AZ's Story

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
Xandrox 15% - 3 month update on page 13.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Everyone!

Well...

My story started 2 years ago I guess. I was 19 years old and in one of those "emo" phases and my hair was long already so I decided to dye my hair black. It is then that I started to notice I would lose a lot of hair in the shower (on my palm when shampooing) but I just tought that I notcied it because my hair was black.

Here are the pics of that time.

November20055.jpg

November 2005
November2005.jpg

November 2005

I didn't even think that it was male pattern baldness.

This past summer I still didn't notice anything. Here is the best pic I could find of the "top" of my head. I guess the temples are going a little bit...

July2006.jpg

July 2006

After a year or two of having long hair I finally decided to get it cut short for my cousins wedding. I have naturally THIN hair so seeing my scalp was never an issue for me. Here is the best pic I have showing my hair.

September2006.jpg

September 2006

Recently, in the past 6-8 months I would say male pattern baldness has hit my hair pretty hard. I now have a bald spot forming in the back and am starting to thin in the dreaded NW7 with the island in the front like my father.

I guess I was blessed with my mother's baby face, mother's thin hair and father's male pattern baldness.

Right now I am just using nizoral 2% every third day but would like to start minoxidil 5%. I havn't started it yet (have bought it already) as I keep contemplating using it for the rest of my life.

Yes, hair is important to me. I have a baby face and am not fully grown for a 21 year old and hair makes me look older. I tried looking in the mirror and blocking out my hair to see how it would looked shaved and I don't think it would be very good.

I would like advice from you guys/gals. What do you think? I have a 3month minoxidil Foam ready to go but yet to use it. I really don't want to start finasteride just yet as you can see from the pics I am not fully mature although I have thought about starting .5mg?? I need advice please.

Here are my current, and worse pics (note I got a hair cut 2 days ago and of course the hair dresser cut it "short" which means shorter than I like).

Front-March2007.jpg

Frontleft-March2007.jpg

Frontright-March2007.jpg

Top-March2007.jpg

Topwithflash-March2007.jpg

With Flash
Back-March2007.jpg

Backwithflash-March2007.jpg

With Flash
March 2007

I recently went to the doctors and had my blood test done. My sister works there on weekends so she called me and told me everything was perfect (calcium, potassium, cholesterol, etc etc.). I asked her for my testosterone levels and she told me these 3 things:

My results:
1. Iron 68 umol/L (normal adult range 45-63)
2. Testosterone 28.1 nmol/L (adult range 6-30)
3. Trace amount of Keto...(which I attribute to nizoral right?)

**I have been working out for about 4 years now. I do light workouts just to keep in shape and not to actually BUILD muscle but I highly doubt this has caused early male pattern baldness.

Can someone please comment on these results and tell me if that can be the cause of my male pattern baldness. I have a female family doctor so I doubt she will know much about it. When I talked to her about testing myself for testosterone she did know what minoxidil was so I guess that was a bonus. I didn't discuss finasteride with her.

To everyone else on here. male pattern baldness is nothing to be ashamed of. It happens to the best and worst of us. It happens to some of us early on in life and to others later. Just have confidence in what you do and work out once in awhile 8) . Having said that...here I am :D

Me-March2007.jpg

March 2007

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
go straight to the big 3...if you want to keep what you have and hope for some regrowth your only options are finasteride/minoxidil/nizoral.....If i was in your shoes id prob use dutas over finasteride, but that is a decision you have to make for yourself.

hellohello

Established Member
Reaction score
Luck for you, your a decent looking guy with a good attitutude, I can see male pattern baldness won't keep you down, good!

Unlucky, it seems to be pretty agressive. Research the Big 3 and get on them asap, I wouldn't be surprised if you get really good results. Just don't waste much time considering treatments, because its agressive, don't go for anything that isn't proven treatments.

Best of luck mate, thow I don't feel you'll need it.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ohhh mannnnn i feel for you!!!!!! your hair looked so rad before, now not so much. if i were you i would get on finasteride right away. then i would start using that rogaine you have kicking around.

you're a smart guy, clearly, to know that male pattern baldness isn't the worst thing to happen to you. you sound alright with letting your hair go if you have to, but like you would rather keep it if you could. so why not treat it? use that minoxidil...for a year, for 5 years, for 10 years. you can stop whenever you no longer feel it's necessary. you don't have to use it for your whole life because you have already demonstrated you accept male pattern baldness, just use it for as long as you feel you want to.

i'm 21 and going bald too, mine is temple recession though not as much thinning as yours. i'm not ashamed of my hair loss, but i would rather lose it at 30 than 21, alot of girls our age would not date a guy noticably losing his hair and even if those arent the girls you want to date it can still hurt your confidence.

funny thing i noticed

we have in common, age, country we live in, clothes and brands we wear, methods in drinking beer, styles in which we have worn our hair, black acoustic guitar, and i think i have one of the same lotions that are in your bathroom. :freaked:

i doubt anyone else shares that shower curtain in common with you though

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Is all that hair loss a result of male pattern baldness? Because it seems like you lost a whole lot within 6 months. On the plus side though, you have a great attitude and you caught it early so there's still hope.

I know you say you don't think you'll look good with a shaved head, but I still suggest you shave it or buzz it with no guard for now. Honestly, it'll look a whole lot better. The thinning will be less noticeable and I think you have the right face to pull it off. Plus it'll be a lot easier to apply minoxidil and you wouldn't have to worry about going to the barber, styling your hair, etc.

And I also suggest to add finasteride/dutas into your regimen.

Lorenzo_91

Established Member
Reaction score
Now this is what I would do: It's definitively a sad story because it's pretty aggressive since it is moving fast. Plus you missed catching it early. You are not far away from just really having lost a ton.

Here it is. This is not what I did but it's what I would do if I was in your shoes.

1. Do not get on minoxidil.

2. Load on Avodart (10 Straight) and then take one every other day.

3. Put on Nizoral like it's going out of style 3 times a week.

In one year you will have the hair you used to if you are lucky.
If you decide to ignore this advice then just do what some of the other people said and get on the big three.

dietcola

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i agree you've lost alot but i believe it can be saved

lorenzo, go ahead and tell him the reasons to take dutasteride over the big 3. or someone else fill that in, so he knows why he's taking which treatmets and not just grabbing what people tell him to.

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
wow man, you lost a ton in the last 6 months. You may find it levels off now, but then it might just continue. Like mines just been a steady continous decline from when i was 17 (im 21 now), so I've had time to get used to it. but it must come as a shock for u i imagine :shock:
Basically, this is how it is, im about the same stage as you are, I've probably lost more of the hairline at the temples than you, but my overall coverage is slightly thicker, basically its now or never. Im going on the big 3, in an attempt to do something before its too late. I think its worth it, at least i can rest easy in a few years to come knowing that i tried whilst i still had a chance.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
:eek:

I can't believe how much you lost in such a short time, it must be proper shocking ...

if it was me, I'd consider the daddy - dutasteride - at this point. I'd wait, say, 9 months and if I saw no improvement I'd get on the minoxidil too.

buzz your head in the meantime and forget about it. Your head shape is almost identical to mine, don't worry a shaved head looks ok on us :)

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whilst I think that it'd crazy that you've lost so much in such a short space of time both your face and more importantly your attitude means that it's not going to affect you too badly. Others have already said this but you've got a choice between finasteride and dutasteride.

Listen to other people's opinions, understand what they're saying, read up on both drugs through the forums and then make a decision based upon what you're comfortable with. A week or so is not going to make any difference as far as future loss is concerned so take your time and come to a decision that you are personally comfortable with.

good luck.

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
dietcola said:
funny thing i noticed

we have in common, age, country we live in, clothes and brands we wear, methods in drinking beer, styles in which we have worn our hair, black acoustic guitar, and i think i have one of the same lotions that are in your bathroom. :freaked:

i doubt anyone else shares that shower curtain in common with you though

LOL :lol:

Yeah I guess I have lost a lot over the past couple of months. I have to add one thing. I've always had THIN hair. I don't know why but a lot of the pics don't show that I do. I think due to my thin hair, losing hair to male pattern baldness just made it look that much worse as I had little to start with. I do agree however that I have lost a lot.

From what I have researched over the past 2 months, I think I'm going to go on the Big 3(4).

Regimen:
0.5mg finasteride/day
2x minoxidil 5%
nizoral every 3rd day
MSM 3000mg/day (have to find that chart with weights)

I have yet to buy finasteride or MSM. I'm looking to get finasteride from inhouse pharmacy.

http://www.in house pharmacy.com/generics/finpecia.html

Thinking of getting 9 strips (90 tablets) and since I'm still not fully matured starting on .5mg and seeing how it goes.

Can someone please vouch for these in that they are legit and not fake.

As for MSM, I remember reading a post where there is MSM that's "good" and MSM that's "bad" (bad as in not made with the pure chemicals or something like that). Can someone please assist me with what I should be looking for on the bottle when I buy the MSM pills.

THANKS for all the replies!!! I really appreciate it and hey, if male pattern baldness has any positives, it definetly makes us realized all the things we take for granted.

p.s. Can anyone comment on my blood test results from the first page??

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I live in Ontario too and I'm fairly certain inhousepharmacy.com doesn't ship to anywhere in Canada (thanks to our stingy customs). In fact, it's hard finding a reliable place online that'll ship to Canada.

The only place that I can vouch for that sells legit drugs and ships to Canada is: http://pharma-orders.com/.
The prices are cheap (got 60 pills of fincar or 300 days worth of finasteride for $48US) and their service is pretty good (when my order got snatched by customs the first time, they immediately shipped me another batch without any hassles). You maybe turned off by the shitty looking website but try to ignore that, they're legit.

But maybe someone else can chime in and mention another place that sells legit drugs to Canada. I'm looking for another one just in case this one shuts down or something.

SkylineGTR

Experienced Member
Reaction score
woot for us aggressive young'ins loosing it fast.

You look like the same path I took.

Jump on the 3 like i did.
Dutas (used to take daily cut back to M W F)
minoxidil 2x a day
Nizoral every other day.

Cross your fingers and hope you respond well.

G

Jesus, that´s one agressive hair loss.........

Your regimen looks good though in your case I would go for the big gun (dutasteride) right now.

One thing I don´t understand is how you said that hair makes you look older. Imo in EVERY case hair loss does so.

On the July 2006 pic you look like 19 on the recent one you look like someone my age (24/5).

Good luck to you!

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Small Update: So I went to the family doctor and talked about my hairloss. I have a female family doctor so she knew very little about male pattern baldness. She thought that finasteride was in Rogaine lol. I told her, internally, the only way to fight male pattern baldness was through finasteride so she did prescribe me Proscar. She also said she'd make me an appointment to a "metrosexual" Dermatologist so that way he'll know everything about hair lol.

Small Rant: So this is it I guess. I have everything I need for male pattern baldness. It's sort of weird though. When I thought about taking meds/foams/pills etc I didn't have a problem and I still don't but this is it...I am now entering a new stage of my life and I don't know if I should be excited or scared.

I guess all I can say is *CLICK*CLICK*

DSCF0240.jpg

BOOM

Here are the costs for anyone wondering:
Roagine $50 or so (ebay)
Proscar $70 (30 Merck pills)
nizoral $10 (on sale woo)
pill cutter $7 (rip off)
MSM $12 (120 pills 1000mg each)

I'm still debating starting this regime. I don't know what it is...I guess I'll just have to man up some time soon and start it....

indie85

Established Member
Reaction score
start it as soon as possible dude! Im in exact same position as you, everything came through post mid week, but start it, I know at least I had this huge satisfaction applying that first foam and popping that first pill that I've finally done something. Its not like its a huge hastle to do either, foam dries in like 2 minutes flat and has made my hair look pretty good actually, and pill I just take as soon as i get up. Have no problems carrying this on for as long as it works/want to keep my hair :)