avodart is poor

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
Thanks for the misinformation buddy. The dht inhbition rates in the hair follicle are as follows:

1mg finasteride = 85 percent
5mg finasteride = 90 percent
.5mg dutasteride = 98.5 percent

I wish we would all be more cautious about throwing those numbers around. Using them to predict levels of inhibition within "the hair follicle" itself could be fraught with various difficulties and confounding factors...

G

Bryan said:
Thanks for the misinformation buddy. The dht inhbition rates in the hair follicle are as follows:

1mg finasteride = 85 percent
5mg finasteride = 90 percent
.5mg dutasteride = 98.5 percent

I wish we would all be more cautious about throwing those numbers around. Using them to predict levels of inhibition within "the hair follicle" itself could be fraught with various difficulties and confounding factors...

bryan,

i thought you said that there was no reason to believe that the follicular inhibition percentages differed much from the percentages outside the follicle?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Bryan...Im giving the info. that you have spouted off many times before. that is all.

Yes, I've used those same (or similar) numbers before, but YOU added something else that makes me very queezy: you specifically said that they refer to inhibition rates IN THE HAIR FOLLICLE.

I've often cited that study by Happle and Hoffmann about how "Finasteride is the main inhibitor within dermal papillae...", but what about other parts of the follicle? What if there are indeed significant amounts of the type 1 enzyme within the inner or outer root sheath, as some studies have found? That would make those stated inhibition figures inaccurate, if you're talking specifically about the ENTIRE HAIR FOLLICLE.

Those numbers you quoted are from the Gisleskog et al studies, and are based on BODY-WIDE measurements of DHT production, and calculations and estimates of inhibition levels of the two specific enzymes. When we start talking about something as tiny as a hair follicle, we better be very cautious about using those same numbers in that context, especially when different studies have given different results about which enzymes are in which parts of the follicle. All of this is still very much a gray area, and still very controversial.

Bryan

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Bryan...Im giving the info. that you have spouted off many times before. that is all.

Yes, I've used those same (or similar) numbers before, but YOU added something else that makes me very queezy: you specifically said that they refer to inhibition rates IN THE HAIR FOLLICLE.

I've often cited that study by Happle and Hoffmann about how "Finasteride is the main inhibitor within dermal papillae...", but what about other parts of the follicle? What if there are indeed significant amounts of the type 1 enzyme within the inner or outer root sheath, as some studies have found? That would make those stated inhibition figures inaccurate, if you're talking specifically about the ENTIRE HAIR FOLLICLE.

Those numbers you quoted are from the Gisleskog et al studies, and are based on BODY-WIDE measurements of DHT production, and calculations and estimates of inhibition levels of the two specific enzymes. When we start talking about something as tiny as a hair follicle, we better be very cautious about using those same numbers in that context, especially when different studies have given different results about which enzymes are in which parts of the follicle. All of this is still very much a gray area, and still very controversial.

Bryan

Oh, okay. It is my mistake then, I guess i misunderstood your post. So the numbers I gave refer to the dht in the dermal papillae? according to Happle and Hoffman?

I know the serum dht inhibition is much lower than the figures i posted.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, okay. It is my mistake then, I guess i misunderstood your post.

I'll add one more thing to what I said before: if you go back and check all the posts where I made references to the same (or similar) numbers that you used above, you'll find that it was ALWAYS (I'm pretty sure) a statement similar to the following:

"Dutasteride at the standard dose of 0.5 mg/day inhibits the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme by around 98%-99%."

See what I'm saying? I would be too cautious (perhaps paranoid would be an even better word! :D ) to try to extend that to anything more specific than just a BODY-WIDE inhibition figure, and certainly not to something as tiny and relatively un-studied as a hair follicle. Not until scientists have done a LOT more testing on the various sub-structures of hair follicles, and have reached a solid consensus on EXACTLY to what degree drugs like finasteride and dutasteride affect them.

So the numbers I gave refer to the dht in the dermal papillae? according to Happle and Hoffman?

Yeah. PRESUMABLY. (I'm STILL being cautious, even about that! :) )

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Bryan said:
Oh, okay. It is my mistake then, I guess i misunderstood your post.

I'll add one more thing to what I said before: if you go back and check all the posts where I made references to the same (or similar) numbers that you used above, you'll find that it was ALWAYS (I'm pretty sure) a statement similar to the following:

"Dutasteride at the standard dose of 0.5 mg/day inhibits the 5a-reductase type 2 enzyme by around 98%-99%."

See what I'm saying? I would be too cautious (perhaps paranoid would be an even better word! :D ) to try to extend that to anything more specific than just a BODY-WIDE inhibition figure, and certainly not to something as tiny and relatively un-studied as a hair follicle. Not until scientists have done a LOT more testing on the various sub-structures of hair follicles, and have reached a solid consensus on EXACTLY to what degree drugs like finasteride and dutasteride affect them.

[quote="hair today gone tomorrow":a0c7e]So the numbers I gave refer to the dht in the dermal papillae? according to Happle and Hoffman?

Yeah. PRESUMABLY. (I'm STILL being cautious, even about that! :) )[/quote:a0c7e]

Ok, but BODYWISE does 1mg of finasteride only inhibit somewhere around 60% of DHT?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure, it reduces serum DHT by about that much.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:

Bryan

You scare me and make me want to double my dutas dosage.

plusryan

Established Member
Reaction score
You're a certified BALLURR when you take duh Dutas. Period.......

*shows gangster sign of the dutasteride pact*