Bayer Prolactin Receptor Antibody For Male And Female Pattern Hair Loss

eeyore

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just skimmed the thread and am a bit lost. A company is developing a drug, has tested it on primates and it's essentially given them the NW1 equivalent of hair?

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just skimmed the thread and am a bit lost. A company is developing a drug, has tested it on primates and it's essentially given them the NW1 equivalent of hair?
Not NW1, but it seems to have grown hair in bald areas.
Hmm, so increase in baldness around the world and in places like Asia where it was more uncommon and some were blaming western diets. As soon as I saw prolactin I wondered about plastic estrogen mimics and low and behold a quick search gets results like this "The environmental estrogen bisphenol A stimulates prolactin release in vitro and in vivo" and "More than 92% of patients seeking treatment for hair loss at a Bengaluru clinic were found to have plastic (BPA) in their blood."

If this works as a treatment you definitely have to wonder hey.
I didn't read the article but a study like this would be meaningless without a control group. The vast majority of us probably have BPA in our bloods.

Carbons

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah that’s plausible tbf. Probably not true in my scenario as my dad tells me he had the bald spot on the crown at 17/18. I’ve probably eaten more microwave-plastic dinners than he’s had wanks too
Unfortunately I am guessing that there are underlying issues with hormone pathways and the genes or way some people's skin responds to inflammation/cell degredation and male pattern baldness may have a few basic mechanisms that cause it but a myriad of potential factors that can exacerbate it.

For me personally there was a period of my life I lived in the country and consumed a lot of soft drink, the bottles were often not kept cold enough in transport and you could literally taste the plastic in the soda. I got a bit fat from the soda at this time, but also developed mild gynomastia and it was at this time my hair loss properly started. I definitely had too much prolactin going around in my body at that time.

Lol, I know them personally and they don't take anything.

One case is weird. Father is bald as fck and one of the two sons is bald at 25 and other son still NW1 at 30.

People can be pretty quiet about it, it's a bit like being a fake natty, people don't like to admit their genes are a bit trash. It may be that they just didn't get the gene, but I have had 3 friends as I have gotten older come clean about being on finasteride for years. They all have totally full heads of hair with fathers as bald as bowling balls.

Not NW1, but it seems to have grown hair in bald areas.

I didn't read the article but a study like this would be meaningless without a control group. The vast majority of us probably have BPA in our bloods.

We do for sure, but some people simply don't have the genes to respond badly and while it's true we all have varying levels of bpa in our blood it makes it almost impossible to know if it accelerated things in those prone to hair loss. I have read it's actually a major issue for researches to even find control groups with no/low bpa levels to compare with.

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Phase 1 completed in humans, great results in primates, continued regrowth and no relapse even 4 years after ceasing treatment. I'm pretty excited about this even though I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Do we actually have confirmation that a phase 1 was completed? Have to assume this would be the biggest thing in the pipeline if the pre-clinical results translated to humans even slightly and we had an idea of the safety profile.

Edit* Found an article referencing the successful completion of phase 1 in China. Seems they plan to do phase two trials this year.

Last edited:

Redgate

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks exciting. Bayer's involvement may mean no lack of funding and no time wasted between trials (looking at you Cassiopea).
The median development-to-approval time for a drug is 7 years. With phase 1 being complete, I can see this in the market within 4-5, hopefully sooner in Chinese labs.

Ollie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im glad this post has gained some traction since the original patent filing.

The phase 1 completion was in China. As many know, in Asia you just need to successfully finish phase 1 and begin phase 2 (safety standards addressed) before it can be marketed. Fingers crossed.

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
As many know, in Asia you just need to successfully finish phase 1 and begin phase 2 (safety standards addressed) before it can be marketed. Fingers crossed.
That's only in Japan unfortunately

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah but he says that the trial was conducted in China, I thought Bayer conducted every trial so far
It seems this is all being done by the Chinese company, Hope Medicine. I'm sure someone here knows the details but to me it looks like a strategic partnership.

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems this is all being done by the Chinese company, Hope Medicine. I'm sure someone here knows the details but to me it looks like a strategic partnership.
No, the pre-clinical work was done by Bayer. I am just wondering who did phase I

Zon Ama

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No, the pre-clinical work was done by Bayer. I am just wondering who did phase I

Hi,

it says "Zwei noch von Bayer durchgeführte Phase I-Studien mit BAY 1158061 belegten übrigens dessen gute Verträglichkeit im Menschen.", which means Bayer conducted two phase I studies with BAY 1158061 showed good compability to humans.

There were tests with mice and stump-tailed macaques then which were both succesful.

What I do not understand: They tested it on humans already, is this right? Why cant they also share the results of human tests then?
What I also do not understand: Bayer is one of the biggest companies here in Germany (listed on the DAX30). They recognized the value of the hair loss market and still sell their product/patent to some shady chinese company? (Same as the SHT with J. Hewitt)
Why cant they just continue to work on it themselves?

Anyway, this seems promising.

Last edited:

Tom4362

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

it says "Zwei noch von Bayer durchgeführte Phase I-Studien mit BAY 1158061 belegten übrigens dessen gute Verträglichkeit im Menschen.", which means Bayer conducted two phase I studies with BAY 1158061 showed good compability to humans.

There were tests with mice and stump-tailed macaques then which were both succesful.

What I do not understand: They tested it on humans already, is this right? Why cant they also share the results of human tests then?

Anyway, this seems promising.
Yes, that's why I wondered why Ollie mentioned China.

Phase I trials are for human safety testing. I don't know why the results are not published.

HairOnFire

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a little rusty when it comes to prolactin and hair growth, having not looked into this angle in years. In any case, are there no small molecule antagonists of the prolactin receptor in development?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a little rusty when it comes to prolactin and hair growth, having not looked into this angle in years. In any case, are there no small molecule antagonists of the prolactin receptor in development?
There is SMI-1 and SMI-6 that @FollicleGuardian found for a cheap price. It's not the same though. Per the patent, competitive antagonists of the receptor are ineffective in the hair follicle because concentrations of prolactin are too high since it's produced within the hair follicle, and prolactin has a higher binding affinity for the receptor than the antagonists.

competitive PRLR antagonists are not effective in neutralizing local PRL signaling in the hair follicle due to their negative characteristics which are 1) a reduced PRLR inhibition in the presence of increasing PRL concentrations due to the competitive mechanism of action, 2) reduced half-life, and 3) reduced affinity to the PRLR if
compared to PRL.

This might be why the small molecule antagonists don't include hair loss as a potential indication in the patent.

The antibody is a non-competitive inhibitor, meaning that it doesn't have to outcompete prolactin for receptor binding. It can bind to the receptor along with prolactin and still silence it.

I think the competitive antagonists are likely better than nothing, but they won't give the kind of regrowth the antibody does.