Balding and how it affects how you are treated at work

baldguy28

Established Member
Reaction score
I just started a new job recently where I'm around 5 other people in my section. The other guy who started with me is new and is 6 feet, has a nice thick full head of hair etc. When we were introduced to everyone, he was always introduced first and then when we were ready to move on I got the old "oh yea and this is Steve (my name is Steve)". You should have seen the looks on the women's faces when he was introduced compared to when I was introduced. They barely looked me in the eye when they saw me. I also noticed that my manager calls me condescending things like "buddy" and "pal" a lot while calling the other guy by his first name. I get this often elsewhere as well. It's like being bald gives people the ok to disrespect you and treat you like a second class citizen.

I was also in a conversation with one of my new female co-workers the other day and she was talking about how she heard we were chosen for the job. I found out that I was basically a second choice to someone who turned down the job. Then the girl (I use the term girl for someone who acts like this) goes "I was hoping that we would hire more guys with hair, we have enough bald guys in this building as it is" right in front of me! I'm not slick bald but I have a badly receded hairline so she had to know that I might be offended.

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

jfrank

Established Member
Reaction score
i told understand why some of you wont get a transplant.. thats what i'm getting if my hair gets really bad..

VWdude

Reaction score
balding people have to stop putting themselves down.

Baldie

Established Member
Reaction score
"I was hoping that we would hire more guys with hair, we have enough bald guys in this building as it is" right in front of me! I'm not slick bald but I have a badly receded hairline so she had to know that I might be offended.

It's a joke. I get this all the time at my work and I fight back with other insults. It's office life, get used to it.

member5959

Reaction score
That's pretty ridiculous. I mean why do people say things like that? Is it just simple ignorance or do they really say those type of things to hurt people? I really don't understand. Either way it seems to me that these are the type of people that really deserve to have looks/youth go. I know what you mean about being treated differently, ever since the hair started to go, it seems that people, strangers or even acquaintances, look at me with what seems almost like disrespect, like i am not important or relevant anymore. I like to refer to it "My LIfe as a an Ugly Person." But yeah why not get an hair transplant?

2young

Reaction score
You should have countered with, "and I wish I worked with hot chicks...instead I have to look at your ugly *** all day."

hairschmair

Established Member
Reaction score
2young said:
You should have countered with, "and I wish I worked with hot chicks...instead I have to look at your ugly *** all day."

Perhaps a more poignant (and less bitter sounding) retort could have been "and I wish more girls here had big breasts"... or whatever other physical feature she is lacking due to forces out of her control.

maintainence1

Established Member
Reaction score
Having gotten a lot of sh*t from my family, friends and strangers about losing my hair, I have come to the realization that I shouldn't be mad at them for their comments. Sure, it's a pretty insensitive thing to mention, but eventually I've grown comfortable with the fact that that's who I am and the best way to deal with it is to accept it.

hardcastle

Reaction score
What low-quality people. If any friends - and I use that term loosely, as I don't think the people I really consider friends would make inane comments like that - gave me sh*t about losing my hair, I would call them on it.

Plain and simple, I don't accept shitty treatment, no matter whether it's intended as such or not. You don't have to scream or get visibly angry, and in fact it's probably better that you don't. Depending on the situation, a smart crack might shut the idiots up.

You could also just stare at them, silently and incredulously, until they get the impression that they've acted like utter imbeciles. Long, awkward silences that follow a smart comment generally make the person who said it look pretty stupid.

conehead

Reaction score
Since most office women have the office spread disease (that is a fat ***) I would have said I wish for some women with nice asses

G

conehead said:
Since most office women have the office spread disease (that is a fat ***) I would have said I wish for some women with nice asses

Took the words right out of my mouth.

A guy I used to work with who was a NW6 and only 28 used to get the bald jokes and remarks all the time especially from one fat *** b**ch on my team. He would just sit there and laugh but I could see it was killing the poor bastard inside.

I spoke to him about it tactfully and told him to hit back with a fatt *** remark next time she took the piss out of his bald head. Sure enough she almost burst into tears and reported him but she didnt have a leg to stand on after all the bald jibes she gave him.

f*****g fat *** slag

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
You're only choice now is a trip to Walmart for a large purchase of weapons and plenty of ammo...then back to your job to let them know how you *really* feel.....

Greg1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I hear where you're coming from on this. But please, hear me out. I don't know but I have a gut that if your self-worth IN SPITE of your challenge was higher than this other guy's then you would be noticed allot more and given more attention. That attention might not be in the way that you'd like but you would still be shown more attention.

I think what people need to see more of is guys and gals that have a positive tude about themselves even though their hair is thinning or balding. Can you imagine how invincible we could be since we have conquered one of the most common physical challenges to men and some ladies?! Full speed ahead folks!

G

I got humiliated at work because of my hair loss. Find the post. I haven’t got the energy to go into major details again.

Basically, I wore a hat everyday. My boss spoke to me about football/soccer. I hate his team, he hates my team, but it was supposed to be good banter.

About 3 months into the job, people starting talking as to why this young guy, always wore a hat; it wasn't accepted. They wanted to know what was underneath.

Anyway, I got into a slight argument with my boss, once and he whipped my cap from my head, knowing full well that I had hair loss, took me outside and started pushing me, saying "What are you going to do about it? No one is around to witness" He was right.

I looked an idiot. My hair loss was on view to everyone before he asked me to go outside. People laughed.

I felt like sh*t. This was last August. I left in November. I haven’t had a job since. I'm moving house in 2 months anyway, so that's part the reason.

G

[

I would have kicked the f*****g sh*t out of him.

What a f*****g c***.

Some people may have laughed but a lot of them would have thought he was a prick for doing it.
I looked an idiot. My hair loss was on view to everyone before he asked me to go outside. People laughed.

I felt like sh*t. This was last August. I left in November. I haven’t had a job since. I'm moving house in 2 months anyway, so that's part the reason.

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As far as good replies, its best to counter things like that with shots targeted at their ugly soul rather than their outward appearance.

"I kinda wish less superficial people worked here" would be ideal.

As far as a boss pushing me around Gunner, well he would have gotten what he deserved, a good ***-beating. If you know what you are doing this should be do-able, if you dont, well you will need to start off with a really bad cheap shot in order to pull it off. PM me if you want some ideas that will work.

scottie311

Established Member
Reaction score
here is your solutioin Gunner....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/

Gunner said:
I got humiliated at work because of my hair loss. Find the post. I haven’t got the energy to go into major details again.

Basically, I wore a hat everyday. My boss spoke to me about football/soccer. I hate his team, he hates my team, but it was supposed to be good banter.

About 3 months into the job, people starting talking as to why this young guy, always wore a hat; it wasn't accepted. They wanted to know what was underneath.

Anyway, I got into a slight argument with my boss, once and he whipped my cap from my head, knowing full well that I had hair loss, took me outside and started pushing me, saying "What are you going to do about it? No one is around to witness" He was right.

The Gardener

Reaction score
I would have responded differently. I would have laughed at the balding joke right along with the others in the crowd.

We are balding. So what. If they REALLY thought you looked bad because of it, they wouldn't have made the joke right in front of you.

Sorry to be the voice of reason in the pity party here, but you have to learn not to be so sensitive about these things. Don't take yourselves so seriously, and learn to laugh at yourself from time to time. When someone cracks a bald joke, laugh along with it! I mean, it is pretty f*****g funny! Just read the entries in this forum, listen to us! We are hair-obsessed, crazy bastards! Instead of being embarassed about it, REVEL in it! Sure, I am pissed at being a norwood person, I get frustrated, I get Nizoral in my eyes, I get people blatantly staring at my hairline, but if you get all bent out of shape about it each time all you are doing is kicking your own ***.

Have any of you ever heard of that christian sect that engages in self-flagellation as a means of reminding themselves of their innate imperfection and sinfulness? Well, sometimes that is what some attitudes remind me of here. End the self-flagellation! Stand up on your own two Norwood-*** feet and just be proud of yourself for all you are, norwood or not, you are alive and you can kick *** in this world! End the self-flagellation, and concentrate more on flagellating the pussies of the hot women out there!

People can say things, taunt, make fun of you, but NOBODY can take away your greatness as a human without your consent. Don't give them that consent. Just keep on being awesome regardless of it. And THAT, in my opinion, is the best weapon against assholes like those you mention above.

Johnny24601

Experienced Member
Reaction score
re:

The woman sounds like a self centered idiot and I do my best to not allow any idiot's comments to effect me.
I am sorry, but I assume you are a grown man so I think it is time to start acting like one. male pattern baldness sucks but it is the reality of life for many many men and I just do not understand how you can let it effect your work and quality of life to such a degree? Apparantly you are as shallow and vain as that idiot coworker because you to define yourself by the amount of hair you have instead of the quality of your character. This is a good life lesson, that physical attributes are in no way an indication of who we are as an individual. In time you will start to realize that there are far more important things to focus on in life then the amount of hair on your head, I know male pattern baldness has done that for me.