Bald Shaming In Msm: 'high Maintenance' On Hbo

Guzam

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This evening I witnessed a whole new level of bald shaming and mocking in the Media.

HBO produces a TV series CALLED 'High Maintenance'. The series follows the stories of some lost Millennials in a 2010's NY. It's supposedly a comedy series, but it looks and feels 'dark' and unsettling for the most part. It has been considered a 'stoner classic' since it came out.

These New Yorkers' stories are all linked because of a character who appears in all episodes. This character is called The Guy. He's the epitome of the out-of-place Millennial: drug dealer (all stories are linked because he delivers drugs at the various characters in the series), overall loser, easily bullied and living a strange life in which he's never the main protagonist of what happens around him.

You already know: he's horribly balding, but he sports an over-compensating full, pubes-like, wispy beard (in an episode, a woman explicitly refers to his beard as a bush of pubes -

).

The Guy is an introverted guy, sometimes he appears semi-autistic and lacking in confidence. He's a loser and obviously, they made him BALD. He's so much a loser that he's never EVEN NAMED.

His baldness is constantly highlighted in all scenes, by scene lights or by various characters. A supposedly comical scene sees an hairstylist mocking the Guy who is just asking for an haircut. The hairstylist mocks his balding head; he says that he can't cut because the hair strands are too few. The Guy is visibly ashamed.

I felt a very sinking feeling right then. I'm this close to that kind of baldness, and I'm this close to this kind of mockery by others.

A particular scene extremized that feeling: this one:

The Guy meets an abusive customer. Jacked, boastful, overall gangsta and full of himself. He's a very unpleasing character who bullies The Guy and mocks him in this very funny, weird dialogue. Guess it: he's SHAVEN bald.

This series completely doomed the bald man. The bald(ing) man, according to the narrative, is either a loser or a hyper macho bully.

I hope one day we will win against the disease.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
To be honest, I think you're overreading this one @Guzam . Yeah he's a grown out NW4, but that dude is still a pretty good-looking guy by most people's standards and I think his beard is actually a good look on him. I've seen similar looking guys (albeit with a bit more up top) pull cute girls at parties. He's far from the NW10 stereotype. If you want a really (but subtly) antibald franchise, then look no further than "The Incredibles":
. I love Pixar and was gutted when I spotted this. They even add a couple of Norwood's onto the main dude Mr Incredible - to show his aging, he goes from an NW1 to an NW2/3. I suppose you could applaud this for realism, but notice they stopped well short of the dreaded bald crown territory. An NW2/3 was fine, but full blown baldness on a white male superhero? Not in a million years. That sh*t was reserved for the deadbeat schoolteacher.

I did not think it was that deep either..

I think he is just a hipster pot dealer..I did not really see the baldness i see the beard as the stereo type.

and
EVERYONE who ever LOVED A DOG or LOVES dogs should watch the episode "GATSBY"

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
This evening I witnessed a whole new level of bald shaming and mocking in the Media.

HBO produces a TV series CALLED 'High Maintenance'. The series follows the stories of some lost Millennials in a 2010's NY. It's supposedly a comedy series, but it looks and feels 'dark' and unsettling for the most part. It has been considered a 'stoner classic' since it came out.

These New Yorkers' stories are all linked because of a character who appears in all episodes. This character is called The Guy. He's the epitome of the out-of-place Millennial: drug dealer (all stories are linked because he delivers drugs at the various characters in the series), overall loser, easily bullied and living a strange life in which he's never the main protagonist of what happens around him.

You already know: he's horribly balding, but he sports an over-compensating full, pubes-like, wispy beard (in an episode, a woman explicitly refers to his beard as a bush of pubes -

).

The Guy is an introverted guy, sometimes he appears semi-autistic and lacking in confidence. He's a loser and obviously, they made him BALD. He's so much a loser that he's never EVEN NAMED.

His baldness is constantly highlighted in all scenes, by scene lights or by various characters. A supposedly comical scene sees an hairstylist mocking the Guy who is just asking for an haircut. The hairstylist mocks his balding head; he says that he can't cut because the hair strands are too few. The Guy is visibly ashamed.

I felt a very sinking feeling right then. I'm this close to that kind of baldness, and I'm this close to this kind of mockery by others.

A particular scene extremized that feeling: this one:

The Guy meets an abusive customer. Jacked, boastful, overall gangsta and full of himself. He's a very unpleasing character who bullies The Guy and mocks him in this very funny, weird dialogue. Guess it: he's SHAVEN bald.

This series completely doomed the bald man. The bald(ing) man, according to the narrative, is either a loser or a hyper macho bully.

I hope one day we will win against the disease.

the actors is also a main writer and producer of the show

He is also a co-creator.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't see any mocking here... am I missing something?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its funny its a post about a show about pot

because when i smoke pot i can read WAY more into sh*t than is actually there

@buckthorn rent episode of that show and watch GATSBY. IT was all from the Dogs perspective. And so accurate.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the thing about art...your pain is going to make it into your work.
You exploit EVERYTHING.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
In my eyes, it helps that the creator of the show is noticeably balding. At least he practices what he preaches, which is completely different from a clueless NW1's excessive preaching. But I never understood why bald/balding guys make fun of themselves (and make themselves look like morons) for the whole world to see. As Fred says, maybe it is this guys way of coping. Similarly, I never understood how guys like Larry David and Jason Alexander could make themselves look like complete morons for the whole world to see. Maybe it is their way of coping as well, but it seems like complete overkill to me. You could never even pay me enough millions to demean myself the way they do.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
In my eyes, it helps that the creator of the show is noticeably balding. At least he practices what he preaches, which is completely different from a clueless NW1's excessive preaching. But I never understood why bald/balding guys make fun of themselves (and make themselves look like morons) for the whole world to see. As Fred says, maybe it is this guys way of coping. Similarly, I never understood how guys like Larry David and Jason Alexander could make themselves look like complete morons for the whole world to see. Maybe it is their way of coping as well, but it seems like complete overkill to me. You could never even pay me enough millions to demean myself the way they do.

I think Seinfeld is actually kind of brilliant..George IS Larry David.

I think Seinfeld shows accurately what can happen to a person because of mistreatment from being bald.

the bitterness that comes the way it can effect whole existence...the struggle to be confident.

I would think bald men would feel kind of vindicated by the character.
George can never know where his place in the world would have been if he had not lost his hair at a young age.

Curb Your Enthusaisn i did not feel was about a bald man i felt it was about a man who cuts his nose off to spite his face constantly because he cannot control his compulsions to push peoples buttons. Or let things go.
Which was also in the George character.

cocohot

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I think Seinfeld shows accurately what can happen to a person because of mistreatment from being bald.

the bitterness that comes the way it can effect whole existence...the struggle to be confident.

George can never know where his place in the world would have been if he had not lost his hair at a young age.

Curb Your Enthusaisn i did not feel was about a bald man i felt it was about a man who cuts his nose off to spite his face constantly because he cannot control his compulsions to push peoples buttons. Or let things go.

Completely agree,

Larry David won a Grammy for being the creator of Seinfeld in the mid 90's, no one had ever heard of Larry David at the time, he stood up in front of everyone and millions of people on live tv and said: "This is all well and good, but I'm still bald".

I love this:

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score

I think that a lot of the comedic value is very smart. But I feel that all George does is act excessively stupid on every single episode. They portray a bald man to be a complete loser and a moron. I think they just mock the bald condition, and surely do not bring any positive light to it. After all, Larry David is a comedian and he is using being bald as easy comedic fodder, since there is no politically correct stigma attached to making fun of baldness. I mean, I am going bald and I don't see any part of myself in the George Costanza character at all. In fact, I am kind of repulsed whenever I see that character. I don't know any self-respecting man who would act like George. But I will admit that I never thought of all of this prior to losing my own hair.

cocohot

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think that a lot of the comedic value is very smart. But I feel that all George does is act excessively stupid on every single episode. They portray a bald man to be a complete loser and a moron. I think they just mock the bald condition, and surely do not bring any positive light to it. After all, Larry David is a comedian and he is using being bald as easy comedic fodder, since there is no politically correct stigma attached to making fun of baldness. I mean, I am going bald and I don't see any part of myself in the George Costanza character at all. In fact, I am kind of repulsed whenever I see that character. I don't know any self-respecting man who would act like George. But I will admit that I never thought of all of this prior to losing my own hair.

Everything that George Costanza said or did is based on Larry David's own life.

For example, Larry David really did get fired for using his bosses toilet, and really did go back to work the next day and tried to act like it never happened and got removed from the building.

He's the most popular character in the most popular show in history.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
He is the most popular character because people love to laugh at him. Just like they love to laugh at hair loss. He is the lovable loser, and baldness is made to be a huge part of that. I highly doubt that everything that happened to George happened to Larry too. For instance, there is that episode where George tries on that ridiculous wig, flaunts it to all his friends, and then Elaine throws it out the window while George chases after it like a pathetic loser. I highly doubt that happened to Larry. On every single episode, George is either made fun of, goofed on, or behaves so incredibly stupidly (behavior that no self-respecting person would exhibit) that people cannot help but laugh at him. Before hair loss, it never occurred to me. But now that I am suffering from hair loss, I just see the George Costanza as another vehicle to make it way more acceptable to make fun of bald men. But whatever, I still like you as a poster so let's just agree to disagree (--;

integra

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some of you should check for hormonal imbalance .

On a side note after watching a few episodes it does look like
he's quite a chill dude where everyone else is in need for some retarded remedies .

Last edited:

blackg

Reaction score
Some of you should check for hormonal imbalance .

On a side note after watching a few episodes it does look like
he's quite a chill dude where everyone else is in need for some retarded remedies .
Integra??
Lemoma.