Azelaic acid, and addition to minoxidil

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
[quote="The Gardener":fb717]I believe that the standard 5% minoxidil formulation in an alcohol/PPG vehicle is as close to a fully saturated solution as can be kept stable at varying shelf temperatures. Adding another chemical to the mix might work on a very short term basis, but the minoxidil might start precipitating out in the following days.

That just hasn't happened to me Gardener. I don't go crazy with adding things all at once though. Right now, I mix Phenytoin with my minoxidil. at 1.5 percent with no precipitation problems. But like you say, maybe we should limit our additions to 2 percent?

I'm only talking about generic minoxidil. Gardener. You know, the stuff that has more PPG than Doctor Lee's

From what I've read about solubility of minoxidil. and other "medicines", I'd bet you're right when it comes to the low PPG minoxidil. Doctor Lee sells. I would guess that solution is probably at it's soluble "max.". But I really don't know.[/quote:fb717]

I tried to ozbrewize one of Dr. Lee's 5% bottles - and it was like throwing money away. Nothing dissolves in his 5%.

The Gardener

Reaction score
Good point, Old Baldy. Besides, if you have already tried it and got it to work, then that is proof enough.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
Good point, Old Baldy. Besides, if you have already tried it and got it to work, then that is proof enough.

You know Gardener, I think I got it to work. Was all the filler just that (i.e., filler)? Or was some of the filler actually crystalized minoxidil.? It didn't appear to be anything but filler but looking at it visually doesn't really answer your concerns.

Generic minoxidil. doesn't appear to crystalize when I add modest amounts of other stuff. That's the best I can do. I don't have testing equipment. Even if I did, I wouldn't know how to read the results! :lol:

The Gardener

Reaction score
What you say makes sense, OldBaldy. Now that I think about it, Rogaine or generic minoxidil is probably NOT at full saturation. They leave ample solubility in reserve to account for the various temperature differences and shelf life that a bottle of Rogaine might experience before the point of sale.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
lukey said:
... Furthermore, if anyone knows exactly how/ how much you would go about adding the azelaic acid i would greatly appreciate it. I live in the UK

Thanks

There's 2 things you can do . . .

1. buy a tube of the cream and apply a very thin layer about an hour or so before applying your minoxidil;

2. Joe Zix now sells az. acid through his website w/ a recipe on how to prepare and use it - again, prior to the minoxidil application.

http://www.advinfoprod.com/hair_loss_treatment_34.htm

He's charging you far more than what you'd pay from a reputable chemical supplier, and it's probably technical grade junk that you wouldn't apply to a hamster without wearing rubber gloves. Azelaic acid is an FDA-approved drug, and he could be punished severely by selling it for human use. While I am strongly opposed to our government regulations concerning drugs, his selling of azelaic acid is suggestive of questionable character.

Furthermore, he's an idiot.

Dave001

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
You can mix zinc sulphate with minoxidil. I've never had a problem with it. Never added B6 though. Never tried it. (You might want to ask Joe if he thinks zinc sulphate and minoxidil. is a good combination.)

Why? He's an idiot.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
testohate said:
Old Baldy said:
You can mix zinc sulphate with minoxidil. I've never had a problem with it. Never added B6 though. Never tried it. (You might want to ask Joe if he thinks zinc sulphate and minoxidil. is a good combination.)

hi Oldy

i can find zink sulphate capsule 220 mg
in fact , this capsule has 50 mg zink ( 220mg zink sulphate = 50 mg zink )
pls help me

1- How many zink sulphate capsule must be dissolved in one bottle minoxidil 5% ( 60 ml ) ?

2- 5 gram Azelaic acid powder adding ( dissollving ) in to the 100 Ml minoxidil solution 5% ( pre mixed ) , is this solution work ?

3- what do you thik about Constitute minoxidil solution with azelaic acid and zink sulphat ? they are work together , well ?

tanks :oops:

Testo: Here's where alot of guys get the recipe for zix.

http://www.advinfoprod.com/hair_loss_treatment_2.htm

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Dave001 said:
Old Baldy said:

Why? He's an idiot.

Dave!! Come on now!! :(

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
my friend
some study show , there is contrariety between Topicaly use zinc and Minoxidil , for example : advised don't use Minoxidil Whit head and shoulder pritiyon zinc 1% shampoo .

so now , i dont want to make some thing like as ZIX and another products who has zinc
i want to make minoxidil comprise Azelaic acid

pls tell me how can i do ?

i can find Azelaic acid powder , here

5 gram Azelaic acid powder adding ( dissollving ) in to the 100 Ml minoxidil solution 5% ( pre mixed ) , is this solution work ?
or
i should mix 5 gram AZ acid into the 100 Ml minoxidil solution 2% ( pre mixed ) ?

tanks for help

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
The only reason I'm reluctant to add it directly to the minoxidil is that Joe states that after a couple of days the Az solution added to his Zix formed a precipitate and rendered the whole batch useless. Not sure how it would do in minoxidil though, may be just fine.

per Joe . . . .

I think they have chemists that know how to mix things that normally are unmixable. We are not chemists. That's why I'm saying you should make a seperate solution only containing AA. Then apply them a few minutes apart. The AA is mixed in ethyl alcohol and dries in seconds. If you apply it first the longest you would have to wait is a minute or two before applying your minoxidil. Joe

alfonso2501

Established Member
Reaction score
Side stepping Dr. Lee and supercharging my own kirkland 5% with a little Azelaic acid is starting to intriguing me now. How do you guys measure out grams?

Dave001 said:
He's charging you far more than what you'd pay from a reputable chemical supplier, and it's probably technical grade junk that you wouldn't apply to a hamster without wearing rubber gloves. Azelaic acid is an FDA-approved drug, and he could be punished severely by selling it for human use. While I am strongly opposed to our government regulations concerning drugs, his selling of azelaic acid is suggestive of questionable character.

Furthermore, he's an idiot.
Dave, if this guy from advinfoprod is such a thief, would you please recommend another place, aside from Dr. Lee, to get it from?

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Update,

Az acid mixes very nicely with Rogaine. I had about half a bottle left so I added 1.5 grams to that. Took about 45 minutes to an hour but it all dissolved. Does not seem to effect drying time.

Mer

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
I reload my own bullets so I have a scale that measures "grains". Three grams for a normal 60ml mix would translate to 46.3 grains. 1.5 grams would be 23.15 grains.

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
Mer said:
I reload my own bullets so I have a scale that measures "grains". Three grams for a normal 60ml mix would translate to 46.3 grains. 1.5 grams would be 23.15 grains.

Im actually thinking of pre-packaging 3 gram baggies for sale if there's enough interest. Keep the guesswork out for everyone. One package per 60ml bottle of minoxidil.

again hi

finaly i add 3 gram AZ.acid in one bottle minoxidil 5% , but
when i use it , after drying , i feel my hair is a few sticky , in fact after drying my hair stick together
do you feel , like as my feel ?

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
If you get a lot in your hair it can make it feel sticky. It's taken me a few weeks to perfect my technique but I can now apply the minoxidil and keep my hair dry.

I draw up the correct amount in the dropper, tip it upside down and wipe it off with a tissue. When I apply I don't squeeze the bulb but rather use the dripper like a pen and draw zig zag lines across my scalp. The minoxidil will come out as needed and apply a really even coat. It eventuually spreads over the entire surface so there's no need to rub it in. My hair stays dry too.

Mer

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
i mix 3 gram Azaleic acid in one bottle of minoxidil 5% ( 60ml )
Az.acid dissolved in minoxidil solution very nice

minoxidil solution was colourless but when i dissolve az.acid in it
color of it change to yellow or perhaps orange
is it normal ?

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
where did you guys get your azelaic acid? from joe?

i guess mixing it to minoxidil is the best way for me too. i can't find ethly alcohol in my country. only fear is that it will destroy the minoxidil. well, no risk no gain.

Private Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
Dave001 said:
You can't find ethyl alcohol in your country? On what planet is your country?

i have been searching it for sometime and i can't find any pharmacy grade ethyl alcohol. i can only find those denatured ethyl alcohol which i doubt it safe for daily usage. it contain 95% ethyl alcohol and 5% methyl alcohol.

now i am looking for alcohol like Everclear. hope i can find those.

hey, i won't be surprise that i can't find it in my country. i come from a place that even chewing gum is ban.