becoming body dysmorphic and a paranoid schizophrenic over hair loss

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
No.

Society has the body dysmorphic problem, not us balding men. We're the ones that are ridiculed.

Eureka

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever felt like this ?

Absolutely, hair loss can exacerbate feelings of insecurity, paranoia, social anxiety etc. I would urge you to talk to a professional about it(psychologist/psychiatrist) to help you deal with these feelings, otherwise they can take complete control of your life.

yadayada029

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever felt like this ?

BDD yes. Schizophrenic, definitely not. if you were actually schizophrenic you'd have more issues than baldness to be concerned with.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Yes for me, casually speaking social phobia may be a better suited label to attach to the growing description list of what life commonly feels like for the "afflicted" bald person. We here acknowledge first hand that far too many Hair Loss sufferers (new and old) are overwhelmed by episodic bouts of hair loss related anxiety. Conceivably so in light of the preponderance of statistical data that loudly and factually declares the world is kindest to the beautiful ones. Hair loss by consequence can single handedly trigger social disturbances ie; deepened feelings of inadequacy, self loathe and paranoia. Therefore it is easier for me to better understand as well as sympathize with the early life and experiences of the individual(s) who were unable to break free from the pressure of public superficiality, the ones who expressed, even well before their own M.P.B. onset, a low level state of inner confidence and self worth. Because of this invisible and visible "double whammy" casted over and around their hearts and heads I have come to accept their kind of suffering unparalleled and absolute.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Yes for me, casually speaking social phobia may be a better suited label to attach to the growing description list of what life commonly feels like for the "afflicted" bald person. We here acknowledge first hand that far too many Hair Loss sufferers (new and old) are overwhelmed by episodic bouts of hair loss related anxiety. Conceivably so in light of the preponderance of statistical data that loudly and factually declares the world is kindest to the beautiful ones. Hair loss by consequence can single handedly trigger social disturbances ie; deepened feelings of inadequacy, self loathe and paranoia. Therefore it is easier for me to better understand as well as sympathize with the early life and experiences of the individual(s) who were unable to break free from the pressure of public superficiality, the ones who expressed, even well before their own M.P.B. onset, a low level state of inner confidence and self worth. Because of this invisible and visible "double whammy" casted over and around their hearts and heads I have come to accept their kind of suffering unparalleled and absolute.
Glad to see you posting again ID, you always have some great insight.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
That he does.... IDWALKER is my idea of a valuable contributor to this site (section).

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Thanks gentlemen. I've been on a whirlwind and erratic schedule the last 6 weeks and at last things are a little calmer for now. I want to just say in spite of the fact that we've all had a turn or two receiving criticism on this forum I am grateful to be able to declare that the only one's I hold personal and dear are the one's that promote fellowship and a clear interest in the welfare of other's. In a world so rife with pain it astounds and confounds me that kindness still remains one of our most under valued, under utilized and overlooked resources. All my best.

scorpiolove

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imagine if you would being over 6 feet tall and about 250 lbs of muscle, it all dissapates in the world of paranoia and skitzophrenia, you could feel like the world is your oyster at one moment and your superman,than the feeling creeps up on you when your drinking or doing something that normal people do like going out for a coffee and than bam! you get a paranoid episode and feel like the world is closing in on you or somebodys out to hurt or kill you. All you want to do is get inside where you feel its safe or you want to go to sleep untill the horrible feeling is gone. It's debilitating,you cant work or socialize like you want to,and you always feel like something is wrong or missing in your life even though everything can be perfect to the nines. This has been my life and sick career since 2001,taking pills that increase my cholesterol and blood pressure and almost cause seizure like spasms. I also have extreme hairloss(norwood 6) and wear a hat all the time just to make it to the doctors to get an anti psychotic shot every three weeks and get my prescriptions filled.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
I have definite, periodic bouts of body dysmorphia related to hair loss which ultimately take over for days at a time. I have struggled with depression / anxiety over the years but it is possible that they stemmed from the onset of minimal hair loss.

Any feelings of confidence, strength, contentedness related to anything going on in my life, self-worth - all these feelings dissipate and surrender to the feeling of inadequacy, the feeling that I can never amount to anything because, what, I'm currently about a NW2.5 and my hair is pretty sh1t? It really comes down to that. I read books on self-actualisation and psychology books because I find them fascinating and full of many insights into how we can truly become ourselves, but then in the midst of them all I continually catch myself thinking 'yeah but will my hair keep thinning' or 'I just want to not lose my hair like so many other people, is it too much to ask?' It's like I get this feeling that no matter how far I run I can never escape the fear and no matter how high I climb in life I will be a failure because of my hair.

I know wanting to do something about my hair is very real and the societal pressure to do something about my hair is very real too, but this added, manic state of fear is not, it is a product of my mind. My hair loss is not bad, but unfortunately it cuts right to the centre of my psyche.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
None of you in this thread have body dysmorphic disorder. None of you are ashamed of balding. None of you have less worth as human beings either. All that sh*t is at the hands of society and ignorant fvcking assholes who try and fool us by telling us baldness isn't that bad... while at the same time damn near everyone in society humiliates baldness ANYWAY. Let's not pretend as if women say 'oh, bald men are fine' while they don't run after and get their panty's wet over a guy with a thick mane of hair. Are we so fvcking stupid to believe these crooked liars?

No, the problem isn't with us... it's with society.

Fvck this stupid 'BDD' agenda, that's just another way of society telling us we have yet another problem. And fvck society too. It's not bald men that are vain for wanting their identity. Why should we be vain anyway? Is it not VAIN for the general public, media, and everyone else to mock us and then run after guys with hair? Why is THAT not vain?

scorpiolove

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Society blows chunks man! As children we are told that we can be anything in life,and then when we fall short of our goals and the status quo in any way, we are to blame and society always gets the pass, as if society in itself is perfect.
Every day inferior people make it through the cracks of society and chaos happens,look at Columbine and the Elliot incidents,these were totally avoidable, and the people that were sick of the twisted norm are fully blamed. Society is in part to blame because everyday we come up with only band aid solutions to really messed up problems, How about a cure for hair loss? how about a cure for all the other auto immune disorders? The real money is always in the remedies and not the cures.
It will happen one day when a bald person becomes a threat to society, the person with no internet access or money to deal with the problem,the loner who never gets the chance to express his or her self etc. Maybe after that someone will finally listen about baldness as a disease and not just pass it off as one of societys biggest jokes.

Zombie

Reaction score
The problem to solve this painful feeling is having hair. Any other routes are just delusion.

Sabbah

Reaction score
Body dysmorphic disorder due to hair loss? I don't think so. On the other hand, social anxiety and/or paranoia are illnesses that I believe can be triggered by hair loss.

I view my receding hairline as my youth, control, power, social acceptance, dates, jobs/career (I suppose this one depends on what you studied or are currently doing), etc, going down the drain. I do not feel deformed at the slightest but I am aware that society, because of media manipulation, puts people who are balding at third level. This means I have to work more than the average "full head of hair" to overcome all of these aspects of life, and by default this will only worsen my anxiety.