Basics For A Newbie Transitioning To Hr

NYChicken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys! how are you doing? I found this forum after entire months of researchs on hair systems.

Let me be honest. The experience of losing hair, for me, has been a real struggle. This year, in particular, was the worst.

i know you can understand the feeling of sadness, injustice and hopelessness when you can't do your hair the way you'd want to anymore, you are forced to look not as good as you could... it feels even worse when you know the situation it's only going one way: downhill.

The medications seemed to be quite appealing, but after some researches i could not avoid the harsh truth: they come with horrible downsides. Your hair won't be back at their 100%... and you could even get erectile disfunction or depression.

And then, the Solution. Surfing the tube, i saw the video of this bald guy looking like david beckam 5 minutes later. I was stunned. I felt my shattered dreams coming together again... a new hope.

So, what i invite you to do first, is to take a moment to really appreciate the fact that hairs systems exists and that they are done way better the they used to be...that they are so accessible... that you have a choice.
That you have experience people to talk with, that are not gonna substitute your learning curve, but make it so much faster, easier and less painful.

So, first of all, i wanna thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for their contributes here, expecially the "old" veterans like Noah and BaldBearded.

Said so, i feel like making some questions, so the make the best choice before taking the leap.

considered that i live in new york:

1) Which brand do you think is the best in term of quality, with a cap of 300-400 $ per system?

2) do you know any good stylist in the NYC area, which is willing to do the cut and installation (if i bought the system from an "external source") in a proper way?

3) with your precious conciousness and experience, which are the step you would take to transition from hair to hair system? (like buying online vs at the salon. stock vs custom piece. european vs remy hair. and whatever comes to your mind).

If you arrived there, i thank you very much in advance for the attention, and very much more for the contribute you're gonna leave.

I wish you a great day ;)

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi,

First, thanks for your kind words. I, personally don't have a stylist that will work on other systems. I can only refer you to a company that offers a full-service solution. If you are interested in that, I can PM you a referral, but it will be about $200 above your price range.

I, personally believe that you should always start with a good, reputable salon. They can answer your questions regarding style, color, hair type, system type (custom or stock), type of bases (lace, UTS, etc). This may cost more in the beginning, but save you in the end, especially if you get a system that is wrong, and you need to start all over again.

Many guys focus on the initial cost of the system and forget that you have other costs, such as maintenance (DIY, or not), and hair cuts, cut-ins, etc. My point being, in the scheme of things, trying to save a little bit on the system, may not save you in the end, and you may wind up spending more money than you planned, instead of making the investment, up-front. And there is also the aggravation factor.

Good luck!

Steve

NYChicken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey steve, gotta be honest. you answering to my question feel a little bit intimidating... in a good way i guess hahahah.

Anyway, i'd really like to know the name of this salon. Can i message you?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I will PM you, and you can always contact me when you want.

To be honest, a little intimation is normal, I would be surprised if you weren't. I was, for sure.

S.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi NYChicken, good to meet you.

Sorry you are feeling down about your hair - I bet there is no one on here that doesn't identify with those feelings. But the bright side is you have discovered the bitter truth which is the beginning of wisdom - there is no way to get back the hair you had, and there is only one way to look like you got back the hair you had, and that is a system. There is always somebody in Osaka or Stockholm who is just two years away from the big breakthrough which will give us all hair like Elvis; but for now that's the reality.

On your Qs 1 and 2 I will PM you.

On-line v. Salon is a difficult one. I started with a salon, and it was OK but not great. I'm not sure I got any actual knowledge about how to wear a system because I basically shut my eyes and let them do everything for me, but I suppose there was some comfort in having an experienced pair of hands there. All the same, I think if I was doing it again with what I now know, I would just do it myself. I have done a bit of on-line hand-holding for a few guys who took the plunge on a DIY basis from the get-go, and no one has crashed and burned. That said, I think quite a few of the experienced wearers on the forum would strongly disagree and say you should start with a salon.

As for stock v. custom - so far as I am concerned there is no upside of going with stock except speed, and sometimes a trivial price difference. There are potentially big advantages to going custom, in terms of perfect colour and texture match, percentage of grey, personally tailored hairline contour, perfect snug fit, ability to customise the design, add crown swirls and partings, say how the hair should sit, add tape patches etc etc., but they take 2 months to order. In New York you can probably have a stock piece within a few days of ordering.

I would ignore subtleties like remy hair, virgin hair etc etc for now. The standard type of hair (which for Westerners is processed Indian-sourced hair) is fine for most people. I never wear anything else. If you take to wearing a system, and you're rich, then you can start experimenting with these esoteric variants.

All the best with your quest

Noah

Josh mw

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello guys! how are you doing? I found this forum after entire months of researchs on hair systems.

Let me be honest. The experience of losing hair, for me, has been a real struggle. This year, in particular, was the worst.

i know you can understand the feeling of sadness, injustice and hopelessness when you can't do your hair the way you'd want to anymore, you are forced to look not as good as you could... it feels even worse when you know the situation it's only going one way: downhill.

The medications seemed to be quite appealing, but after some researches i could not avoid the harsh truth: they come with horrible downsides. Your hair won't be back at their 100%... and you could even get erectile disfunction or depression.

And then, the Solution. Surfing the tube, i saw the video of this bald guy looking like david beckam 5 minutes later. I was stunned. I felt my shattered dreams coming together again... a new hope.

So, what i invite you to do first, is to take a moment to really appreciate the fact that hairs systems exists and that they are done way better the they used to be...that they are so accessible... that you have a choice.
That you have experience people to talk with, that are not gonna substitute your learning curve, but make it so much faster, easier and less painful.

So, first of all, i wanna thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for their contributes here, expecially the "old" veterans like Noah and BaldBearded.

Said so, i feel like making some questions, so the make the best choice before taking the leap.

1) Which brand do you think is the best in term of quality, with a cap of 300-400 $ per system?

2) do you know any good stylist in the NYC area, which is willing to do the cut and installation (if i bought the system from an "external source") in a proper way?

3) with your precious conciousness and experience, which are the step you would take to transition from hair to hair system? (like buying online vs at the salon. stock vs custom piece. european vs remy hair. and whatever comes to your mind).

If you arrived there, i thank you very much in advance for the attention, and very much more for the contribute you're gonna leave.

For me choosing an all in one salon was more comfortable so that If I had issues I had someone close by to help. In fact yesterday was my first day with my first system and i sweat so bad in the evening I was noticing a little lift in the front, I panicked and texted him and he calmed me down and told me how to fix it. I think eventually after i've mastered the ins and outs of wearing one I may eventually choose to go DIY. But for now I'd rather spend the extra $ and have the extra support.

NYChicken

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys :) sorry if I didn't reply earlier, but I had trobule opening the forum site for 2 days! Have you ever experienced anything like that?

Anyway thanks you so much from the time you took to answer, I'm now gonna reply to PM.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys :) sorry if I didn't reply earlier, but I had trobule opening the forum site for 2 days! Have you ever experienced anything like that?

Anyway thanks you so much from the time you took to answer, I'm now gonna reply to PM.

Yes, happens from time to time...