Avodart Success after only 4 months and how I did it.

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
UPDATES TO THIS ON PAGE 2

I started losing my hair when I was 17 or 18 (receding hairline, thin on top) so I got on finasteride when I was 21 or 22 (I forget) and took it until I was 29 (30 now). Although I believe it slowed my hairloss down greatly I was very slowly losing the battle.

I looked online and read about avodart and decided to swap out finasteride and start Avodart while changing no other variables so I can see if it's working. Started off the first 10 days taking 3 avodart a day based on this chart:

dutas_analysis.jpg

and the information I read on this site: http://www.regrowshair.com/non-surgical- ... ng-charts/

In summary it shows that by taking 3 a day for the first 10 days and then moving to 1 a day (.5) on the 11th day and every day after, you can block the most DHT the fastest. Just taking .5 a day from the start and you'll have to wait a good 4 months to get to the DHT blocking power I was getting after 10 days.

I believe that I started shedding a bit after two weeks into it, but if I did (hard to tell because I keep my hair short anyway) it was hardly noticeible. After about 2 months I started seeing my hairline slightly start to grow in and my girlfriend told me she noticed the top of my head seemed thicker.

At this point I'm 4 months into it and I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt my hairline is coming back in and my hair on top is thicker. I have changed no other variables other than switching from finasteride to Avodart and check my hair and hairline every time I look in the mirror (what can I say, I'm emotionally compulsive about it).

As for side effects it's really hard to say. I know for sure that immediately after I started taking it I felt pain in my joints. I didn't even know that was a side effect, I just looked it up and saw that it was so it wasn't my mind playing tricks. That continued for four days (was tolerable) and has never returned. Right now I don't have anything blatant going on but I slightly suspect it's made me a calmer person. Stuff that used to irritate the piss out of me no longer does, I just think "who cares". I still do very well at work and can concentrate and come up with good ideas just like before...

Because I'm 4 months into it I'm going to keep a very close eye on side effects and progress as I know things could change but I suspect they won't because I immediately got my DHT supression levels up to where side effects would start showing but we'll keep an open mind.

As of now I would highly recommend trying Avodart at 3 pills a day for the first ten days then moving to 1 pill a day. It will give you a good idea of what to expect by the second month without having to wait a long time to see if it's right for you.

I hope that helps; I'm open for questions if you like.

thenational

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont claim to know all there is abut hormone balance, but surely that must have been a huge shock to your body, maybe even permanently?

I appreciate you sharing your good news with everbody, but pictures would be a great addition as i find it hard to believe any persons success without actual evidence.

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hi mate, come back hopefully and give us some more details!
sounds promising

JWM

Reaction score
Timi, change the f#cking record man. We get it, dutasteride ruined your hair. Move on.

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
The chart is controversial, to say the least. In your case it was effective, others may find that regimen ineffective or even unbearable. I admire your guts but I would never take 3 pills a day!

Anyway, congratulations on your success. Avodart success stories don't seem to be that many, so I'm happy it worked for you.

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
Update! So I’ve been religiously checking myself for any signs of side effects and recently felt a little extra tissue behind my nipple. It definitely wasn’t there before so I have good reason to believe it’s from the Avodart. I’ve discontinued avodart and am now squirting 10 avodart into a months supply or minoxidil and applying topically. I am using this along with a derma roller for better absorbption. I’m going to take monthly pictures to monitor the progress and see how it goes. I’m really disappointed because the gains I am getting are outstanding…I’m actually considering just continuing and having surgery to remove man-boobs if they get too big (right now it’s not even noticeable, for all I know it could stop right here and never get larger).

Some people have no side effects with Avodart even after 8 years, but I’m not one of them ? Oh well, we’ll hope for the best with this topical solution. More updates to come.

Jack

Reaction score
Timi said:
it is funnyin our Board 50Men take Dutall have lost Lots of hairFront Destroyed and thinnig all over the Head

I know the german hairloss forum you're refering to , and there are only like 3-5 dutasteride users in total , with you beeing one of them and they love to sh*t all over dutasteride because they didn't have success .....
Well that certainly didn't stop me from using dutasteride and i'm glad I didn't let those few fear mongers get into my head lol !!
If you are talking about HairLossTalk.com , the dutasteride results on here are much better , still not a broad sample size though (not even 50 IMO).

T

Timi

Jack said:
Timi said:
it is funnyin our Board 50Men take Dutall have lost Lots of hairFront Destroyed and thinnig all over the Head

I know the german hairloss forum you're refering to , and there are only like 3-5 dutasteride users in total , with you beeing one of them and they love to sh*t all over dutasteride because they didn't have success .....
Well that certainly didn't stop me from using dutasteride and i'm glad I didn't let those few fear mongers get into my head lol !!
If you are talking about HairLossTalk.com , the dutasteride results on here are much better , still not a broad sample size though (not even 50 IMO).

or is it minoxidil for the most Men destroyed the Hair
and not dutasteride???
i am not 100% sure

Timi

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
Long Update: so I said that I was going to do topical Avodart because I was getting sides with avodart after 4 months, here's the results and where I am now.

I was taking 10 official Avodart namebrand pills and squeezing them into minoxidil 5% bottles. It would last me around a month. I discontinued the oral dosage of Avodart.

After 3 - 4 weeks of being off of any type of oral med (finasteride or avodart) and applying 5% minoxidil with 10 Avodarts squeezed into the bottle I started seeing my hairline descrease (slightly) and noticed the overall appearance of my hair looking thinner. I continued to stay on the topical Avodart to be sure of what I was seeing. The observers were my girlfriend (lives with me) and me. We would look closely at it every day in the same spots with the same lighting. It continued to appear thinner while on topical Avodart and never showed any signs of stopping after being on it for 2-3 months.

I can also tell you that while I was on Avodart orally, after the first 2 1/2 months every time I would dry my hair with a towel I would count the hairs (after 3 seconds of vigorous drying each time). While on Avodart orally I would count no more than 4 hairs each time.

After I stopped taking Avodart orally and went to the topical solution, in about 3-4 weeks I started noticing more than 12 hairs on the towel each time I would dry it vigorously with the same test for three seconds.

After 2-3 months of being off of Avodart orally I am now back on it. I went to the dr. and he said that I did not have any form of gyno. He did say that I had swelling of my glands in that area which would explain why I perceived it as gyno starting to form.

Interesting enough, after only being on Avodart for around 3 weeks now, I am starting to see my hair appear to be thicker (not as thick as it was but getting there). I'm starting to think that just as shampoo can make your hair look different, the presence of DHT int he follicle can also make your hair look unhealthy/thinner. I don't mean it can make it fall out (of course it does that) but it actually makes it look worse..otherwise how could I see such an improvement so quickly? Removing DHT from your follicle makes your hair look much healthier even before it grows it back / increases the diameter in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm back on Avodart (did three a day for 10 days to get my levels back up and am now back to 1 a day) and will continue to try and give updates. Right now I have no side affects that I'm aware of (although my glands have begun to swell, which actually makes my chest look more muscular [I already work out so that helps])

until next time

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated. I'll be watching this story, curious to see the results again. Good luck.

amsch

Reaction score
Your breasts enlarged in such a short time, and you're still taking this?

Working out is a solution if you stopped the drugs, but won't help long-term against that problem.

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
amsch said:
Your breasts enlarged in such a short time, and you're still taking this?

Working out is a solution if you stopped the drugs, but won't help long-term against that problem.

Yes, I've had slight swelling and my nips are slightly more poofy but it's not even close to bad enough that I feel I should stop. It's very minor. If it continues to worsen I may discontinue or lower the dose but as for now growing back lots of hair and having only very minor swelling with no signs of gyno as per diagnosis by my Dr. is an acceptable trade-off.

TwoHairsLeft

Reaction score
UPDATE: So I went back onto avodart taking one pill every day and suspicious that it was affecting my mood and concentration. It was so hard to put my finger on it because the change was gradual, but after being on Avodart for several months I started noticing that I was less outgoing, I couldn't concentrate correctly...I could concentrate but not crisp like I should be able to and I couldn't make people laugh like I always used to be able to because honestly I couldn't think of anything to say and actually didn't feel like responding to anything people said either.

So I'm back off avodart. After being off of avodart for just one week I can clearly see, beyond a shadow of a doubt how much it was effecting my concentration, memory, mood, outgoing-ness, humor....everything. I know that it's said the drug stays in your body for 6 months, but I am absolutely positive I already notice a difference. I'm a very scientific person, I don't like to say things unless I'm sure and I can tell you that I am 100% positive this drug is/was affecting my mental state as far as concentration and wit and memory is concerned.

I'm done with the drugs, I'm going to try and get as many topicals as I possibly can to maintain the hair I've grown with Avodart and if I lose it all then I don't give a sh*t, I'd rather be bald and living life than a stupid maniquin with hair.

If you're taking avodart or thinking about taking it, don't think that you'll know when it affects you. It's very hard to spot, it creeps up on you as subtle as the regrowth of your hair, you don't see it all happen suddenly but over a long period of time you can see it. Don't do it.

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
Do any of you guys know if the rule of taking 3 pills a day of Avodart applys to Finasteride too? I mean, the faster suppression of DHT.

@OP

Use a topical Anti-DHT. That's the most effective "replacement" for finasteride/dutasteride, although it's far to be as effective :(

dougfunny

Established Member
Reaction score
TwoHairsLeft said:
So I'm back off avodart. After being off of avodart for just one week I can clearly see, beyond a shadow of a doubt how much it was effecting my concentration, memory, mood, outgoing-ness, humor....everything.
*cough* placebo *cough*

But seriously I am glad you are better.

Do any of you guys know if the rule of taking 3 pills a day of Avodart applys to Finasteride too? I mean, the faster suppression of DHT.

According the chart on the first post, the answer is no.

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't want to be an a**hole and tell you what to feel about his or that. I've never tried dutasteride, and I've never had any bad side effects from finasteride. So obviously I've never been in your shoes.

But there are two things that make me worry about your account:

1. Why haven't you tried lowering your dosage? I believe some people have had success with 3 pills a week.

2. It seems that you're seeing very quick results everywhere you look. For instance, you say your hair looked better after a week or so of dutasteride. Then you said all your sides went away after a week of discontinuation. Plus these sides that you mention (your emotional states, your line of thought, etc) are very, very subjective matters. I'm not saying that you're completely wrong. But I just feel that there's a lot of room here for error.