Baldness becoming more common?

M

macimate

I thought about this today when thinking how many guys in my class has hairloss. We are 8 guys in my class and believe it or not every single one of us have a mature/NW2 hairline. Looking at the whole school I would say there is about 10 or less guys with an NW1 hairline, and on this school the ages only range from 15-20.

Is this because guys from Scandinavia (Denmark) have always lost it earlier or is it the same situation at your schools around the world now?

heynow1234

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think its more common, I think its always been common your just realizing it now more cause its happening to you.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I noticed I was losing hair up top I would never realize someone was balding till they were a NW3. Now I can spot a NW1.5 or a toupee from a mile away.

dirtyHairy

Reaction score
male pattern baldness is getting more and more common, before WWII male pattern baldness was almost non-existent in Japan, now its very common. I think it is the same all over the world. Probably has got something to do with our food, but noone knows for sure.

cuebald

Reaction score
I work at a School for Children aged 11-18 and not one of them is balding. I'd easily notice one if he was, it would stick out like a sore thumb.

I would say over half of the male staff are NW6 though.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Certainly not true at my school. I attend a public university with over 30,000 students and I rarely see a male with visible hair loss. It's about 80% NW1, 10% NW2, 5% NW3 and 5% NW4+.

I might see two or three completely bald dudes out of hundreds in a given day, and only a few more with thinning hair or recession. The vast majority have excellent hair.

Cassin

Reaction score
heynow1234 said:
I don't think its more common, I think its always been common your just realizing it now more cause its happening to you.

exactly...

Its like when you buy a new car you suddenly notice how many others have the same car.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Apparently a barber who had been cutting hair for like 30 years or something commented that he is noticing more young people today complaining of hair loss than before. It does SEEM to be worse.

Erm, I mean that guy then who mentioned that (about the barber), he was speculating the reason could be the internet as guys are masturbating more!! lol, and I'm not in a knowledgeable enough position to give a definite ruling one way or another on that :)

I would say other triggers might be people drinking more today, increased stress, increased unstable, inflammatory oils in foods.. possibly increased processed foods. Erm, god knows. That's all that comes off the top of my head.

I wonder how long SLS has been in shampoos o_O

and fluoridation of drinking water? That's a longer shot, but heavy metal build-up does seem to affect the thyroid, which does seem to affect hair loss.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
fluoridation of drinking water? That's a longer shot, but heavy metal build-up does seem to affect the thyroid, which does seem to affect hair loss.

Fluoride is a halogen not a metal.

jhart

Reaction score
i just saw seven samurai its based in china in 1850ish. to replicate the culture back then Kurosawa put bald caps on 80% of the cast.

Boondock

Reaction score
I would think the difference is pretty marginal. People have been losing hair young for a long time, and as far as I know there's no evidence of it increasing lately. Diet, lifestyle, and so on would be at most minor factors.

Stories about barbers noticing greater loss are too anecdotal to be worth anything.

Nene

Reaction score
jhart said:
i just saw seven samurai its based in china in 1850ish. to replicate the culture back then Kurosawa put bald caps on 80% of the cast.

It was actually set in Japan, and those bald caps are replicating a hairstyle! LOL

Hoppi

Reaction score
Boondock said:
I would think the difference is pretty marginal. People have been losing hair young for a long time, and as far as I know there's no evidence of it increasing lately. Diet, lifestyle, and so on would be at most minor factors.

Stories about barbers noticing greater loss are too anecdotal to be worth anything.

yeah but thing is like, the things I mentioned, I would be amazed if they make no difference. In fact, not just amazed but flat-out confused lol

Many modern oils are very inflammatory, SLS is very commonly believed to irritate the scalp, stress does affect hair loss and does sometimes seem to "trigger" it (which most likely means some kind of adrenal or thyroid change, IMO).

But like, I dunno, I'll learn more :)

Jocko59

Reaction score
Lots of opinion and not a whole lot of proof that hair loss is more prevelant now than in the past. Look at pictures of people from 100 years ago. People were bald then also.

Lots of folks looking desperately for answers to their own hair loss try and project all kinds of nepharious explainations for it (bad food, the environment, "heavy metals" lol, etc, etc.). In reality guys should probably be blaming their parents and even grandparents for getting together with their mates and creating the gene pool from which their hair loss comes from.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Jocko59 said:
Lots of opinion and not a whole lot of proof that hair loss is more prevelant now than in the past. Look at pictures of people from 100 years ago. People were bald then also.

Lots of folks looking desperately for answers to their own hair loss try and project all kinds of nepharious explainations for it (bad food, the environment, "heavy metals" lol, etc, etc.). In reality guys should probably be blaming their parents and even grandparents for getting together with their mates and creating the gene pool from which their hair loss comes from.

I pretty much agree with you on all that, Jocko59. Some people have been making the claim for years on hairloss sites that there is an increasing prevalence of balding, especially in certain ethnic groups (for example, the Japanese). But why is it that I haven't seen anything about that from the medical establishment? If you read modern review articles of balding (here's a very good one which I strongly recommend: "Male Pattern Hair Loss: Current Understanding", Whiting DA, Int J Dermatol. 1998 Aug;37(8):561-6), there is no mention at all of such an alleged upsurge in male pattern baldness. I know some well-meaning folks around here are bound and determined to make everybody believe that they can make themselves stop balding just by carefully choosing the foods they eat and the supplements they take, but I think that's (mostly) just a lot of wishful thinking.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Jocko59 said:

I dunno, I just think acts which increase inflammation, knock hormones out of balance, stuff like that, should be avoided. Good diet and less stress, fewer chemicals, etc. I dunno, just seems logical to me :)

Just because the male scalp is getting hit by more DHT, it doesn't mean that other things don't affect how destructive that DHT is, or how much of it there is. I have seen a good number of examples of people who made simple, individual changes and completely reversed their male pattern hair loss.

cuebald

Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I have seen a good number of examples of people who made simple, individual changes and completely reversed their male pattern hair loss.

where?