Avoiding Wrinkles In The Lace... Damn It

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
This has been an issue ever since I started wearing.

Tape or glue, I ALWAYS wind up with a wrinkle when I attach the hair system.

I always go front to back, and I know the system is correct since I always dry fit first to make sure I made no mistakes shaving the edges.

I thought that now that I had short hair, it would be easier... it's NOT. I always wind up screwing it up. It's NEVER visible... but I can feel it... and it drives me nuts.

This is how I attach.

1. Permiter is taped, and a hairline tape is left in front, with the paper on.

2. After prep, I mark the front with a makeup pencil using the template with a T.

3. Using a large hand mirror that lies flat on the table, I grasp the unit with both hands, making sure it is inside out (there is quite the curve to it), on both sides of the edge of the hairline tape.

4. I line up the tape with the T, and then press the tapes on either side of it down, and start rolling back, and out, attempting to push back and out and down all the while.

5. When the back is done, I pull back the front, take off the paper liner, and do the hairline.

I always wind up with wrinkles in the lace in the back.

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This has been an issue ever since I started wearing.

Tape or glue, I ALWAYS wind up with a wrinkle when I attach the hair system.

I always go front to back, and I know the system is correct since I always dry fit first to make sure I made no mistakes shaving the edges.

I thought that now that I had short hair, it would be easier... it's NOT. I always wind up screwing it up. It's NEVER visible... but I can feel it... and it drives me nuts.

This is how I attach.

1. Permiter is taped, and a hairline tape is left in front, with the paper on.

2. After prep, I mark the front with a makeup pencil using the template with a T.

3. Using a large hand mirror that lies flat on the table, I grasp the unit with both hands, making sure it is inside out (there is quite the curve to it), on both sides of the edge of the hairline tape.

4. I line up the tape with the T, and then press the tapes on either side of it down, and start rolling back, and out, attempting to push back and out and down all the while.

5. When the back is done, I pull back the front, take off the paper liner, and do the hairline.

I always wind up with wrinkles in the lace in the back.
I had the same issue in the beginning because I was being too gentle. In order for me to correct that, l stretch the system a little bit and roll down from the front to back than press down hard from the top to the edge to make sure no crease and the wrinkles will disappear.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would it help if you spritz the tape with a little alcohol before you lay the system on your head? I do this with my skin system and it gives me around 30 seconds to move/stretch/align the system correctly before the glue eventually hardens into place.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the same issue in the beginning because I was being too gentle. In order for me to correct that, l stretch the system a little bit and roll down from the front to back than press down hard from the top to the edge to make sure no crease and the wrinkles will disappear.

I will try. I just did my first attachment on someone else (will write another thread on that, when I am not falling asleep), and there was not a single wrinkle... I guess I need to put some more umph into it!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would it help if you spritz the tape with a little alcohol before you lay the system on your head? I do this with my skin system and it gives me around 30 seconds to move/stretch/align the system correctly before the glue eventually hardens into place.

I may give that a shot! Thanks.

Noah

Reaction score
The spritz of alcohol definitely helps.

I actually put the system on in the middle first, and then do the front and back. I tape up the back and sides, but leave the backing paper on the tape, and just turn over one corner on each piece. Then I put two little bits of additional tape (a square centimetre each) on the piece, about the mid-point (over the top of my ears) about a centimetre in from the edge, one on each side. I do take the backing paper off those. Then I give my scalp and the two small pieces of tape a light spritz of alcohol, and put the piece on. Because of the alcohol and the small size of the bare pieces of tape, I am able to move the piece around until it is in the perfect position, and once it is, I can press down on the two pieces of tape, and they stick, anchoring the whole system. Then I remove the backing paper off the tape at the sides and back of the piece in stages - sides first, then back. The secret of avoiding wrinkles I find is to get exactly the right amount of tension in the base as you stick it down - it has to be taut, but not under tension, if that makes sense. When the back is down I mark where the hairline falls with my thumbnail, then flip up and clip up the front of the piece and apply the glue. Then, when it is dry, I unclip the front of the piece and lay it down, sides first, and lastly the very front. Again, the degree of tension is the crucial thing.

Maybe have a go at that and see if it helps?

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
The spritz of alcohol definitely helps.

I actually put the system on in the middle first, and then do the front and back. I tape up the back and sides, but leave the backing paper on the tape, and just turn over one corner on each piece. Then I put two little bits of additional tape (a square centimetre each) on the piece, about the mid-point (over the top of my ears) about a centimetre in from the edge, one on each side. I do take the backing paper off those. Then I give my scalp and the two small pieces of tape a light spritz of alcohol, and put the piece on. Because of the alcohol and the small size of the bare pieces of tape, I am able to move the piece around until it is in the perfect position, and once it is, I can press down on the two pieces of tape, and they stick, anchoring the whole system. Then I remove the backing paper off the tape at the sides and back of the piece in stages - sides first, then back. The secret of avoiding wrinkles I find is to get exactly the right amount of tension in the base as you stick it down - it has to be taut, but not under tension, if that makes sense. When the back is down I mark where the hairline falls with my thumbnail, then flip up and clip up the front of the piece and apply the glue. Then, when it is dry, I unclip the front of the piece and lay it down, sides first, and lastly the very front. Again, the degree of tension is the crucial thing.

Maybe have a go at that and see if it helps?

Noah

YES!

Perfect attachment! My first, really, no wrinkle, perfectly aligned now I can really get a hight fade, attachment. Also, I was putting a safety strip down the middle... that was messing me up. I just put a square of sunshine tape in the dead center.... a quirt of alcohol... did back, and then the front.

What is totally ironic... I did an attachment two days ago, and it was PERFECT, aligned, no wrinkles, etc. Easier to work on another head than your own!

Where do I send the cheque?

I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah I will always listen to Noah, I will always listen to Noah!

Last edited:

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Glad you managed to iron out your problem, arf arf arf!

Noah God bless you lol!

I just did my first full service at home. Full removal, cleanup and reinstall and I think it's come out excellent so far. Especially for the first try. I'm jut waiting for front glue to dry before sealing the deal on this bad boy haha.

Will update with result. But so far looks good thank you very much for the instructions they work great.