Azelaic acid, and addition to minoxidil

lukey

Reaction score
Have started using xandrox15 (along with other things) and have been pleased with it so far. Have just finished the bottle and am not flush with money at the moment so was wondering if anyone knows anywhere to buy some azelaic acid that i could add to the kirkland minoxidil i already own? I know it would still be a different strength to the xandrox15, and the azelaic acid itself might not be giving any benefits but i would still like to use some sort cheaper copy/ substitute to use for the meantime just in case. Furthermore, if anyone knows exactly how/ how much you would go about adding the azelaic acid i would greatly appreciate it. I live in the UK

Thanks

Old Baldy

Reaction score
lukey said:
bump, anybody know how to go about adding azelaic acid to minoxidil?

Axelaic acid is fat soluble (i.e., alcohol and PPG are great to dissolve azelaic acid in). Just toss some in there and see if it dissolves for you. I bet it does. :wink: (It might take some time but that's ok.)

Just shake it up every time you use it and you should have AA and minoxidil. to put on your head.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
lukey said:
... Furthermore, if anyone knows exactly how/ how much you would go about adding the azelaic acid i would greatly appreciate it. I live in the UK

Thanks

There's 2 things you can do . . .

1. buy a tube of the cream and apply a very thin layer about an hour or so before applying your minoxidil;

2. Joe Zix now sells az. acid through his website w/ a recipe on how to prepare and use it - again, prior to the minoxidil application.

http://www.advinfoprod.com/hair_loss_treatment_34.htm

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Why prior and not afterwards? (I am not suggesting- I am asking)

I'm not the expert - but I think that the az acid on its own has some anti-dht properties - so perhaps it really wouldn't matter whether it goes on before or after.

Joe recommends using his az acid solution prior to applying zix - so I'd figure the same would hold true for a minoxidil application also.

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
2. Joe Zix now sells az. acid through his website w/ a recipe on how to prepare and use it - again, prior to the minoxidil application.

Something to try, this morinng I mixed 1ml of Rogaine and 1ml of Joe's azealic acid solution together. Applied them both at the same time and the added alcohol made the Rogaine dry in about 15 minutes. I don't think this would effect the Rogaine but if anyone knows differen please speak up.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
hair_tomorrow said:

Something to try, this morinng I mixed 1ml of Rogaine and 1ml of Joe's azealic acid solution together. Applied them both at the same time and the added alcohol made the Rogaine dry in about 15 minutes. I don't think this would effect the Rogaine but if anyone knows differen please speak up.

Y'know - I stopped short of suggesting that myself - but now that I think of it - it should work. Why not? Genhair and Dr. Lee add the az acid directly to minoxidil.

If I were to do it though - I think I just might add the az acid directly to the minoxidil - instead of making the az acid solution first and adding that to the minoxidil.

But that's just me - I'm a wild man. :)

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
The only reason I'm reluctant to add it directly to the minoxidil is that Joe states that after a couple of days the Az solution added to his Zix formed a precipitate and rendered the whole batch useless. Not sure how it would do in minoxidil though, may be just fine.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
The only reason I'm reluctant to add it directly to the minoxidil is that Joe states that after a couple of days the Az solution added to his Zix formed a precipitate and rendered the whole batch useless. Not sure how it would do in minoxidil though, may be just fine.

I'm thinking that because his solution calls to mix the az acid in ethyl alcohol - that you may be right - should be OK to mix up in minoxidil too as minoxidil uses alcohol as a base.

I guess if one wanted to try this - mixing up only 1 weeks' worth at a time might be a good place to start.

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'll pick up some Kirkland (4 for $19.95) minoxidil and experiment.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
Maybe I'll pick up some Kirkland (4 for $19.95) minoxidil and experiment.

LMK Mer - I'll give it a whirl too.

Hell - I might even go whole hog and mix up a batch of super zix

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
From "Old Baldy's" post here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 13&start=0

It seems like you could add the B-6 and Zinc right to the minoxidil making a standard batch of Zix (less the Saw Palmetto).

hmmmmmm - again, not the expert - but I've heard that zix and minoxidil shouldn't mix - . (don't ask me why not) - otherwise - Ozbrew would contain those zix ingrdients too.

Old Baldy is heralded as quite the inventor though - so who knows.

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all

dear friens , please tell me
finally
what do you think about this formula

" 5 gram Azelaic acid powder adding ( dissollving ) in to the 100 Ml minoxidil solution 5% ( pre mixed ) "

do you think it work ?

tanks

Old Baldy

Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
Mer said:
From "Old Baldy's" post here: http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... 13&start=0

It seems like you could add the B-6 and Zinc right to the minoxidil making a standard batch of Zix (less the Saw Palmetto).

hmmmmmm - again, not the expert - but I've heard that zix and minoxidil shouldn't mix - . (don't ask me why not) - otherwise - Ozbrew would contain those zix ingrdients too.

Old Baldy is heralded as quite the inventor though - so who knows.

You can mix zinc sulphate with minoxidil. I've never had a problem with it. Never added B6 though. Never tried it. (You might want to ask Joe if he thinks zinc sulphate and minoxidil. is a good combination.)

testohate

Established Member
Reaction score
Old Baldy said:
You can mix zinc sulphate with minoxidil. I've never had a problem with it. Never added B6 though. Never tried it. (You might want to ask Joe if he thinks zinc sulphate and minoxidil. is a good combination.)

hi Oldy

i can find zink sulphate capsule 220 mg
in fact , this capsule has 50 mg zink ( 220mg zink sulphate = 50 mg zink )
pls help me

1- How many zink sulphate capsule must be dissolved in one bottle minoxidil 5% ( 60 ml ) ?

2- 5 gram Azelaic acid powder adding ( dissollving ) in to the 100 Ml minoxidil solution 5% ( pre mixed ) , is this solution work ?

3- what do you thik about Constitute minoxidil solution with azelaic acid and zink sulphat ? they are work together , well ?

tanks :oops:

The Gardener

Reaction score
I believe that the standard 5% minoxidil formulation in an alcohol/PPG vehicle is as close to a fully saturated solution as can be kept stable at varying shelf temperatures. Adding another chemical to the mix might work on a very short term basis, but the minoxidil might start precipitating out in the following days.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
The Gardener said:
I believe that the standard 5% minoxidil formulation in an alcohol/PPG vehicle is as close to a fully saturated solution as can be kept stable at varying shelf temperatures. Adding another chemical to the mix might work on a very short term basis, but the minoxidil might start precipitating out in the following days.

That just hasn't happened to me Gardener. I don't go crazy with adding things all at once though. Right now, I mix Phenytoin with my minoxidil. at 1.5 percent with no precipitation problems. But like you say, maybe we should limit our additions to 2 percent?

I'm only talking about generic minoxidil. Gardener. You know, the stuff that has more PPG than Doctor Lee's

From what I've read about solubility of minoxidil. and other "medicines", I'd bet you're right when it comes to the low PPG minoxidil. Doctor Lee sells. I would guess that solution is probably at it's soluble "max.". But I really don't know.