Attaching the hair system oneself. How to? Advise please!

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello! I'm with my 03 mm poly hair unit a little over a month and so far have been helped by my brother when attaching it after the 2 week cleaning (twice so far). I would love to learn attaching it myself, without anyone by my side. I have watched some YouTube videos on how to do it, but those people just get in front of a mirrow, smack it on their head starting with the hairline and then just roll it backwards. I have tried it without glue or tapes but have been always really off.

Does anyone have any specific technique to accomplish this? Or better yet, a detailed YouTube video?
I have been thinking about buying a tripod, putting my cellphone in it, placing it behind me and doing the attachment in front of my computer and watching the back of my head while starting the attachment from the back (so far have done it from the hairline).

PS:
I use tapes around the whole perimeter applied to the unit first.
As I mentioned here, my unit has shrunk a bit, meaning that I have to stretch it slightly when attaching.

Thanks!

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Tape on thin skin that thin is risk of tearing the ultra thin poly base when you remove it.
Unless you use backing tape such as Walker Sensi Tak(red backing) before the strong tape.
Glue such as Ghost Bond is safer on 0.3mm thin skin.

I don't wear an entire poly base, they don't breathe and cause me severe itching.
I much prefer lace that is breathable.
Currently I have a lace hybrid base with a 1 inch approx poly perimeter but I want a full lace base soon.

Eye pencil and your template is your best bet where to put the hair system correctly.
Or screw your face up and make a mark with the eye pencil where the hair system should go at the top of the last wrinkle at the top of your forehead.
It's definitely easier using your template and eye pencil.

Noah

Reaction score
Here is my attachment technique.

Basically I put the tape on the back and sides of the hairpiece. Then I place the hairpiece in perfect position and anchor it with 2 small pieces of tape. Then I pull the backing paper off the rest of the tape and stick the back and sides. Then I glue the front. Here is the method in more detail:

First, I put the tape on the back and sides of the hairpiece, leaving the backing paper on, but I fold over a corner of the backing paper on each bit of tape.

I also put 2 small pieces of tape (about 1 square centimetre), one on each side of the piece, about the middle of the sides and 2 centimetres from the edge. I take the backing paper off those 2 small piece, and give them a spray of alcohol.

I then put the hairpiece on my head and move it into perfect position - no gaps or overlaps. The alcohol stops the adhesive on the 2 small pieces of tape from sticking immediately, and gives me a few seconds to move the piece around. When I get the perfect position, I press down on the two small pieces of tape and stick them into place. They then anchor the whole hairpiece.

I then flip up the back, pull off the backing paper on the tape, and stick it down - sides first, and then the back.

I hold down the front of the hairpiece with one hand, and mark the position of the hairline by digging marks into my forehead with the thumbnail of the other hand.

I then flip the front up and clip it out of the way.

I apply a layer of glue using the thumbnail marks as a guide; dry it with a hairdryer, and repeat. Then I spritz the glued area with alcohol, and bring down the hairpiece hairline and apply it onto the glue - middle of the hairline first, and then the sides. Then I press the hairline firmly into the glue with the teeth of a comb held sideways.

Done!

kashmoney

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve found that once you get the hairline in the right position, getting the rest of the piece on is easy. What I do is without any adhesive or anything, I’ll just do a trial of putting it on my head to get the positioning down. Luckily, my natural hairline is still somewhat intact so that’s my marker but you could use a makeup pencil to mark where the hairline goes. Then I’ll put Bobby pins on the hair at the front of the system to keep the hair up which makes it so much easier to see where you’re positioning the system. Put on the tape and everything on the system when it’s on a mannequin head. Before I attach onto my head, I’ll spray some walker’s just rite positioning spray onto the tape. It’s basically just alcohol that temporarily deactivates the tape so you have a few seconds to position the system on your head before the tape adhesive activates

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tape on thin skin that thin is risk of tearing the ultra thin poly base when you remove it.
Unless you use backing tape such as Walker Sensi Tak(red backing) before the strong tape.
Glue such as Ghost Bond is safer on 0.3mm thin skin.
You are wide off the mark with the risk of tearing. I have a special technique wherein I put the unit after detaching into a bowl of filtered water over night and then I just slowly and nicely peel off the tape. I must not forget to condition the unit before putting into the bowl, though.

Eye pencil and your template is your best bet where to put the hair system correctly.
Or screw your face up and make a mark with the eye pencil where the hair system should go at the top of the last wrinkle at the top of your forehead.
It's definitely easier using your template and eye pencil.
I understand what you mean. I have a template but it would still be difficult to get the position right, even with the line marked by the eye pencil because I can't see properly when putting it on my head as the hair overhanging from the unit blocks my vision.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
SO! I managed to attach the hair system myself, BUT! I have a crease on the hairline. I started putting the hair system from the back of the head, then I attached the side and what was left I used and stretched it to fit onto my forehead right before where I had marked a line, but somehow the crease appeared. I can live with it because I usually wear unexposed hairline. When it comes to the sides and the back I think I got the position perfect! I also had to spray my hands with isopropyl alcohol just to be safe.
Anyway, I'm still open to advice and YouTube videos!

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You are wide off the mark with the risk of tearing. I have a special technique wherein I put the unit after detaching into a bowl of filtered water over night and then I just slowly and nicely peel off the tape. I must not forget to condition the unit before putting into the bowl, though.

I understand what you mean. I have a template but it would still be difficult to get the position right, even with the line marked by the eye pencil because I can't see properly when putting it on my head as the hair overhanging from the unit blocks my vision.
Clip the hair back then with hair clips.

yomama69

My Regimen
Reaction score
Clip the hair back then with hair clips.
I would totally do that, but what type of hair clips would you recommend? I only have these and I'm worried they may be too heavy and pull on the hair eventually leading to shedding.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 13.19.39.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 13.19.39.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 95

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
SO! I managed to attach the hair system myself, BUT! I have a crease on the hairline. I started putting the hair system from the back of the head, then I attached the side and what was left I used and stretched it to fit onto my forehead right before where I had marked a line, but somehow the crease appeared. I can live with it because I usually wear unexposed hairline. When it comes to the sides and the back I think I got the position perfect! I also had to spray my hands with isopropyl alcohol just to be safe.
Anyway, I'm still open to advice and YouTube videos!
I always suggest going from front to back. The hairline is the most critical thing. The back is the is the area you can easily cover a mishap.

If you're a couple of millimeters off, on their hair line, It's very noticeable. However you could be off a a quarter inch plus, on the back, and no one would be the wiser.

There is 0 benefit from starting in the back....all negatives....

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I always suggest going from front to back. The hairline is the most critical thing. The back is the is the area you can easily cover a mishap.

If you're a couple of millimeters off, on their hair line, It's very noticeable. However you could be off a a quarter inch plus, on the back, and no one would be the wiser.

There is 0 benefit from starting in the back....all negatives....
This is how the professionals do it!

yurguardianangel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would totally do that, but what type of hair clips would you recommend? I only have these and I'm worried they may be too heavy and pull on the hair eventually leading to shedding.
Not that kind.
A plastic hair clip that women usually use.