Best Disinfectant To Use For Microneedling Device?

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use contact lenses and I've read up quite a bit on them and I know that the multipurpose solutions which are often used to disinfect lenses have been found in studies to not kill all the bacteria and that you have to use hydrogen peroxide. But even HP takes 24 hrs to kill all the bacteria.

So, with this in mind, I was wondering what the best disinfectant would be for a microneedling device? What would kill all the germs a dermaroller might pick up on a scalp or skin and how long would you have to soak it to kill them all?

I've seen people recommend 70% alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, but would these kill all bacteria that might be found on a microneedling device?

(EDIT: The CDC doesn’t recommend using rubbing alcohol to sterilize needles or syringes used for injections. They also don’t recommend using alcohol to sterilize medical equipment.

EDIT #2: "The results from this systematic review demonstrate that disinfection of semi-critical health care products with alcohol 70%, or in an approximate concentration, is not generally safe, with regards to the possibility of exposing patients to microorganisms (bacteria and viruses) which remain in those instruments even after they are disinfected.")

Furthermore, I've seen people recommend rinsing the roller with tap water after it's been soaked in alcohol, but doesn't that potentially reintroduce bacteria from the water??? On the other hand, is it safe to let the alcohol dry on the needles without washing it away and then use that on the skin?

Also, what about other precautions for preventing infection? Should needling be done only on a freshly washed scalp? Should you wash hair with some particular shampoo before needling?

What can be used to disinfect the scalp in areas where you're bald and COULD apply some kind of disinfectant?

What about hyperpigmentation (from exposing wound to sun) in your bald areas? Can that happen?

Last edited:

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 99% iso alcohol. Let it soak for 15 minutes, then put it in the case without the lid on to dry. I do this before and after using. I just shake of the alcohol and give it a 2 second rinse before using.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use 99% iso alcohol. Let it soak for 15 minutes, then put it in the case without the lid on to dry. I do this before and after using. I just shake of the alcohol and give it a 2 second rinse before using.

What do you rinse it with? I've seen some people rinse with tap water, but seems to me that would potentially reintroduce bacteria.

EDIT: Apparently not. Btw, this information is also useful if you guys plan on shooting up heroin at some point. Maybe when you finally go bald and have had enough.

EDIT #2: If you are using alcohol, you don't need to rinse it:

"A major advantage of aqueoussolutions of alcohols is that they do not leave any residue on treated items."

Last edited:

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think 70% ethanol should work, iirc.

Isopropyl is a solvent, which can degrade the bonding materials

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just leave the alcohol on it when I use it.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So according to my research, alcohol isn't sufficient to kill all germs (Alcohols are not recommended for sterilizing medical and surgical materials principally because they lack sporicidal action and they cannot penetrate protein-rich materials.), and the best method for killing germs is actually moist heat. Hospitals use these devices that apply moist heat and pressure, but at home, it seems that boiling may be the best method of sterilization.

Is that a viable method of sterilizing a dermaroller or the needles of a dermapen?

1) What would happen to the plastic handle of a dermaroller if exposed to boiling water?

and more importantly

2) What would happen to the metal of the needles? Would they corrode or undergo some other kind of chemical process that would make them give us some kind of horrible infection?

Anybody know?

Last edited:

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just use alcohol or barbicide or something, while you should always disinfect your dermaroller/stamp the chances of ever getting an infection are almost zero, you don't immediately disinfect a graze on your knee and that does much more damage to the skin that needling does. Alcohol or barbicide will suffice, no need to go crazy thinking you will get an infection from needling.

Last edited:

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't want to drone on with this, but thought you guys should be aware of this:

"The results from this systematic review demonstrate that disinfection of semi-critical health care products with alcohol 70%, or in an approximate concentration, is not generally safe, with regards to the possibility of exposing patients to microorganisms (bacteria and viruses) which remain in those instruments even after they are disinfected."

Now, that said, very likely Derelict is right and I'm being overcautious with this.

But to continue beating this horse, it occurs to me that boiling in water may be an effective method for those who have dermapens (I understand the needles are removable and have only metal components?). Boiling is effective, but I have to do more research to determine whether it sterilizes, rather than just disinfects.

Regarding the sterilization vs disinfection distinction, if you don't know, there are many things that kill a broad spectrum of bacteria and may even kill all bacteria, but won't kill spores. Spores are something like dormant bacteria. Bacteria go into spore form when in very inhospitable environments in order to survive and then go active again when in a less hostile place.

The other question with boiling is would it blunt the needles and would it corrode the metal or cause some other kind of chemical reaction which might give you tetanus or god knows what.

Last edited:

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
thats me as well

Rzuty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps a UVA light would be useful? The small portable and foldable ones you can find on AliExpress etc,...

Last edited:

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps a UVA light would be useful? The small portable and foldable ones you cab find on AliExpress etc,...

Interesting. Somehow I doubt it would be potent enough, but might be worth looking into.

Or hydrogen peroxide?

Yes, according to my research hydrogen peroxide, depending on the concentration, can be a sterilant. Now, I'm not sure what concentration is necessary, that needs to be researched.

3% hydrogen peroxide is used to sterilize contact lenses. There are bottles that come with an aluminum disc, when you put the aluminum disc into the hydrogen peroxide it converts it to saline and makes it safe to put back into eyes, so, presumably, that would be safe for needling, as well, tho it might not even be necessary.

I think hydrogen peroxide is a very good candidate for something that would be safe while giving you complete sterilization, but again, it needs to be researched and I just haven't the time right now.

The other concern I have with all these liquids is corrosion. Can they cause rusting and give you an infection that way?