BIG 3 - 7 Months - ZERO/NEGATIVE Progress (Pics)

@CMP1

Reaction score
UPDATE 10 MARCH 2015:

Im not sure if I am now hitting my first proper "shed" so PLEASE advise here, but my hair is very quickly going to look completely terrible; Its looking patchy and a lot of scalp is now visible all over my hairline and even the front part of my scalp....is this normal!?

I have ordered dutasteride today as strongly feel that after 8 months on finasteride I should have seen SOME improvement....so far none.

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
UPDATE 10 MARCH 2015:

Im not sure if I am now hitting my first proper "shed" so PLEASE advise here, but my hair is very quickly going to look completely terrible; Its looking patchy and a lot of scalp is now visible all over my hairline and even the front part of my scalp....is this normal!?

I have ordered dutasteride today as strongly feel that after 8 months on finasteride I should have seen SOME improvement....so far none.

Sorry but there is no answer. People will tell you to either stick with it or stop completely. I made a post earlier in this thread where I'm in a similar situation. I decided to stop finasteride. I know it accelerated my hairloss in the front and I don't want anymore to fall out. Just using minoxidil now and that's not helping much either.

dutasteride is definitely stronger..if anything will recover your hair its that. Hopefully you don't get sides. Good luck and post your results here after some time.

anijs

Reaction score
I decided to stop finasteride. I know it accelerated my hairloss in the front and I don't want anymore to fall out.

How can a DHT-blocker cause more hairloss? Maybe you had your first proper shed and new thick hairs are coming? I'm on finasteride 1.5 months now and my hair looks terrible. But every cloud has a silver lining... (hopefully)

@CMP1

Reaction score
How can a DHT-blocker cause more hairloss? Maybe you had your first proper shed and new thick hairs are coming? I'm on finasteride 1.5 months now and my hair looks terrible. But every cloud has a silver lining... (hopefully)

Im not sure, but all I know is my hairline, the density and the quality of my hair across the entire front portion of my head is now shocking. Under bright light, you can see where the hairline looks to be receding to meet in middle to form an island.

How long do shed's last? I will take some more pics and post up here because I will be starting dutasteride this week in an attempt to try and put a stop to this nonsense once and for all.

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
Im not sure, but all I know is my hairline, the density and the quality of my hair across the entire front portion of my head is now shocking. Under bright light, you can see where the hairline looks to be receding to meet in middle to form an island.

How long do shed's last? I will take some more pics and post up here because I will be starting dutasteride this week in an attempt to try and put a stop to this nonsense once and for all.

Sheds different for everyone. I hear some people never stop shedding and others stop within a 4-6 months before it starts back up again in the future. Some stop shedding for good. Do some reading on how often you should take dutasteride. Not sure if I'd take it everyday. And have you seen any results from minoxidil? I was getting tons of vellus hairs in the first few months and now I don't see them anymore. Might be because I stopped finasteride or they shed already. Also have you tried spironolactone?

@CMP1

Reaction score
Sheds different for everyone. I hear some people never stop shedding and others stop within a 4-6 months before it starts back up again in the future. Some stop shedding for good. Do some reading on how often you should take dutasteride. Not sure if I'd take it everyday. And have you seen any results from minoxidil? I was getting tons of vellus hairs in the first few months and now I don't see them anymore. Might be because I stopped finasteride or they shed already. Also have you tried spironolactone?

Well I was on Minoxidil for a while before starting finasteride and I think the most it was doing was growing hairs to replace the ones that I was losing from male pattern baldness.

I have actually started topical spire (the night time formula) that I purchased from here and apply it to the hairline too. Why did you stop finasteride? in my case, my reason for wanting to stop finasteride is that its not improving my hair i.e. not working after 8 months, not as a result of sides.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
your hair looks the same. I don't know what you are smoking where you think it is worse

@CMP1

Reaction score
your hair looks the same. I don't know what you are smoking where you think it is worse

Yeah sorry mate, but seeing as I am the guy who lives with it everyday I think I'm more qualified to comment on its quality than you are.

loco88

Reaction score
Dude sorry to say but finasteride wont acelerate hairloss... I know you r just worried but this is totally miss information.

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
CMP1, any update on your hair since switching to dutasteride? Any shed? You still using minoxidil religiously?

I got back on finasteride/min after stopping for a month. Also switched from generic finasteride to merck propecia. Been on it for 3 weeks now and had a terrible shed. Might be from stopping min for a while.

@CMP1

Reaction score
CMP1, any update on your hair since switching to dutasteride? Any shed? You still using minoxidil religiously?

I got back on finasteride/min after stopping for a month. Also switched from generic finasteride to merck propecia. Been on it for 3 weeks now and had a terrible shed. Might be from stopping min for a while.

Hey David,

I have been on dutasteride .5mg for just shy of a month now (started 26 March) so probably too early to tell. I am taking it twice a week to break in slowly, and taking finasteride for the other days. TOUCH WOOD - no shed, but then my hairline has got to a very sparse stage anyway.

The hairline is still there around NW2/2.5 ish however the density is poor from the edge for about 1 inch back on both sides. Will keep you posted on how it goes......there are still hundreds of little white hairs coming from my hairline though.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes still using Minoxidil 5% twice a day, 1ml to the hairline before bed and the same in the morning about 5 minutes after showering.

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
CMP1, its been almost 4 months since switching to dutasteride. How is your progress? Are your maintaining? Growth? Loss? Please update :D

brandnew88

Established Member
Reaction score
When people disappear like this it makes me think they had awesome success and don't feel the need to come back here. I just hope thats the case for their sake. lol

dusty

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly why did you get on dutasteride when your hair looks great...

David.G

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly why did you get on dutasteride when your hair looks great...

Well he saw some hairloss while on finasteride but we cannot see in them in the photos. His hair does look nice though.

@CMP1

Reaction score
Well he saw some hairloss while on finasteride but we cannot see in them in the photos. His hair does look nice though.

Hi David, All,

So its been about four/five months since I started taking dutasteride; I alternated between 2.5mg finasteride and 0.5mg of dutasteride EOD; so one day finasteride, one day dutasteride and so on.

I have been through a few more small sheds and went through a phase of my hair looking truly shocking...the temples got very patchy and I was longing to get an edge of forest hairline look again.

Anyway, recently I took a look at some photos and whilst one temple (the left) seems to have gotten slightly better.....the right temple has got much worse!?!:badmood:.

So my question back to everyone would be;

1. Switch to 10% minoxidil to try and repair the one hairline?
2. Remove finasteride from my regimen and stay on dutasteride EOD?

Also...the reason I stopped coming on this forum for a while was because this whole hairless thing was consuming my life, my job, everything. I needed some time off from it and basically, by taking dutasteride that the very most I can do to tackle this curse right?!