At What Age Are You Somewhat "safe"?

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bam Margera's family has great hair genes. Just saw a recent photo and its thinning quite badly, especially considering he was a strong NW1 not long ago.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
Karl Alvarez (Descedents/ALL bass player) had zero hair loss until his late 40s. Then he went NW2 and suddenly went full bald in less than a year. Now he just shaves it. Very odd case.

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think if you are still Norwood 1 by age 35 you are safe from getting severe balding. All people who reach Norwood 5,6 or 7 are at least Norwood 2 by 35,40. You are not safe from moderate to extensive hair loss though. Many people stay Norwood 1 on the front, but lose hair on the crown. People who are Norwood 0 are the ones who have zero change from their juvenile hairline. There are very few people. They never lose hair and it stays like this till the day they die.
Kinda disagree on this. My uncle had perfect thick hair and now diffusing into NW5 territory with his hairline still in tack (similar to female patterned hair loss) within a few years. He is 37 now I believe.

Hair_Cook

My Regimen
Reaction score
95 % of the time the cases over 35 means there will be no balding maybe just recession. However they might draw the unlocky card and lose their hair. There are many cases. But if someone become 50 without balding he can be mostly assured he wont be bald in his remaining years.

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
95 % of the time the cases over 35 means there will be no balding maybe just recession. However they might draw the unlocky card and lose their hair. There are many cases. But if someone become 50 without balding he can be mostly assured he wont be bald in his remaining years.

Ita very hard to say. 50 and above usually results in diffuse thinning (youre lucky if temples and hairline still intact) or few norwoods down (nw1 to 3).

Ive seen a lot of people has that. My grandfather hairline and temples are still nw1/2 territory but you can pretty much see his scalp from most angles.

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you make it to 40 with decent hair, you’re probably pretty safe.

My doctor said most men who go clean bald are typically obviously balding by age 30, but I have a lot of men in my family who had ok hair at 30, but were totally screwed by 40 so idk.

Last edited:

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For years people would say if make it to 30 with only minimal obvious thinning you will be good for life..,,definitely not the case reading this thread.

Last edited:

Bora

My Regimen
Reaction score
I reckon mid or late 30's. It's not a scentific assumption though but I feel like you won't be considering about your hair loss that much, you'll accept the situation and most of the males around you would have lost their hair as well, most of them are Norwood 4 in the best case scenario, so it is normal. Probably you've already established your life and career, you are experienced enough, you have a profession, probably you have a wife and perhaps you have child/children. So psychial apperance is nothing to you.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
For years people would say if make it to 30 with only minimal obvious thinning you will be good for life..,,definitely not the case reading this thread.
People are mixing up two different things. No one is safe per se, but hair loss does indeed slow down, but its not about your age, its about how much hair you have already lost. Hair loss tends to slow down around NW3-5 for a lot of guys, and not pick up steam again until the elderly years.

I reckon mid or late 30's. It's not a scentific assumption though but I feel like you won't be considering about your hair loss that much, you'll accept the situation and most of the males around you would have lost their hair as well, most of them are Norwood 4 in the best case scenario, so it is normal. Probably you've already established your life and career, you are experienced enough, you have a profession, probably you have a wife and perhaps you have child/children. So psychial apperance is nothing to you.
And this is where the hair loss community has done a disservice. Men should be concentrating on getting their lives established before balding becomes obvious, not putting their lives on hold debating hair transplants and watching their hair loss meds not work.

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You either die a fullhead, or live long enough to become the bald guy.

bluecyclone

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the real negative is that some genetics seem to overwhelm the ‘proven’ treatments. I was in denial, thought it was thyroid related for year or so. But when I started Propecia and still lost is when it became unbearable

TDE97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think the real negative is that some genetics seem to overwhelm the ‘proven’ treatments. I was in denial, thought it was thyroid related for year or so. But when I started Propecia and still lost is when it became unbearable
Have you tried Rob's Perfect Hair Health forum? Not to promote him, but since you haven't been in luck with any sorts of meds. There is a possibility that there is another disease that is damaging your hair.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
My uncle, who was a norwood 2 from his 30's to age 65. No change, didnt look like he'd ever suffer anything remotely problematic.

At age 65 his hairline completely bailed on him. Almost like a frontal shed over the period of a year.

Heres the kicker: dude totally freaked out even at his age.

He had beaten the odds completely, and his wife told me he was completely going nuts, thinking his life was over,
and he was already retired, married, and still considered a norwood 3.
Top this off with that is the age when ED manifests, so you then become hairless and dic*less. Now what does life mean to you?

Ausgebombt

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Top this off with that is the age when ED manifests, so you then become hairless and dic*less. Now what does life mean to you?

If your hair is already gone, just get on TRT and feel 20 until you die. ED and libido issues are pretty treatable these days if you don’t care about hair.