Beware of too frequent nizoral use

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Castration will stop further loss, regrowth might be minimal if at all.

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
minoxidil can cause seb dermatitis so some people use it to fight the side-effects of minoxidil on the scalp, then later the bogus studies that were ordered by the makers of Nizoral came out stating that keto is a "mild" DHT inhibitor and that it is comparable to 2% minoxidil.

It must have gotten popular because the makers of Nizoral raised the price in the last year and people in the US have trouble getting it.

Lol Quadzilla99... never imagined that Nizoral would have a fanboy. I'm not dissing it, if you have seborrhea use it, for fighting hair loss it's not necessary.
1%:

Reduces shedding and makes hair thicker:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18498517

http://www.anagen.net/k9.htm

2%:

About as effective as 2% minoxidil:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9669136

(nizoral + Propecia more effective than Propecia alone):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12227482

21 month study with graph (best results seen from months 6-15):

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/03/2-nizoral-shampoo-increases-hair-growth.html

Small Japanese 2% cream study with before/after photos of two subjects:

http://www.hairsite.com/hair-loss/forum_entry-id-25116-page-0-category-0-order-last_answer.html

Scientists shaved mice repeatedly and applied either ketoconazole or a vehicle solution to their skin and the mice who received ketoconazole repeatedly demonstrated "a macroscopically significant stimulatory effect". In other words their hair grew like crazy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15863844

small scale study 2% keto more effective than 2% minoxidil:

http://inhumanexperiment.blogspot.com/2009/03/2-nizoral-shampoo-increases-hair-growth_12.html

abcdefg

Reaction score
I was just saying nizoral is highly over rated. Its barely effective if at all. Maybe it helps with seb derm or dandruff but so do plenty of other less expensive shampoos just use head and shoulders or something there is no difference. Shampoo in general for hair loss makes no major difference just like all the people constantly saying this or that in their diet made their hair loss stop or whatever its all bunk. Androgen and sensitivity pretty simple really.

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just saying nizoral is highly over rated. Its barely effective if at all. Maybe it helps with seb derm or dandruff but so do plenty of other less expensive shampoos just use head and shoulders or something there is no difference. Shampoo in general for hair loss makes no major difference just like all the people constantly saying this or that in their diet made their hair loss stop or whatever its all bunk. Androgen and sensitivity pretty simple really.
lol

abcdefg

Reaction score
For 20 years I shampoo same way on the same schedules and I ate the same diet whether it was good or bad. Then magically at a certain age my hair starts to slowly have some that miniaturized that maybe through coincidence coincides with increased body hair and facial hair. Is it the shampoos have SLS or some chemical killing my hair? Is my diet missing some key ingredients causing this recent change? Could it be natural hormone related changes that happen as I aged? I dont know the answer but my intuition combined with my observations of older guys that still have Norwood 0 generally have abnormally low amounts of facial/body hair leads me to agree that is hormone related and under nearly 0 control of you short of finasteride or castration I guess. I really have some serious doubts that your shampoo or diet is changing anything long term for you except maybe making your wallet lighter or diet is good for health so no harm on fixing that.
I have met guys that are 40 years old that could pass for being 18 with Norwood 0 and they drink, eat garbage and all that its really hard to explain that someone with that diet has experienced no hair loss if diet could make a significant difference in the long run. I just have never heard anyone explain how that could happen the only argument is they dont have the genes but it still seems it would trigger some hair loss.

resu

Reaction score
I know about those studies, you'd be surprised at how many things are comparable to 2% minoxidil that end up not having any practical results in the end.

All_The_Above

Established Member
Reaction score
I can confirm with the OP that using Nizoral too often can be severely damaging to the hair. I used to like how thick my hair looked after using Nizoral, that I started using it every day. I never noticed any hairs coming out, but after two months of this regimen, my hair started to look dramatically thin, perhaps 50 percent thinner than before. I stopped Nizoral 6 months ago. About three months after stopping it, my hair started to thicken back up nicely. For the last month, though, my hair has been getting thinner and thinner. I don't get it. I take Dutasteride every night and apply liberal amount of minoxidil to a damp scalp. Nothing stops this nightmare.

I have a question for abcdefg. What's the relationship between increased facial and body hair and hair loss on the head? I have also noticed a relationship between the two in myself, but I assumed the minoxidil was causing the additional facial and body hair.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I suspect that DHT and all forms of testosterone are involved in triggering body hair/facial hair to start growing in some way. CB 03 01 they mention marketing it as treatment for unwanted facial facial and it works supposedly by interfering with T and DHT. Each hair is susceptible to androgens to a different degree. Opposite reaction between facial hair/body hair and then head hair so androgens are the root cause and of course your sensitivity to the androgens which seems to not be that well understood as to why that is.
Hormones just change naturally as we age so that explains why male pattern baldness changes all the time with speeds and does not just stay constant. It seems like we would have some charts on as men age do androgens decrease and if they do why does male pattern baldness speed up or does it just keep progressing at normal speed it and why?

M_Dorsey

Reaction score
I think using it every 2-4 days would be good. Leave it on your scalp for 5-10 minutes. When you stop using it the mild anti-androgen effect will cease and your hair loss will increase again

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 2 times a week now after using it up to 4 times a week, some people are more sensitive to the topical Keto, me, I noticed it made my hair horribly frizzy, still does in most cases.

I use it Monday and Friday, leaving it my hair for 15 minutes.

Quadzilla99

Established Member
Reaction score
Even if you ignore those studies there were a ton of anecdotal reports about nizoral preventing hair loss before those studies even came out especially on people using steroids. I first read about it in Muscle Media magazine in the mid 1990s where a guy named Michael Mooney reported that it stopped hair loss cold in a bunch of people using certain steroids. John Romano also talked about it in Muscular Development at the same time. So there were tons of anecdotal reports that it worked before any of those studies ever existed.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I use 2 times a week now after using it up to 4 times a week, some people are more sensitive to the topical Keto, me, I noticed it made my hair horribly frizzy, still does in most cases.

I use it Monday and Friday, leaving it my hair for 15 minutes.

do you stand in the shower for 15 minutes? Or just apply it and get on with doing other things?

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol, busted? How would what he said denote I was busted? Odd statement there RP3X.

@ QC, yeah, just before I get in the shower, I apply into my hair, message it around, I do that topless, then I get buck nekked and shower, 10-15 minutes later I get out of the shower and then wash it out. I have a retractable shower head, so yeah, it's pretty easy. Sometimes I apply it, and have a cigarette and a cuppa tea and wait.

ldk13

Reaction score
lol, busted? How would what he said denote I was busted? Odd statement there RP3X.

@ QC, yeah, just before I get in the shower, I apply into my hair, message it around, I do that topless, then I get buck nekked and shower, 10-15 minutes later I get out of the shower and then wash it out. I have a retractable shower head, so yeah, it's pretty easy. Sometimes I apply it, and have a cigarette and a cuppa tea and wait.

Like you I also use nizoral every mon, fri. I put it on while I am in the shower and then I get out to shave [I need to use a mirror while I shave I just cant do it in the shower]. But I leave the nizoral in while I shave which gives it time to soak in. When I am done, I get back in the shower for a few more minutes to rinse it off.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
lol, busted? How would what he said denote I was busted? Odd statement there RP3X

I think what he meant was that for the 15 mins you wait you're getting on with something a little more sensual 

That's what I thought anyway.

jazz1

Reaction score
I use regenepure daily and I also use nizoral maybe 2-3 times week, I'm fine but then again I use divine herbal hair oil every other day left over night so maybe my natural oils are replaced as nizoral does strip away everything hence why hair thins on frequent use as your hair needs food oils etc.