At a crossroads and need some advice

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m currently weighing up my options re:stylists and suppliers. I have been happily using a stylist for a few years who has until recently been amazing. However, he has recently been supplying me with poorly constructed systems. They have rarely lasted two months and often have defects that render them useless after a couple of weeks.

I went to see a new a new company, and the guy looked at my current unit and said the hair was obviously processed and coloured. He said their systems were much better, but quoted me three times the price.

So my question is: is it worth paying the extra; will it mean a better quality system and savings in the long run? Or is it all just a sales pitch?
would appreciate any insight that any of you can offer.

TIA

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
I should mention that my current stylist has always replaced the defective systems.

Noah

Reaction score
Virtually all systems are made with hair that had been processed and coloured, so if he is suggesting otherwise that is just a bit of sales puff. But there are differences between different suppliers in the quality of the hair they use, the quality of the base material and the workmanship with which it's put together, like the seams and the knitting. So there could be substance to the claim. I think perhaps I would ask him to spell out in detail exactly what the differences are between what he's selling and what you're currently wearing. You can't really evaluate the difference in hair quality when the unit is brand new and has silicone on it, but you should be able to see and evaluate the other improvements, if any.

Three times the price is a lot, and frankly I am doubtful. What figures are we talking about?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One supplier bad talking another reminds me of builders head shaking at the work of someone else. Unsurprising.
Without seeing examples before and after a few months its impossible to know from this distance.
Quality can vary widely between suppliers and within suppliers - my understanding is often orders are given to individual people to make and skills are not all equality nor the hair supplied at that time.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Virtually all systems are made with hair that had been processed and coloured, so if he is suggesting otherwise that is just a bit of sales puff. But there are differences between different suppliers in the quality of the hair they use, the quality of the base material and the workmanship with which it's put together, like the seams and the knitting. So there could be substance to the claim. I think perhaps I would ask him to spell out in detail exactly what the differences are between what he's selling and what you're currently wearing. You can't really evaluate the difference in hair quality when the unit is brand new and has silicone on it, but you should be able to see and evaluate the other improvements, if any.

Three times the price is a lot, and frankly I am doubtful. What figures are we talking about?
Its £1200. It’s a lot. I’m skeptical as well, but they say that they have a workshop in the building and do repair work if needed, which perhaps prolongs the life of the piece.

He was adamant that mine was chemically treated, and alluded to the fact there was something missing from the hairs that wasn’t on their ones (can’t remember what).

I’m bored of having a nice system for a couple of weeks then just waiting out the next few watching it fall apart. At the same time though, I share your view that it’s a bit suspect. There is a 3 month warranty though, which is longer than I get out of my pieces atm so perhaps it could be worth trying once.

Noah

Reaction score
For that sort of money I would ask to see some actual hairpieces and ideally some actual customers in the flesh to see what extra you're getting.

AxC123

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And how much are you paying for your current pieces now? 1200 pounds is a lot. Possibly review how you maintain your current pieces, sometimes, simple and inexpensive products revive hair, such as sunscreen leavein conditioners, silicone, etc..

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
How come I don't hear black women complaining about the quality of their lacefronts and weaves etc? I wonder if they're just sticking it to toupee wearers by giving them sh*t

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
And how much are you paying for your current pieces now? 1200 pounds is a lot. Possibly review how you maintain your current pieces, sometimes, simple and inexpensive products revive hair, such as sunscreen leavein conditioners, silicone, etc..
Have you tried silicone mix? I've heard it's good but never purchased.

Hair2019

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes. Helps restore dull hair. I use

Isn't is ridiculous how to they've written 'wig shine' in big letters on the bottle?! That would give the game away if you had that displayed in your bathroom and someone sees it. Thumbs down to the manufacturer there. Most other hair system products have discrete packaging, not mentioning the term 'wig' or 'hair system' etc.