Best ways to deal with thin spot on the top/crown?

halpmeplease

Reaction score
I have this huge spot on the top of my head that I feel is just getting bigger, I'm using Propecia and nizoral, but anyway...

I thought if I cut it short all over with a buzz cut it would help but I think it looks worse now. So I'm going to let it grow back out for a few weeks and not cut it so short anymore, but what are some ways to deal with this?

I also have Nanogen but haven't tried it yet. The spot looks bad because my hair is dark and thick all over but on top there's this huge glaring thin spot :(

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
concealers like toppik work great on thinning crowns.

beaner

Reaction score
Why don't you use minoxidil?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's what I do-and this should work for you since you say you have thick hair on the rest of your head-, just let your hair grow a bit longer so that some covers your bald spot. Get some Dermmatch and Toppik(or other hair fibers).
Put the Dermmatch on your spot(and you don't have to but you can get some on the hair surrounding it and the hair that will be going over it). Comb that hair over it, then add some hair fibers, and hair spray it to help make it stick. Works like a charm and is very natural looking.

vikings1234

Reaction score
I think you posted about this before so not sure if you did get it

But I can't stress how much dermmatch has done for me. Literally my hairline is in tact, the right kind of hair product but my crown is thin, noticeable thing without it. Dermmatch is that best product and I am so freaking thankful for it. It cost like 20$ I would gladly pay 200+$ for a disc if it ever came to that. Propecia has stopped my hairloss and even feels thicker after 4 months.

by the way my hair is real short I do 1/2 inch back and sides and top slightly longer. Just make sure not to use a ton of dermmatch a small amount goes a long way

Good luck

halpmeplease

Reaction score
Hey thanks to all of you for the replies.

beaner,

I used Rogaine for a while, but got tired of dealing with it and also read that the hair may get dependent on it. I also didn't like the smell, and just hated using it. I dropped one bottle into the toilet and just stopped using it completely haha.

Vinton,

I have Dermmatch coming in the mail right now, and I will try it out. But what if I just use fibres?

vikings,

Yep, I have Dermmatch coming in the mail.

But anyway, I just used Nanogen for the first time and was AMAZED! My head looked so good with it! It looked like I had a full head of hair! I'm sure Dermmatch will give a similar look, and I'll try that out too and see which one I'm more comfortable with.

Dermmatch seems like it would stay in better. With the Nanogen, I'm just scared that people are going to notice it or it's going to come flying out of my head like dust or something haha. I'm still amazed and am going to consider using this in public. Haha, I just haven't gotten confident enough with it to go out in public with it yet, but it really does look pretty natural.

Also, should I get the Nanogen Locking Mist? Or would hair spray do the same thing? Does anyone here use the Locking Mist?

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
halpmeplease said:
Vinton,

I have Dermmatch coming in the mail right now, and I will try it out. But what if I just use fibres?
You can do that, but you will probably be using up your fibers faster that way. Putting Dermmatch down first lets you use less fibers.

But again, it depends on how much hairloss you have. If you just had a little spot of diffuse balding, you could get away with just a little bit of fibers.

halpmeplease said:
Also, should I get the Nanogen Locking Mist? Or would hair spray do the same thing? Does anyone here use the Locking Mist?
I have never used "locking mist". Any hairspray will do, but I like to use one that doesn't build up quickly and get flaky. Right now I am using Nexxus Maxximum super hold styling and finishing spray. It tends to work pretty well, and doesn't have a strong smell like some others. But I am always on the lookout for a better spray.

halpmeplease

Reaction score
Cool Vinton. Yeah, I don't think I have a very huge spot of thinning, because I only have to use a few shakes and I'm good with the Nanogen so maybe it's not so bad.

As far as the hairspray, I got some called The Dry Look For Men. I don't know anything about hairsprays but it looked like it was okay and had good reviews on amazon so I ordered it. I will remember to try out what you suggested if I don't like it though. I never expected to be using a hairspray in my life haha.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
How does the Nano look after a night on the pillows? That's my biggest gripe with the fibres.... They look ridiculous. It's not like rubbed off, it shows these big holes with black leopard spots when you wake up.
Wonder if Derma will help that, never used that one

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
halpmeplease said:
Cool Vinton. Yeah, I don't think I have a very huge spot of thinning, because I only have to use a few shakes and I'm good with the Nanogen so maybe it's not so bad.
You're lucky, then. Yeah, if you can get away with just a few sprinkles of fibers, more power to you. I wouldn't even use Dermmatch if I didn't have to. I used to use Prothik as my 1st level of crown coverup, much like I use Dermmatch now, but Prothik was just way too messy.

halpmeplease said:
As far as the hairspray, I got some called The Dry Look For Men. I don't know anything about hairsprays but it looked like it was okay and had good reviews on amazon so I ordered it. I will remember to try out what you suggested if I don't like it though. I never expected to be using a hairspray in my life haha.
I used tons of hairspray even when I did have hair. You know that hole in the ozone layer? That was me. :punk:

Back then I used to complain because my hair would grow too fast after a haircut and would ruin the hairstyle I wanted. I miss those days. :sobbing: :)

How is the Dry Look For Men working? I might want to try it.

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
Esprit said:
How does the Nano look after a night on the pillows? That's my biggest gripe with the fibres.... They look ridiculous. It's not like rubbed off, it shows these big holes with black leopard spots when you wake up.
Wonder if Derma will help that, never used that one

Two words: Black neck pillow.

Ok, that was three, but that is what I use. Well, it's not exactly a neck pillow, but it is kind of narrow. And only the bottom half of my head rests on it. It helps alot with any of that rubbing off stuff. I haven't had that problem for a long while.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hi mate, It's not the pillow that concerns me........ that just brushes off and they are black, It's the state of my crown area that concerns me more!!! Oh I get you, sounds uncomfortable? No support for top back of head?

I'm so with you on the fast hair growth after the cut!!!

Vinton Harper

Established Member
Reaction score
No, not too uncomfortable. May take some getting used to though. The Japanese used to sleep on those small neck pillow things in days of old, so it is kind of like that.

As for the back of my head, well, I generally sleep on my side anyway so that is not too much of a problem, but the pillow wouldn't touch my crown area even if I did sleep on my back.