Best method of getting a toned body

Felk

Reaction score
I'm currently interested in getting muscular and I am interested in people's experiences in this area. I know the obvious answer is "the gym" but i have seen many guys who do lots of weights, and have big bulky muscles but no real definition. A friend of mine is a gymnast and a martial artist, and does hardly any weights, and has the best body in the world.

I'm currently a very thin guy, nearly 19, above average height. However, i constantly get girls commenting on the definition of my "six pack", so i don't want to get too big and beefy, thus gaining strength but losing my definition. I don't want to "beef up," i just want to get toned.

I'm wondering if taking up a martial art, or perhaps yoga, in conjuction with some gym work would be the best method?

Let's hear from everyone about what your own personal ways of getting a toned body are!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I've been a competitive swimmer most of my life.

I can safely say that swimming is the best physical activity--

It gives you tons of definitition.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
BASICALLY - and i mean basically..

lots of high repetitions sets with light to light-medium resitance weights will give you definition, it tones the muscles.

smaller numbers of high resitance weights, where say 8 exhausts your muscles will get them bigger but not necessarily with much definition.

This is the basic principle - but a lot of it genetically defined.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
hellohello said:

lots of high repetitions sets with light to light-medium resitance weights will give you definition, it tones the muscles.

smaller numbers of high resitance weights, where say 8 exhausts your muscles will get them bigger but not necessarily with much definition.

BS! sorry buddy, no offense intended, but it is plain wrong.

There is no such thing as defining rep-range. You don't tone your muscles that way. You gain mass or you dont! it is as simple as that. The reason you get well defined toned muscles is due to a low body fat percentage.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:
I'm currently interested in getting muscular and I am interested in people's experiences in this area. I know the obvious answer is "the gym" but i have seen many guys who do lots of weights, and have big bulky muscles but no real definition. A friend of mine is a gymnast and a martial artist, and does hardly any weights, and has the best body in the world.

I'm currently a very thin guy, nearly 19, above average height. However, i constantly get girls commenting on the definition of my "six pack", so i don't want to get too big and beefy, thus gaining strength but losing my definition. I don't want to "beef up," i just want to get toned.

I'm wondering if taking up a martial art, or perhaps yoga, in conjuction with some gym work would be the best method?

Let's hear from everyone about what your own personal ways of getting a toned body are!

Felk,
The reason why people seem to get fat when they put on a lot of muscle is that it is the easiest way to put on mass is bulking (- you take in tons of carbs along with all the protein you need for building muscle), but many never accomplish to run a decent cut afterwards where you lose all the extra fat you put on while bulking.

1 if you want to gain mass fast: bulk and then cut.
2 If you want to gain some muscle but not lose definition: Train hard, keep diet high in protein and low in fat. Your gains will be slower but you wont have to bulk up.
3 If you want to stay skinny do lots of cardio and high rep (12+)exercise which will pretty much get you nowhere (unless you are going for endurance) :roll:

What I would recommend is that you work out hard in the gym trying to gain as much as possible (with a beginner level progressive gainer program) and eat loads of protein (supplement protein and perhaps creatine). Since you don't want to bulk (neither do I) this is the way to do it. You can do cardio too, but be aware that it will slow down your gains if you overdo it.

Remember you cannot get anymore defined, if you are already at a really low bf without putting on some muscle. And dont worry you wont blow up like a whale or lose your definition if you watch your diet. Of course not.

Three things to succesful fitness training: Hard work in the gym, good diet, and rest (people seem to forget the importance of restitution and good sleep)
So basically:

Eat what you eat now and supplement with some high percentage whey protein.

Start a good training regimen with reasonable and constant progression.

Sorry for this long *** thread... I hope it's useful even though it's a mess. :lol:

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Lessofarockstar said:
hellohello said:

There is no such thing as defining rep-range. You don't tone your muscles that way. You gain mass or you dont! it is as simple as that. The reason you get well defined toned muscles is due to a low body fat percentage.

No offence taken, I was just told this by my personal trainer at the gym and it seems to be working - slowly.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
hellohello said:
Lessofarockstar said:
hellohello said:

No offence taken, I was just told this by my personal trainer at the gym and it seems to be working - slowly.

Yeah the thing about personal trainers... It costs $50 to get a certificate in the US. Here where I live you dont even need a certificate to call yourself a personal trainer.
What kind of rep-range did he tell you to do?

joeylloyd

Established Member
Reaction score
Felk said:

Best forum for this is bodyrecomposition.com

As far as training goes a mix of heavier work followed by lighter high rep sets is good with the aim to add weight/reps as and when you can. No new stimulus = no growth.

Diet - Consume upto 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Keep cals/carbs high and fat low except for fish oils.

Supplements - Creatine works. Thats's about it.

Drugs - Well apart from the obvious (steroids, growth hormone) stuff like cabergoline and bromocriptine is good for creating a more naturally defined look. As a bonus they can reduce gyno and boost sex drive - something hairloss meds both hurt.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
joeylloyd said:
Diet - Consume upto 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Keep cals/carbs high and fat low except for fish oils.

1g of protien per pound...Are you sure ?? You mean I should have 168g of protien each day. Isnt that too much. I have heard that men around my age ( 26) should have arnd 50-60g of protien...Ok If you are working out maybe a little more...but 168g each day??

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
joeylloyd said:

1g of protien per pound...Are you sure ?? You mean I should have 168g of protien each day. Isnt that too much. I have heard that men around my age ( 26) should have arnd 50-60g of protien...Ok If you are working out maybe a little more...but 168g each day??

It's about right. Some recommend even more if you are going for hypertrophy. Are you seriously getting just 50-60g of protein per day?
Maybe we found the cure for your male pattern baldness :lol:

The symptoms of protein deficiency are:

Kwashiorkor
Fullness, moon-shaped face
Brittle, pluckable hair
Fine, silky hair
Alopecia
Decreased pigmentation (hair)
Meuhrcke's lines (nails)
Edema
Hyperpigmentation (sun-exposed skin)
Flaky paint or crazy paving dermatitis
Delayed wound healing
Decubitus ulcers
Muscle weakness and wasting

powersam

Reaction score
you are right in thinking that you heard 50 - 60 grams, or a gram for every kilogram of body weight.

http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/b ... ata2d.html

however this amount is based on sedentary individuals. i've often though that Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) should be changed to Minimum Daily Intake (MDI)

http://www.aussiebodies.com.au/news/200 ... otein.html

but messing with numbers is really a little bit useless when it comes to nutrition. if you are getting your proteins mostly through fish, with a bit of chicken and red meat every now and then just go for it an eat as much as you want. i don't think you can eat too much fish, as long as you have salad etc. make sure to get the other food groups in there as well and you'll be fine.

if muscle building is what your after you'll need both carbs and protein adn in greater supply than you would usually eat. remember if your working out and doing lots of weights your body is going to need more than a normal one would, so you can just throw the recommended daily intakes out the window.

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah I wish male pattern baldness was that simple....a few extra protien sources...and poop...here come the hairs...

Anyways..heres where I get my knowledge from, since I am a vegeterian

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

"[For example, a 79 kg vegan male aged 25 to 50 years. His RDA for calories is 2900 calories per day. His protein needs might be as high as 79 kg x 1 gram/kg = 79 grams of protein."

I am about 76kgs....So I need about 76gms of protien....Since I am working out I am pushing it upto 100 with Whey protien....

I think 1gm per pound is too much for the liver ??/

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey HHCA.

The 0.8 g/kilo is the amount of protein energy need. You need more than that for cell maintenance and even more if you wish to build muscle. Rule of thumb for moderate athletes is to get at least 2 g/kilo. The recommendation for bodybuilders vary but many say even more than 2g.

Have you done a calculation on your intake? Is it really that low?

Felk

Reaction score
Lessofarockstar said:
Felk said:

Felk,
The reason why people seem to get fat when they put on a lot of muscle is that it is the easiest way to put on mass is bulking (- you take in tons of carbs along with all the protein you need for building muscle), but many never accomplish to run a decent cut afterwards where you lose all the extra fat you put on while bulking.

1 if you want to gain mass fast: bulk and then cut.
2 If you want to gain some muscle but not lose definition: Train hard, keep diet high in protein and low in fat. Your gains will be slower but you wont have to bulk up.
3 If you want to stay skinny do lots of cardio and high rep (12+)exercise which will pretty much get you nowhere (unless you are going for endurance) :roll:

What I would recommend is that you work out hard in the gym trying to gain as much as possible (with a beginner level progressive gainer program) and eat loads of protein (supplement protein and perhaps creatine). Since you don't want to bulk (neither do I) this is the way to do it. You can do cardio too, but be aware that it will slow down your gains if you overdo it.

Remember you cannot get anymore defined, if you are already at a really low bf without putting on some muscle. And dont worry you wont blow up like a whale or lose your definition if you watch your diet. Of course not.

Three things to succesful fitness training: Hard work in the gym, good diet, and rest (people seem to forget the importance of restitution and good sleep)
So basically:

Eat what you eat now and supplement with some high percentage whey protein.

Start a good training regimen with reasonable and constant progression.

Sorry for this long *** thread... I hope it's useful even though it's a mess. :lol:

Thanks a ton, that's some great advice there! :)

What's the creatine stuff you mentioned?

hairhaircomeagain

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Felk ->

I wanted to take creatine. But I have read in some forums that creatine increases hairloss

lessofarockstar -> My protien intake lately has been very fucked up. Since March 2005 when I notcied I am 202lbs I went into complete dieting. Now I am 168lbs and have left Cardio and went into body building.

My protien intake over an average day will not exceed 50g for sure.
My day starts with a bowl of cereal which probably gives me i think not more than 10g of protien. At lunch I will probably grab some fried rice, subway or sometimes tofu..I dont see that would exceed 20 gms of protien and then evening some wheat bread and stuff probably another 15gms.

So overall it pretty much sux. The day I am going to life weigths...I eat high carb bagels and a serving of Yogurt and hour or two before heading for the gym to get the required carbs. I come back and then have another serving of Yougurt and some high carb Pasta. Also have some refried beans for the protien. After 3-4 months of very rigorous work out, I still look the same. Probably a little thin on the waist which is good. Also, no increase in the weights I lift :(

I have just added some Whey protien in my diet. I am taking two servings everyday to get arnd 40gms of protien. I will be also adding some more Tofu to get the Soy protien and soy milk instead of cow milk. I think this should help.

What do you take for getting the required carbs after and before work outs.

Lessofarockstar

Established Member
Reaction score
hairhaircomeagain said:
Felk ->

I wanted to take creatine. But I have read in some forums that creatine increases hairloss

lessofarockstar -> My protien intake lately has been very fucked up. Since March 2005 when I notcied I am 202lbs I went into complete dieting. Now I am 168lbs and have left Cardio and went into body building.

My protien intake over an average day will not exceed 50g for sure.
My day starts with a bowl of cereal which probably gives me i think not more than 10g of protien. At lunch I will probably grab some fried rice, subway or sometimes tofu..I dont see that would exceed 20 gms of protien and then evening some wheat bread and stuff probably another 15gms.

So overall it pretty much sux. The day I am going to life weigths...I eat high carb bagels and a serving of Yogurt and hour or two before heading for the gym to get the required carbs. I come back and then have another serving of Yougurt and some high carb Pasta. Also have some refried beans for the protien. After 3-4 months of very rigorous work out, I still look the same. Probably a little thin on the waist which is good. Also, no increase in the weights I lift :(

I have just added some Whey protien in my diet. I am taking two servings everyday to get arnd 40gms of protien. I will be also adding some more Tofu to get the Soy protien and soy milk instead of cow milk. I think this should help.

What do you take for getting the required carbs after and before work outs.

Definitely bring your protein intake up. Way up if you want to add some mass and/or strength.
About the carbs... Try to limit refined sugars and get some fruits and whole grains. Simple carbs are good for post workout meals (raisins/fruit/juice)