Best Hair Replacement Centers In California?

jabberwocky

My Regimen
Reaction score
First time poster, can anyone please recommend trustworthy hair replacement centers in California (preferably in the Bay Area), or in close-by states such as Washington?

I'm 27, and dealing with observable hair loss for the past 1 year. Been on the Big 3 (4 if you count dermarolling) for 9 months out of that. No side effects, the hair loss has NOT progressed, but I'm pretty unhappy with how my hair looks and see no sustainable method besides a Hair System to fix this.

I've already ordered a Cesare Ragazzi CNC system, I just came across this forum and saw that the CNC was not reviewed kindly here.

What are my alternatives now?

Besides the universal requirements of being as undetectable as possible and being compatible with fairly arduous physical activities, I'd prefer something which can be worn for about 2-3 weeks at a time.

I'd prefer getting it professionally maintained for the next few years, and can't really afford to be seen without it in the foreseeable future.

I ordered a CNC because I believed that it was one of the better systems out there, and I (naively?) figured if a CNC didn't work out, nothing else would. I did not want to get a cheaper system and then wonder if a more expensive system might have been better. *Everything* else in my life has taken a backseat to this hair loss travesty, that's why I did not want to leave any stone unturned and spend any more time than necessary on finding something that works. The money spent would be totally worth it if the CNC actually worked well, but seeing other posts about CNC here, I am pretty concerned.

TL;DR: I want to find a trusted salon who are experienced in dealing with hair systems. From the (little :( ) research I did, I found a salon in Seattle which seemed fairly reputed and trustworthy (I still think they're good people btw). They wear CNCs themselves and look pretty great. But I was curious if the amazing community here has had better experiences on the West Coast.

And as a follow-up question, besides the exorbitant price, are there any other disadvantages to the CNC?

PS: My hairline is fine, I've been diagnosed with about 50% hair loss at the crown (and some light diffuse thinning). The CNC piece ordered is pretty small, it starts from some distance behind the hairline, up till the crown, and is not super wide as well.

PPS: I've only seen this forum for the past few days, but would like to thank Noah, BaldBearded, Hair Newbie (and others who I'm sure I'm missing) for the ridiculous amounts of selfless help they offer here. I wish I can do the same one day. This issue can seem absolutely debilitating, but this forum really helps, knowing that there is are practical long-term ways to live with the appearance of a good head of hair.

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
I sent you a quick PM with one suggestion. I will try to answer your other Qs later.

Noah

Noah

Reaction score
Concerning the CNC system:

95% of the hair systems on sale in the West nowadays fall into one or other of two types - fine nylon mesh ("lace") or ultra-thin polythene film ("thinskin"). Lace disappears when glued on the scalp and the scalp shows through it, whereas thinskin mimics the scalp itself and is translucent, so again the natural scalp colour shows through.

But CNC has taken a different approach. Their bases are substantially thicker, and pink coloured, creating an artificial scalp. Their big selling point is that they measure your scalp and use 3-D printing technology to create the base, so it is a perfect fit. However, the normal low-tech method of creating a custom base, by making a template using SaranWrap and sticky tape, works fine, so the 3-D technology doesn't seem to add any significant benefit, and arguably is just an elaborate marketing gimmick. On the other hand using a thick pink base has obvious potential problems in terms of detectability, breathability and heat retention. Cesare Ragazzi is a well-known company, so clearly there are plenty of men wearing their product, but my personal view is that their design choices are not the best. And as you said yourself, the prices are high.

But that is not to say you won't get wear out of the system you have bought - most of the negatives I have referred to are more of an issue if you are using the hair system to create a hairline. Since you are only using it behind your natural hairline they are less important, so it may well be a perfectly satisfactory introduction for you to wearing a system. The only issue which you may find problematic is heat retention in arduous physical activity. Keep that under review. In general most guys find a lace base is better for strenuous physical activity.

Hope this is helpful.

Noah

jabberwocky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks Noah. Based on your post, here's what I'm planning now:

I'll now get a second lace system ordered when I go for my CNC fitting. I can then alternate the two and then go with whatever seems better in the long run (which definitely seems like the lace system based on your post.)

I can live with a compromise in detectability to the touch, if it meant the CNC system was hardier and could last securely for 3-4 weeks with moderate physical activity (such as tennis, some gymming and running, nothing super intense). Basically my plan was to go the salon once in 3-4 weeks, get the CNC fitted and most importantly, not have to worry about fitting it myself in the interim period. Does the lace system fit in well with this routine? (can it stay securely on for this period without requiring a weekly refitting?)

My main problem is that the person I am dating will be moving to California in about 5 months and will most likely stay with me thenceforth. I am FAR from ready to share this part of my life with her, so I wanted a solution which would not require me to do any maintenance at home myself, and work well with an average 27 year old's lifestyle (with a secure fit being the most important concern).

Would a lace system fit well with these lifestyle constraints?

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score
That seems like a plan, Jabberwocky.

I am a fan of lace, mainly because I do a lot of sport and physical activity, and I live in a place which is humid for a significant portion of the year, so breathability is a big issue for me. But lots of guys, including on this forum, swear by skin. So it's best to try both and make up your own mind.

I think the CNC system will definitely be hardy (I haven't owned one, but it seems like a rugged construction - no pun intended). You will definitely be able to do moderate physical activity with it on - the only issue will be how comfortable it is. It's certainly not going to fall off or anything like that.

How long you can keep a system on for depends on the glue you use. For more than 2 weeks they will almost certainly use a cyanoacrylic glue, which is like Superglue (Crazy Glue in the U.S.) - the sort doctors use for closing sutures. That will work - it is very effective. I am not a fan of that type of glue, or of the personal hygiene implications of keeping the piece on for that long, but thousands of men do it, and it works. If you don't want to be involved in any home maintenance, it's a viable solution. Try it and see how it feels.

You can also attach a lace piece by the same method. You would design the piece with a polythene rim around the edge (probably all the way around, since you are using your natural hairline), and it is that rim which would be glued. It is fair to say that a fine lace piece would probably not fare as well as a CNC piece for this wearing methodology, because it will not be as robust as the CNC piece. There is always a balance to be struck between robustness and undetectability in a hair system - basically they are inversely proportional to one another.

Noah

Manny007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
First time poster, can anyone please recommend trustworthy hair replacement centers in California (preferably in the Bay Area), or in close-by states such as Washington?

I'm 27, and dealing with observable hair loss for the past 1 year. Been on the Big 3 (4 if you count dermarolling) for 9 months out of that. No side effects, the hair loss has NOT progressed, but I'm pretty unhappy with how my hair looks and see no sustainable method besides a Hair System to fix this.

I've already ordered a Cesare Ragazzi CNC system, I just came across this forum and saw that the CNC was not reviewed kindly here.

Besides the universal requirements of being as undetectable as possible and being compatible with fairly arduous physical activities, I'd prefer something which can be worn for about 2-3 weeks at a time.

I'd prefer getting it professionally maintained for the next few years, and can't really afford to be seen without it in the foreseeable future.

I ordered a CNC because I believed that it was one of the better systems out there, and I (naively?) figured if a CNC didn't work out, nothing else would. I did not want to get a cheaper system and then wonder if a more expensive system might have been better. *Everything* else in my life has taken a backseat to this hair loss travesty, that's why I did not want to leave any stone unturned and spend any more time than necessary on finding something that works. The money spent would be totally worth it if the CNC actually worked well, but seeing other posts about CNC here, I am pretty concerned.

TL;DR: I want to find a trusted salon who are experienced in dealing with hair systems. From the (little :( ) research I did, I found a salon in Seattle which seemed fairly reputed and trustworthy (I still think they're good people btw). They wear CNCs themselves and look pretty great. But I was curious if the amazing community here has had better experiences on the West Coast.

And as a follow-up question, besides the exorbitant price, are there any other disadvantages to the CNC?

PS: My hairline is fine, I've been diagnosed with about 50% hair loss at the crown (and some light diffuse thinning). The CNC piece ordered is pretty small, it starts from some distance behind the hairline, up till the crown, and is not super wide as well.

PPS: I've only seen this forum for the past few days, but would like to thank Noah, BaldBearded, Hair Newbie (and others who I'm sure I'm missing) for the ridiculous amounts of selfless help they offer here. I wish I can do the same one day. This issue can seem absolutely debilitating, but this forum really helps, knowing that there is are practical long-term ways to live with the appearance of a good head of hair.

Did you find any salons for the cut ins near bay area?

Abiel

Reaction score
One head hair solutions in Santa Monica
I'm an hour north from LA
I'm actually going to start barber school soon so i can help others that want to wear a hair system

codeblocker

My Regimen
Reaction score

were you able to find a salon? Can you share me the details too.