Best method of getting a toned body

mu0325

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk, take Lessofarockstar advice and toss the rest in the trash if you want to beef up...

if you want a beef up you have to train hard and eat like there is no tomorrow. Not junk food but healthy food.

StoptheMadness

Established Member
Reaction score
There's tone, there's bulk and there's strength.

I would suggest to get both toned and have the strength (without the bulk). If you want to gain strength, you have to overload the muscle by doing low reps. This will not cause you to bulk. You will only bulk if you perpetually hit the gym using low rep exercises, all the freaking time + high protein meals all the time and no cardio.

It's okay to use low rep/heavy weights to gain strength. But you should eat balanced meals and do cardio of course.

G

hairhaircomeagain said:
joeylloyd said:
Diet - Consume upto 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Keep cals/carbs high and fat low except for fish oils.

1g of protien per pound...Are you sure ?? You mean I should have 168g of protien each day. Isnt that too much. I have heard that men around my age ( 26) should have arnd 50-60g of protien...Ok If you are working out maybe a little more...but 168g each day??

I normally have over 200 grams of protein a day. It's not hard with 40 grams in a chicken breast and 40 in a can of tuna and a couple protein shakes a day. And I weigh 175.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You dont really need such an excessive amount of protein. The 1gram per pound of bodyweight rule is only for hardcore lifters.

G

s.a.f said:
You dont really need such an excessive amount of protein. The 1gram per pound of bodyweight rule is only for hardcore lifters.

it fills me up and keeps me from eating too much. it won't do any harm eating as much as i do.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
I'm currently interested in getting muscular and I am interested in people's experiences in this area. I know the obvious answer is "the gym" but i have seen many guys who do lots of weights, and have big bulky muscles but no real definition. A friend of mine is a gymnast and a martial artist, and does hardly any weights, and has the best body in the world.

I'm currently a very thin guy, nearly 19, above average height. However, i constantly get girls commenting on the definition of my "six pack", so i don't want to get too big and beefy, thus gaining strength but losing my definition. I don't want to "beef up," i just want to get toned.

I'm wondering if taking up a martial art, or perhaps yoga, in conjuction with some gym work would be the best method?

Let's hear from everyone about what your own personal ways of getting a toned body are!

You are in the right track buddy. I can assure you that most girls preffer a toned and ripped guy with defined muscles, than someone BIG and all pumped with less definition, like off-season bodybuilders, I heard lots of commets of girls that say they preffer defined guys rather than off-season huge bodybuilders, who they consider "monsters". Even someone with huge defined mass like Ronnie Coleman is considered a "monster" by most girls I talked to. So, not huge mass and ripped body is the way to go if you want to produce the erection of the clitoris. :lol:

So, basically you are in the right track. I advice you to do gym, But also do Aerobic exercise (i think you call it Cardio in USA). Most of the guys I know that work out, never do aerobics, and they are HUGE, but not ripped. Of course I'm talking about guys who don't take steroids. Because with roids it's easier to get huge and ripped at same time, with no cardio. And they are already following a high protein diet, but they can't get ripped, only huge. And they are doing low reps exercises (for volume). For example Bench press with 100 pounds each side and 5 reps. And the whole routine that way. But they are happy with their bodies, they like being huge and not ripped. :)

Also the most important thing is DIET. Be sure to get a Low Fat Diet and feed your muscles with Protein, and you will do good with a decent work out. :wink:

Good luck man. :wink:

Felk

Reaction score
A bit of an update - my routine has changed a fair bit but i've mainly been doing a lot of bench pressing and free weights, and taking whey protein every day. My body is coming along nicely, with the shoulders, forearms and pecs becomming bigger and more defined. I've gone from 55kg to 60kg and certainly haven't put on any fat.

Triceps - biggest gains here (which I swear swelled to twice their original size ever since i used a narrower grip on the bench) making my arms a fair bit thicker. Biceps aren't improving very quickly

Pecs gotten a fair bit bigger, but shoulder muscles only slightly, which is annoying because broad muscly shoulders are what I'm really after.

"Six pack" has become much more defined, despite not doing any ab work, it's more like an eight pack now. I'm naturally defined there though because i'm skinny, i've sorta always had one.

However it's taken me so long and really hard work outs to make progress, I think due to my metabolism and age I'm certainly a "hard gainer" I will continue to pump hard and hope for similar improvements, but it really takes a lot of motivation and I'm not always consistent.

Thanks for the advice everyone, this is really something that makes you feel good. Healthy and strong my friends!

CCS

Reaction score
To stimulate both fast twitch and slow twich fibers, you need to do sets in the 4-8 rep range and in the 15-25 rep range, for maximum size, though the fast twict fibers, which are stimulated in the 4-8 rep range, will give you the majority of your size.

To get toned, you have to lose body fat and buld muscles that are big enough to show shape through the skin, and make them strong enough that they can lightly contract even when they are resting.

To gain mass, you do have to consume more than you burn. But make sure you don't tear your muscles down more than you can make them recover from before the next workout. 3-5 reps of each muscle group is just fine. Also use active recovery.

I'm 150 pounds and I think I probably get about 120 grams of protein each day.

To burn fat fast, use your legs. But don't do it all at once. Spread it out through the day so you don't burn any muscle. You can build muscle faster when you get fat because your muscles always have fuel when they need it. If you can predict exactly how much fuel you need, and only eat it when you need it, you can get big just as fast without gaining fat, but the amount is different for everyone and hard to predict.

Only do what you can maintain. There is no point in busting your but to build muscle and stretch your skin if you are going to slack off later and let them shrink back, though you don't need to work as hard to maintain as you do to build.

Try a veriety of exercises for each muscle group, instead of doing the same exercise 4 times in a workout.

To work slow twich muscles, do 5 sets of 15-25 reps with 30 second reps in between. To work fast twich muscles, do 3-4 sets of 4-8 reps with 90 seconds between sets, and maybe an active recover set for the opposing muscle group between sets. (I have a 4 day schedule)

Don't schedule rest days. Just take them when you are sore, preferably with active recover sets.

And you don't have to work super hard to get big or cut. Just do your final sets to failure, and your first 2-4 sets to near failure in good form. A heart beat of 125 is good. You can go higher on your slow twitch days. I have a 4 days on fast twitch, 4, on medium, and 4 on slow, and back again. 12 days total in my cycle. My strength went up 15% in a month, and I've been working out for a long time.

CCS

Reaction score
Remember: if you can do more than 30 reps of an exercise, or 5 sets, then you are not using enough weight. And going faster does not matter either. It is the time the weight is in the air and your arms are not locked. If you go slower, you should do fewer reps, or else you are just doing slow twitch exercise. If you are able to lift a weight really fast, that means it is too light for you. So if someone says you are slacking because you are not moving fast, tell them they are slacking because they are using weight that is too light for them. You can probably get in shape at 155 beats per minute just as fast as you can at 180 beats per minute, but with fewer risks. Your weight workout can turn into a cardio session. You only need 40 minutes of weights per day.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Felk - are you doing anything for legs? Nothing is more ridiculous than someone with a great upper body, but twig legs/calves. I call them light bulb guys (picture how a light bulb looks)...Big on top, skinny at the base. :)

Since you didn't mention legs, I'm assuming you fell prey to the common gym lifting routines of only upper body. Don't become lightbulb man!

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
try masturbating every 6 hours.

My forearms rule! :hairy:

mgmt

Reaction score
I_Hate_DHT said:
You are in the right track buddy. I can assure you that most girls preffer a toned and ripped guy with defined muscles, than someone BIG and all pumped with less definition, like off-season bodybuilders, I heard lots of commets of girls that say they preffer defined guys rather than off-season huge bodybuilders, who they consider "monsters". Even someone with huge defined mass like Ronnie Coleman is considered a "monster" by most girls I talked to. So, not huge mass and ripped body is the way to go if you want to produce the erection of the clitoris. :lol:

Most girls would probably consider someone as massive as Coleman a monster, simply because he f*****g is dude. The man he been to my gym in New Brunswick, NJ (along with Wrath from universal http://www.animalpak.com/)and had to turn sideways in order to get through the door way. Pictures do not do him justice, as you've mabybe seen him in a mag or whatever. Try searching youtube for one of his short clips..

And besides, most chicks are full of sh!t.. Ask them how many partners they've had and let me know how honest you think that answer is... :ideias:

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mgmt said:
I_Hate_DHT said:

Most girls would probably consider someone as massive as Coleman a monster, simply because he f****ing is dude.

No way! Not even close. Most normal women dont want obsessed men who are self centered like bodybuilders. No attention to them.

CCS

Reaction score
They just say that because they can't get one. Any woman who says she does not like six pack abs is lying. She just says that because she can't get a guy who has them, or she knows he won't bow down to her. Every pretty woman I asked said she loves a good body. I've seen it too by who the pretty women date. Its usually the fat ones who say they don't care. The only time a pretty woman will say she does not like abs is if she is with a tall guy with a big penis, who does not have abs. Shed like to have all of those qualities in her guy, but since she sacrificed one for the other, she'll deny that she wants the other ones.

Its just like men who say they would rather have a fat woman with D's than a fit woman with a well shaped B.

Many women won't even ask out men, just because they want to always be able to say that they were never rejected in their life.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Honestly, how many people do you know that are "monsters" like Coleman? Maybe 1 in 1,000,000? Why did he even come up in this conversation?

I can assure you that none of us have to worry about getting that huge unless we're juicing big time...Even then, we probably don't have the genetics to get that big. I'd bet that even if you were a roid freak that you'd never get even 1/2 his size...

All the talk about worrying that weight lifting will just get you too huge is BS. Show me 1 natural body builder that's Coleman freaky big.

Just lift the f*cking weights and stop worrying that you'll end up looking like a "monster" cause it's not going to happen.

s.a.f

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
They just say that because they can't get one. Any woman who says she does not like six pack abs is lying. She just says that because she can't get a guy who has them, or she knows he won't bow down to her. Every pretty woman I asked said she loves a good body. I've seen it too by who the pretty women date. Its usually the fat ones who say they don't care. The only time a pretty woman will say she does not like abs is if she is with a tall guy with a big penis, who does not have abs. Shed like to have all of those qualities in her guy, but since she sacrificed one for the other, she'll deny that she wants the other ones.

CCS, I read this post with dismay as it just seems to sum up many of the other ones you've posted. It shows an unbalanced way of thinking. Sorry I dont mean any offence but I think that you are wrong on this one. I dont mean to pick on you exclusivly but I've seen others on here who seem to think that they can get women as long as they have a great (gym)body. Maybe this is why you seem obsessed with your appearance and working out. Do you feel as if you're not up to standard if you dont have a great body.
Women in general are not so much hung up on looks as men are. (Actualy they are but only critisicing their own bodies). Things like confidence, personality and success are just as important and attractive to women as looks. And when it comes to looks 90% of what matters is from the neck up.
Men and women have very different opinions on what the perfect body is. Most men consider it to be somone with bodybuilder type phsique. Large muscle mass, huge shoulders, big traps, powerful arms etc. While women just prefer someone who is lean with a fairly athletic shape. I've often heard women talk about how David Beckham has the perfect body, but when I see him without a shirt on he has skinny arms, puny chest and barely any six pack. Anyway 99% of women are not looking for the perfect physique as long as you dont have a huge beergut you will be fine.
The other day you had a post about how women are turned on by a great body and ended up by saying "I'm off down the gym."
Well what would you do if you had this bodybuilder physique? Do you think women would just throw themselves at you? You will still need to be able to talk the talk if you want to suceed with the women and big muscles (or penis) will not be able to do that for you. Again this post is not meant to critisice you personally but its just a point that I feel needs making on this Healthand fitness section.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it helps if you look at the men that are listed as the sexiest in the world- Clooney, Affleck, Pitt, Damon, etc. none of those guys are huge, cut maybe, fit, but not huge. Christ, I've known women who are gorgeous, and some tell me Dustin Hoffman is sexy (this is a while ago). From what I understand, he has a very strong "rap" with women, and would hold his own with Warren Beatty, in the old days. Your look has to tie in with your character. But don't be fooled, there are alot of women who also dig a good build- not a freaky roid build, but the 6 pack is always a plus. Women want to be listened to- they want to know you think what they say is "important", and listening and remembering will get you pretty far. Just avoid, at all F**king costs, the friend zone. Once in the friend zone, you can almost never escape. When I used to find myself in that situation, I'd just stop calling. Period. sorry, but there is no cure for the friend zone. Women will string you along, and you'll waste time and $. Why waste a moment of your free time with a woman who is waiting for someone "better" than you? Life is short, and ther is always someone for everyone.

CCS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Do you think women would just throw themselves at you? You will still need to be able to talk the talk if you want to suceed with the women ...

Yes, I've seen it happen many times. And conversation is a TWO way street. You can be the best conversationalist in the world, but if she just looks the other way when you are talking, it won't work. If she likes you, she will glow when you talk to her, and will help the conversation. I've talked to women who had few other options and were willing to try me, and the convo went very well. And I've seen hot women run up to hot guys and just find any excuse to start a conversation and keep it going, even if there were 5 other hot women trying to talk to him at the same time.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Unless you find a girl who likes you for you, and not just your appearance the chances of you being happy and having a lasting relationship are slim.