This it certainly did. After the treatment, individuals had very red scalps as the result of a giant suction blister!

This vacum suction "thing" was patented in 1937 and hung around as bulls**t advertising until my childhood in the late 50's to early 60's (if I remember correctly).

This is the type of crap all us older guys saw when we were very young. :evil:

Bono

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
Nioxin is ROCKET SCIENCE (LOL) compared to the crap I saw as a kid.
There is no doubt that dishonesty and lying has become more complex and elaborate as we as a society have evolved. That says a lot for us as a race doesn't it?

Bono

Britannia

Reaction score
The biggest scam in hairloss? Without a doubt Propecia. OK it works, but it costs less than £1 to produce 28 tabs of 1mg Finasteride (so a local pharmacist tells me) yet we have to fork out £40. No wonder generic companies are having a field day with reasonably priced finasteride. I dont consider generic medication cheap, it just seems so low compared to the absurdly inflated prices charged by Merck to satisfy greedy shareholders. :-x

misterium

Reaction score
Merck = wallet rapists.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
pr0cerin makes claims of 88% success, and claims that its more effective than propecia..... all sorts of crap

The moderators need to put a STICKY on, stating that Pr0cerin, Avocar and other scam products are 100% SCAM.

I lost 10 months worth of hair whilst on pr0cerin, going from norwood 1.5 to almost norwood 3V.

The newbies should be educated and told what scam products are, so they wont fall for snake-oils and lose alot of hair!!

misterium

Reaction score
I remember ordering Pr0cerin when I first started thinning over a year ago.. I sent it back after taking 2 days worth of pills, because I read all the stuff on this site.

I got a refund, like everybody should do.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
THEY SHOULD POST MORE ABOUT SCAM PRODUCTS

I CANT ENPHASIZE THIS ENUFF

MODERATORS, PLEASE MAKE A STICKY, THAT POINTS OUT ALL THE SCAM PRODUCTS.

I DONT WANT ANY NEWBIES TO FOLLOW WHAT I DID AND GO FROM NORWOOD 1.5 TO 3V!

hair4now

Reaction score
Scams

For those of us in NZ, Australia and even the UK - I think Advanced Hair Studio would have to rate highly on the scam list. They charge a phenomanal amount (up to $6000 per year I've heard) for a years worth of Laser treatment. Also they advertise their strand by strand replacement technique - which is just a toupe attached by glue or by the hair on the side of your head.

Jacob

Reaction score
HairLossTalk.com..I thought Nioxin had more than one product. (You said "the product")
Last time I checked a couple contained SOD- they used liposomes..etc.

I've never used them...don't plan to either.