Bald father - son having full head of hair

evil_genius87

Reaction score
Hi!

I was just wondering if race did matter. My dad is white and started balding in his mid thirties, and now unfortunately he is completely bald; his brother got a bald patch on the top of his head. My paternal grandfather also lost his hair, but never went completely bald, and my great-uncles from my paternal grandmother lost hair when they got really old, but nothing too "hardcore". Obviously my dad is the unluckiest in the whole family tree.

My mom is black, and there is no history of male pattern baldness in her family.

Me i'm 21 years old, i don't think i have any sings of male pattern baldness yet; I got curly hair (some kind of an Afro) which are different from my dad's (he had straight hair), a dark skin and i definetely got my mom's hairline (coming from my maternal grandfather). I also have to say that my brother is 23 and ain't got any sign of male pattern baldness either

I know i'm at risk... but i'm just wondering if by any chance i could dodge that baldness-bullet, at least before i hit thirty-something. Can we anticipate? I'm freaking out because two of my bestfriends are struggling with hairloss.

Thx for your help!

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
Race doesn't matter. Unless you are from pure Amerindian ancestry from South America.

Probably you have some chances of not going bald thanks to your mother, but her race has nothing to do with it. It's not like black people don't go bald

Seriously, if you got the looks of what anyone on the street would call typically Black I don't know why you would even freak out.
Baldness for black people is a whole different issue. High hairlines are not uncommon and a shaved head is seen as any other hair style

gunmaster

Reaction score
i dont remember my grandparents being bald or having thin hair. Plus theres no bald cousins. but my parents both have hair. Granted there 60 and there both have very thin hair. Im 25 and im a N2.5? its almost like some gave me a shot of the bald gene at birth and no my mom didnt sleep around lol. :thumbdown2:

Lloyd Braun

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I am taking after my father, who took after his father. My dad's brother also takes after their father and my dad and him have the same type of pattern--Norwood 2ish hairline with a very thin spot in the crown. My maternal grandfather, who had full thick hair his whole life (slowly went from Norwood 0 to Norwood 2 from age 25 to age 70), also seems to have taken after his father who kept all of his hair. Both of my grandmothers have a brother named Charles and both went Norwood 7 bald. My paternal grandfather had two bald brothers and baldness has infiltrated many of the male cousins on that side. My maternal grandfather had no brother or sons so I don't know how pervasive his good hair genes were. Hopefully they reside in me in some recessive state and will be passed on to my son. :)

atliens99

Reaction score
Pretty sure the biggest factor is the Androgen Recepter gene( AR GENE) which is on the x chromosome.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another one.

Ricky Hatton -

ricky-hatton-4311.jpg

And his younger brother, Matthew Hatton -

C_71_article_1406266_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Ricky has a thick Norwood 1 hairline at 33 while his younger brother of the age of 30, is a few years from a horse shoe.

I also want to point out that Matthew Hatton has being like that for years.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another one -

Captain Phil Harris (RIP) from Deadliest Catch

53 at the time of his passing.

phil-harris-deadliest-catch_2401.jpg

And his Father, in this video at :26 seconds. I know it's his Father because I saw an interview with him on one of the special shows but can't find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5KL6dN9 ... re=related

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yea my older bro is like Ricky Hatton, not in the sense that he gets KO'd in fights and snorts coke :) but he's six years my senior and still has a full head of hair, I on the other hand while not being quite as bad as Matthew Hatton, have developed a NW3... It makes us look quite weird in photos together.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Ricky Hattons dad has got as much hair as Ricky aswell, and he must be about 60. Another boxer Arturo Gatti had a great NW1 but his younger brother was totally bald.

LooseItAll

Established Member
Reaction score
IrishFella said:
Another one.

Ricky Hatton -

ricky-hatton-4311.jpg

And his younger brother, Matthew Hatton -

C_71_article_1406266_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

Ricky has a thick Norwood 1 hairline at 33 while his younger brother of the age of 30, is a few years from a horse shoe.

I also want to point out that Matthew Hatton has being like that for years.

So so unfair... :jackit:

s.a.f

Reaction score
I'm betting that if you found a pic of Matthew taken 10 yrs ago even then he would'nt have that Steven Gerrard like hairline that Ricky has.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
I'm betting that if you found a pic of Matthew taken 10 yrs ago even then he would'nt have that Steven Gerrard like hairline that Ricky has.

Although I have no idea what the guys look like on his mother's side, I'm assuming he got that side of the genes.

Considering, like you said, his dad has a full head of hair at 60 odd.