Bayer Prolactin Receptor Antibody For Male And Female Pattern Hair Loss

Otrebor

My Regimen
Reaction score
For smi the game is not worth the candle (estimate anyway for those who have worked hard and tried it), has a low affinity and is a competitive inhibitor, I do not remember exactly the paper where it was mentioned but with inhibitors of this type yes potentially risks worsening the situation by increasing prolactin receptors. Probably by increasing the concentration and using it for more than 6 months you will be able to concretely observe a change. If there were more targeted and related prolactin inhibitors we might try them in the future.

Hmi also creates concerns for me, not so much related to the likelihood of it not working as to the multiple implications that prolactin has. A systemic elimination could have significant side effects in the long term (something that phase 1 studies cannot detect). Prolactin for example has implications for the preservation of pancreatic cells, it is really playing with fire.

But apart from this I have found interesting studies that I can relocate in my theory, as I have tried several times to say HMI is not only important in the direction of its therapeutic use, it can make us understand something more than baldness and perhaps make us discover more paths. simple to target locally with no side effects.

These two studies introduce a significant role of prolactin in the biology of the hair follicle (as well as for stem cells in general)

These other two:

They clarify the issue even more at the cellular level. Prolactin can be a kind of "agent" put into standby of the stem cells of the follicle following the dead end that I hypothesized in the previous comments. Almost as if the prolactin came to calm the water following a stressful situation induced by the insanity of the cells and the dht, a situation that slowly however proceeds until the follicles are dead.

Prolactin is a vector, it is not a problem per se, probably HMI will work great (who knows) but given the importance that prl has in another myriad of paths I would not play with fire, especially if the fire will cost us 30k.

All that remains is to find the more specific pathways through which prolactin leads cells into apoptosis / quiescence.

Prolactin has implications with
- JAK / STAT
- BMP (specifically I think BMP4 ----> shh path)

and it certainly has some connection with androgens so I would not reject hypotheses related to a direct interaction.

Not giving any judgment before it is on the market HMI shows me however how in this industry most of the decisions are made: discovery of an element / drug / path that makes hair grow back ------> You do the tests without first yet to establish its complete functioning, thus contributing to total confusion in the pathogenesis of baldness.

Perhaps we should first of all get out of the idea that baldness is an exclusively aesthetic problem, not only because it has very evident psychological consequences but also for the fact that it is precisely starting from the development of a pathogenesis of such an intricate phenomenon that one can understand the mechanisms of a other myriad of pathologies, I have no inferiority complex for most of the companies that have tried to bring results in recent years, the empirical approach can be fine up to a certain point, after we need to deepen ...
but this is just my idea, and it doesn't apply to all scientists / entrepreneurs of course.

-specter-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What bothers me is the issue of baldness is not taken seriously, people take it for a joke. I think that there is no dignity in this, you can say what you want but get worse from the aesthetic point of view, not being able to manage your appearance as you want is not beautiful, being told that I have to make a reason for it and that I look like more man does not help me.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm always saying it. We would be out of this mess by now if researchers had been framing the problem differently for the past 30 years.

They should be talking about helping middle/older women with androgenic hair thinning. Nobody says "hair loss isn't a real problem" when it happens to women. And nobody doubts their willingness to pay money to look younger.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm always saying it. We would be out of this mess by now if researchers had been framing the problem differently for the past 30 years.
I agree with you,..., and the key is front our nose, DHT is made inside pilosebaceous unit in scalp hairs years before puberty in all persons.

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you,..., and the key is front our nose, DHT is made inside pilosebaceous unit in scalp hairs years before puberty in all persons.
Hola Armando,
You are true veteran here. I still remember you even from threads about seti etc. Btw. Since you have seen a lot of hypes here. What are you thoughts on Kintor and HMI?

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dont worry John we all will be on this site in 2040, talking about pig trials round the corner
The hairloss industry is fucked. I agree on this. But honestly I lurk here since 2014 and I see the situation improving. At that time there were only Replicel, Histogen and Follica. All were meme then and are complete meme now. New research was mostly based on arguments about prostaglandins, nofap, castor oil, every 3 months cetirizine being the cure etc. Getting some relatable news was pain in the ***.

Look at it now. We had several companies, that yes - failed, but after 3 decades we had company doing phase 3 study for hair loss. We now clearly see directions that did not work. Plenty of new companies and some of them moving quickly - Kintor as example. You can think what you want about folliclethought and hairlosscure2020, but their news are good. They bring interviews and have articles based on their knowledge of Androgenetic Alopecia not some stupid article from Jessica, that works for BBC claiming cure in 5 years etc. So it is easier for new people to get the news and it raises the stigma about hairloss - just shave it bro. Attention is what we need and companies now see people actually really care about hair.
I am not saying cure is behind the corner. But surely, things look more positive now than ever.

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Janko these were some the facts surrounding SMI, even if you take it for granted that HMI works exactly as described:

1. the antibody patent itself cites research that shows conventional PRLR antagonists are unlikely to work
2. prolactin is not well understood at all in men
3. the endocrine/autocrine/paracrine nature of even better understood hormones and hair cycling is still being probed
4. SMI cannot easily be dosed properly because it's never been tested on humans
5. the hair growth effect of the antibody in monkeys appears to have been a complete surprise (ie was not well-predicted by the current Androgenetic Alopecia model, even though it doesn't contradict it). This implies we don't understand the mechanism, making theoretical extensions difficult

but if you still decide to run the experiment, then at least an open discussion making it clear that it's a hail mary would limit the damage to people who are likely to get caught up in the hype
Hey, Fella,

You misunderstood me. I am not saying SMI works. I am just saying, that just because SMI does not work or at least on a paper, does not mean that HMI wont and that tackling the prolactin might be helpful for Androgenetic Alopecia. Since the beginning SMI was truly a hail mary. Pegasus also stated there. I was not part of the GB, but I value the people that went for it and tried it.
We understand sh*t about hairloss and the more angles they will try to resolve it, the better. I agree that the effect on macaques was a surprise. And that is not a reason to claim, that Prolactin direction is stupid and not based on scientific views. Minoxidil wasnt designed to be for hairloss neither finasteride. It was also a big surprise. There were plenty of new researchs, that reasoned nicely on paper and delivered nothing.

froggy7

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Janko that is true, i agree 100% with You, but the case is that we wont be able to get our hir back in our best years

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, Fella,

You misunderstood me. I am not saying SMI works. I am just saying, that just because SMI does not work or at least on a paper, does not mean that HMI wont and that tackling the prolactin might be helpful for Androgenetic Alopecia. Since the beginning SMI was truly a hail mary. Pegasus also stated there. I was not part of the GB, but I value the people that went for it and tried it.
We understand sh*t about hairloss and the more angles they will try to resolve it, the better. I agree that the effect on macaques was a surprise. And that is not a reason to claim, that Prolactin direction is stupid and not based on scientific views. Minoxidil wasnt designed to be for hairloss neither finasteride. It was also a big surprise. There were plenty of new researchs, that reasoned nicely on paper and delivered nothing.
Similar to minoxidil, finasteride was discovered by accident when it grew hair on the bald scalp in men treated for enlarged prostate.

Imagine if the scientists had overlooked that fleeting moment and didn't grab this opportunity? Great discoveries only come with serendipity, the knowledge to interpret things and the ability to grab the moment before it's too late.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For smi the game is not worth the candle (estimate anyway for those who have worked hard and tried it), has a low affinity and is a competitive inhibitor, I do not remember exactly the paper where it was mentioned but with inhibitors of this type yes potentially risks worsening the situation by increasing prolactin receptors. Probably by increasing the concentration and using it for more than 6 months you will be able to concretely observe a change. If there were more targeted and related prolactin inhibitors we might try them in the future.

Hmi also creates concerns for me, not so much related to the likelihood of it not working as to the multiple implications that prolactin has. A systemic elimination could have significant side effects in the long term (something that phase 1 studies cannot detect). Prolactin for example has implications for the preservation of pancreatic cells, it is really playing with fire.

But apart from this I have found interesting studies that I can relocate in my theory, as I have tried several times to say HMI is not only important in the direction of its therapeutic use, it can make us understand something more than baldness and perhaps make us discover more paths. simple to target locally with no side effects.

These two studies introduce a significant role of prolactin in the biology of the hair follicle (as well as for stem cells in general)

These other two:

They clarify the issue even more at the cellular level. Prolactin can be a kind of "agent" put into standby of the stem cells of the follicle following the dead end that I hypothesized in the previous comments. Almost as if the prolactin came to calm the water following a stressful situation induced by the insanity of the cells and the dht, a situation that slowly however proceeds until the follicles are dead.

Prolactin is a vector, it is not a problem per se, probably HMI will work great (who knows) but given the importance that prl has in another myriad of paths I would not play with fire, especially if the fire will cost us 30k.

All that remains is to find the more specific pathways through which prolactin leads cells into apoptosis / quiescence.

Prolactin has implications with
- JAK / STAT
- BMP (specifically I think BMP4 ----> shh path)

and it certainly has some connection with androgens so I would not reject hypotheses related to a direct interaction.

Not giving any judgment before it is on the market HMI shows me however how in this industry most of the decisions are made: discovery of an element / drug / path that makes hair grow back ------> You do the tests without first yet to establish its complete functioning, thus contributing to total confusion in the pathogenesis of baldness.

Perhaps we should first of all get out of the idea that baldness is an exclusively aesthetic problem, not only because it has very evident psychological consequences but also for the fact that it is precisely starting from the development of a pathogenesis of such an intricate phenomenon that one can understand the mechanisms of a other myriad of pathologies, I have no inferiority complex for most of the companies that have tried to bring results in recent years, the empirical approach can be fine up to a certain point, after we need to deepen ...
but this is just my idea, and it doesn't apply to all scientists / entrepreneurs of course.

The fact that it has a lower affinity than PRL doesn't mean it can't work. CB and RU have lower affinities than DHT and even T, yet they work. Imagine if SMI also works - it could potentially give you HMI results.

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Similar to minoxidil, finasteride was discovered by accident when it grew hair on the bald scalp in men treated for enlarged prostate.

Imagine if the scientists had overlooked that fleeting moment and didn't grab this opportunity? Great discoveries only come with serendipity, the knowledge to interpret things and the ability to grab the moment before it's too late.
it was not discovered by accident, there was an expedition of a team of researchers to an ubundant south pazifik(?) island years prior and they discovered a native stem of people that had 5AR deficiencies/mutations so their bodies could not produce DHT. noneof them had hair loss. that is when they realized that inhibition or dysfunction of 5AR enzyme plays a key role in androgenic alopecia. this was then broight to the attention of merck who was already working on a 5ARi for prostate enlargement. then they decided to trial it for another condition. so to say they were shell shocked that some people regrew haie is not sccurate i think. with minoxidil however it is. crazy that just by chance there has not been a similar accidential finding since then, truly unfortunate

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The fact that it has a lower affinity than PRL doesn't mean it can't work. CB and RU have lower affinities than DHT and even T, yet they work. Imagine if SMI also works - it could potentially give you HMI results.
but CB does not work becsuse it has such a low affinity right? RU may work i do not know there is no study on it

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Crazy that just by chance there has not been a similar accidential finding since then, truly unfortunate
There has, just ask Bayer and HMI. Imagine hmmm in 1980s "Guys, minoxidil is a blood pressure drug. The science says it won't work, Androgenetic Alopecia is caused by dht and lack of brocolli in your diet, it has nothing to do with blood pressure. Stop trying things that aren't backed by science"

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There has, just ask Bayer and HMI. Imagine hmmm in 1980s "Guys, minoxidil is a blood pressure drug. The science says it won't work, Androgenetic Alopecia is caused by dht and lack of brocolli in your diet, it has nothing to do with blood pressure. Stop trying things that aren't backed by science"
minoxidl progress declines pretty damn fast after discontinuation. what is the mechanism that virtually protects the macaques hairs after the treatment period for 2 years on? and if that does not translate, how much is this animal model really worth? it is not that hmi can regrow hair, it is how it does it and hoe long it lasts that is exciting and that cannot be explained. i am quite suprised they did not take scalp biopsies from the macaques at this opportunity, wfter all this model is rarely used to due cost and riak handling such animals, they coule have tried to find out the molecular underpinnings of these "cured" hair follicles and gave this all much more credibility. however it can still be solid, it just is nog clear what mechanism could get activated for the effect to endure for so long.

Chads don't bald

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys think about Hairclone? Its supposed to be out in 2022 I think and it's an upgrade over replicel? Any hope?

badnewsbearer

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you guys think about Hairclone? Its supposed to be out in 2022 I think and it's an upgrade over replicel? Any hope?
i have read a lot of literature on every angle ans i have very little hope. i think there is a very good chance that in 2030 there will be no alternative to RU and finasteride (in terms of safety and efficacy) sure maybe CB will be around or other AA but there is very little evidence to this day that they will be either free of side effects or effective. as someone who gets severe sides on 5ARi i am not hopeful for the future, hairclone is not even tested in any trial, i think it will be another scam

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is not at all what happened.

How can you say that it's not what happened? Even the wikipedia puts the emphasis on smaller prostate in the development of the drug.

In 1975, copies of Imperato-McGinley's presentation were seen by P. Roy Vagelos, who was then serving as Merck's basic-research chief. He was intrigued by the notion that decreased levels of DHT led to the development of smaller prostates. Dr. Vagelos then sought to create a drug which could mimic the condition found in these children to treat older men who were suffering from benign prostatic hyperplasia.[85]

Finasteride was developed by Merck under the code name MK-906.[61] A team led by chemist Gary Rasmusson and biologist Jerry Brooks developed potential 5α-reductase inhibitors based on transition state inhibitors, using an iterative process of molecular design, testing, and redesign.[86] In 1992, finasteride (5 mg) was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treatment of BPH, which Merck marketed under the brand name Proscar

In 1997, Merck was successful in obtaining FDA approval for a second indication of finasteride (1 mg) for treatment of male pattern hair loss, which was marketed under the brand name Propecia.[88] It was the first 5α-reductase inhibitor to be introduced and was followed by dutasteride in 2001.[89] The first study of finasteride in the treatment of hirsutism in women was published in 1994.[90]

5 years apart. Even hisutism was 2 years later. You are such a moron.

PS: I can't wait to read your next uneducated post to flame you down again. Please don't make me wait too long.

Last edited: