big3nme success so far after 8 months

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings HairLossTalk.com,

So my username is a bit outdated these days as I no longer just use the "big 3." My new username should really be kitchensinknme =) but who cares. I decided it was time for a post in the success stories because Ive gotten several comments from people asking what I did with my hair, did you dye it..etcetc.

My case is a bit different than just standard AA / male pattern baldness as i am diagnosed with LPP (Lichen PlanoPilaris) a scarring alopecia of the scalp. I also do have normal male pattern baldness in addition to this though. When starting treatment I didn't have too high of hopes because of a) fighting hair loss is a tough battle b) i had let my hair get extremely diffuse and c) i had to deal with the LPP in addition.

With that being said here is my current regimen with how long I've been on each.

-minoxidil - 5% Kirkland - 2x daily application of 3ml - 8 months

-Nizoral - 2% Generic - EOD - 8 months

-finasteride - 4 months of 1mg of finpecia - took a break for 1.5 months - now on -1.25mg of fincar for the last 2 months

-RU - 50-75mg daily mixed in 3ml EC + .75ml PPG - 2 months

-Skin Needling - derma roller .5mm needles- 1.5 months EOD

-emu oil // coconut oil - not really sure how often to use or when to apply but I use it when I feel like it

-MSM - 3000mg (i think its this much) daily - off and on for about 3 months now

-Curcumin - (not sure of dosage yet) - 2 pills a day - 3 days!

-ZMA - (zinc supplement) - 1 pill a day - 3 days!

-Fish Oil - (not sure of exact dosage) - 2 capsules a day - about 3 months now

I added curcumin//zma//oils to try to help my LPP inflammation. I have recently read a study suggesting a diabetes drug called Actos could treat LPP by doing something with insulin. I posted an article about this in the general forums.

You can't really see in these pictures but my hair is improving everywhere except for the crown (it might be improving a little bit but its hard to tell). Which is basically what i expected because that is the area affected by my LPP. Kind of ironic since thats the area that usually responds well to treatment.

Another thing I'll throw out there (and I think a lot of people experience this?) is that my right side // temple is a LOT worse than my left side. I might be crazy but I say its because I sleep with that side of my head on the pillow. Now maybe its not the actual rubbing/compression against the pillow but maybe my nightly topicals are getting rubbed off into the pillow on that side. Because of this I started sleeping on my back, which I find very hard to do.

My hair continues to get better and I don't see end in site for improvement. I still see and feel tons of tiny hairs all over my head and can see lots of white/colorless hairs. I have no doubt these all will eventually become as thick as my normal hair.

Another thing I am excited about is the only treatment I've really been on for a "significant" amount of time is minoxidil + nizoral. I could almost throw finasteride in there but I took a break for a while because when I switched to fincar from finpecia (around 4 months in) I thought I started experiencing sides and quit. Im on the train that sides from finasteride are mostly caused by one's own mind. You worry about having a low libido from it and that worry in fact causes a low libido. Also a lot of people dealing with hairloss are going through a lot of stress // depression about it and Im pretty sure that also contributes to the low libido sides. i try not to think about it and have had no real problems.

Hopefully consistent finasteride/ RU/Needling/Extra Vitamins/Oils will help push my regrowth even further.

Lastly, the only thing i am considering adding to my regimen at this point is some form of copper peptide. Im looking at tricomin and folligen. These itnerest me because of their claim at reversing scarring // repairing follicles. I think this could be great for me because a lot of my hairloss is from inflammation.

Anyways, sorry I wrote so much.. I could write all day about my hairloss experiences. Here are the pictures you all came here to see.

The best difference imo is when I did not buzz my hair. My 4 month and most recent 8 month (not buzzed) photos really show you how well I am doing.

Grew my hair out a bit right before my 4 month update:
[attachment=2:3ihr0xcv]4months_notbuzzed.PNG[/attachment:3ihr0xcv]

Grew my hair out again before my 8 month update to compare:
[attachment=1:3ihr0xcv]topfront_8months.PNG[/attachment:3ihr0xcv]

Here is my full transformation:
[attachment=0:3ihr0xcv]hairtransformation.PNG[/attachment:3ihr0xcv]

Attachments

• 4months_notbuzzed.PNG
    4months_notbuzzed.PNG
    164.6 KB · Views: 6,298
  • topfront_8months.PNG
    topfront_8months.PNG
    708.1 KB · Views: 839
  • hairtransformation.PNG
    hairtransformation.PNG
    1,012.6 KB · Views: 3,086

JWM

Reaction score
Couple of things:

1) Keep your head buzzed. It looks better and makes your male pattern baldness less detectable.

2) Did I read correct? You are applying 3 ml of minoxidil twice a day? That's a lot; you might not need that much.

3) As for adding a copper peptide product or SOD, I would check out Dr. Proctor's Prox-N. It has far more than just copper peptides, goes on clean, and dries quickly.

4) Consistency is key! Keep doing what you're doing, and congrats!

big3nme

Established Member
Reaction score
JWM said:
Couple of things:

1) Keep your head buzzed. It looks better and makes your male pattern baldness less detectable.

2) Did I read correct? You are applying 3 ml of minoxidil twice a day? That's a lot; you might not need that much.

3) As for adding a copper peptide product or SOD, I would check out Dr. Proctor's Prox-N. It has far more than just copper peptides, goes on clean, and dries quickly.

4) Consistency is key! Keep doing what you're doing, and congrats!

1) I agree, this is the first time I haven't buzzed my head (except for that 4 month mark). It's easier to tell how my hair is doing once it gets a little longer. Surprisingly I thought it looked a LOT better this time around. I guess my next haircut i'll try buzzing it but I don't mind the way it looks longer anymore.

2) Yeah I use 1ml for my crown, 1ml for the top, and 1ml for the front. I use a lot for 2 reasons. 1) It's extremely cheap. 2) The way I apply it I feel like a lot of it gets on my fingers and hair. I tend to rub it with my fingertips.

3) I've been searching these forums // reviews that I can find on tricomin/folligen/prox-n for a while now. I see mixed reviews about all of them so it's hard to really tell. Just have to pick one and try it I guess.

4) Exactly! I feel like a lot of people do not stay consistent or give up too easily and that is why these meds don't work for them.