Bald Shaming In Msm: 'high Maintenance' On Hbo

blackg

Reaction score
Couldn't compute , elaborate ?
Oh, it's just a Seinfeld reference.
Jerry was once talking about how car manufacturers like to give their vehicles fancy names like, the "integra" or "impreza."

This was the early 90's, now.

Then he said something like, "Oh yeah! Well what if one of your cars is a lemon? How about calling it a "lemona?"

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
It continues..

Hey man, my struggles with hair loss have even caused me to even notice bald players in the NFL. For instance, since my Vikings are out of the playoff hunt, I've been looking forward to the NFL draft. And one of the top players, RB Leonard Fornette, is like an NW5 in his early 20's. I really wonder how some of these guys deal with it.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Seinfeld and to an extent Curb your Enthusiasm helped me cope with my hair loss somehow.

I think that humor can truly be a life-saver, that it has the power to lighten the burden of our existence.

Even my father cannot stop laughing when I show him some of the scenes of these shows, even if his baldness caused him a lot of pain.

I'd encourage any person suffering from hair loss to watch those shows, any show with clever humor really.

It helps you not to take life so seriously and you'll quickly realize that you can find humor in the gravest situations.

OK, I can see your point of view and if humor helps you deal with hair loss, then that is cool. I just find no humor in the devastation that hair loss causes. Just today, you even stated in another thread how hair loss caused you to lose your mind, and be diagnosed with major depression and anxiety disorder, and eventually full blown mania. You've stated how you've cried yourself to sleep due to hair loss, and how hurt and depressed you felt when people used to diss you because of your hair loss, and I felt terrible for you when you spoke that "he has no hair" incident at the bar. I find no humor at all in any of that; I find it sad and heartbreaking.

Believe it or not, I actually ran into a bald guy over the weekend at one of my rock clubs. I had a few too many beers so I actually asked him how he handled hair loss. When I drink too much, I get more loose-lipped than a nickel wh***, haha. We actually had a nice talk, and it made me feel good that I ran into some one who shared my affliction and empathized with my plight. If we joked amongst ourselves about hair loss, that might have made me feel a bit better. It would be empathizing humor, rather than public mocking.

But Seinfeld and Curb Your Enthusiasm are so over-the-top with their ridicule and mocking of hair loss that, I believe, they help to make it perfectly OK to make fun of hair loss in public. Larry David does it obsessively and ad nauseum, so much so, that it really becomes overkill. And regarding Seinfeld, they poke fun at baldness through a character that has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. They associate baldness with a complete loser, and not by coincidence at all. It's public display of the "bald loser" like this, that help to contribute to the public's view of baldness as being uncool, ugly, and associated with losers.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is way worse than what George and Larry does to the baldness stigma with Seinfeld and Curb. The bald and short man in the wig is portrayed like the biggest loser in the universe, and the girl who dances with him is felt sorry for.
That's way harder for me to watch than a fun and lovable character who's bald.

Plus George and Larry both get women--they just f*** it up because of their obsessive personality. That has nothing to do with baldness (Or maybe it is because he less power?) He's hyper aware of his baldness but he's hyper aware of everything that bothers him. But i think he shows real insightfulness in some moments about a man who is below or average looks dealing with baldness. I don't mean the slapstick stuff. Just some lines over the years he says give real perspective.

I think the episode probably bothers people the most is when Elaine freaks out about his hair piece--but I think it shows her arrogance--which is her biggest flaw. And they SHOW that he was being accepted more when women thought he had hair but even the bald woman rejected him after he lost his hair piece.

I mean all 4 are hugely flawed human beings. No one is the 'hero' at the others expenses.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey blackg, I thought of you again just now, Mr. Raiders Fan. Remember Bob Golic, who was the flamboyant mullet-haired Nose Tackle for the Raiders back in the day. Well his younger brother is Mike Golic, who played for the Eagles, and now co-hosts a show on ESPN Radio. Mike is an NW1 at like 50 years old. I just recently saw his son, Mike Golic Jr., who is like a diffused NW5 in his 20's. It just goes to show how unpredictable hair loss can be, and how we can tend to notice hair loss in the most unlikely places.

Last edited:

integra

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, it's just a Seinfeld reference.
Jerry was once talking about how car manufacturers like to give their vehicles fancy names like, the "integra" or "impreza."

This was the early 90's, now.

Then he said something like, "Oh yeah! Well what if one of your cars is a lemon? How about calling it a "lemona?"

Aha ! guess that's a western joke , certainly not my drift.
Well I did watch seinfeild when I was much younger, followed for some seasons
forgot most of it. Funny how he looks nowadays, suits him though.

Seems he was right about his joke , integra is the name of my first car.