Article: male pattern baldness Triggered by Sebum Flow

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
fnarr said:
Hi Guys,

I think we all need to be careful about over-interpreting baldness in an evolutionary context. I'm an evolutionary biologist (final year PhD at a leading UK university), so I'm going to try and clarify a few things. I'm not trying to patronise or anything, just inform the discussion a little better.

First we need to establish the principal that unless something hampers or improves your ability to reproduce it will not be selected against or for in a population. A classic example is the inherited nueromuscular disease Huntington's. This is a tragic and always fatal degenerative condition that renders suffers tiotally unable to care for themselves. The worst thing about it however, is that symptoms do not present themselves unitl those with the mutation are in their forties and fifties - crucially AFTER most people have had children, so they often pass the mutation on. So despite the fact that this is a universally fatal condition, it is often not selected against.

Likewise heart disease. Typicaly it doesn't show up until our forties and fifties, after we've reproduced, so it is not being selected against and genetic predispostions will remain in the population.

The chance that increased baldness rates have something to do with global warming are literally zero. Natural selection does not work that quickly. If there is indeed an increased number of bald men around it MUST be environmental factors such as increased consumption of red meat, pollution, whatever. The frequency of 'baldness genes' in the population cannot have changed significantly.

The fact that baldness is present in all human populations suggests that it is also selectively neutral; it's never been selected against to disappear. That is to say that all esle being equal, bald people, or people who go on to become bald are just as likely to pass their genes on to the next generation as people with a full head of hair into their eighties. Baldness and heart disease may indeed be linked somehow, but that doesn't stop them being passed on.

This begs the question: why do different ethnic groups show different baldness rates? If we accept that baldness is effectively selectively neutral, then the fact that Europeans have high baldness rates is not of adaptive significance. So variation is likely down to random genetic drift and what is known as a 'founder effect'. Founder effects happen when a population goes through a 'bottleneck', for example the colonisation of Europe out of Africa, which from studies of mitochondrial and Y chromosome DNA has been shown to have probably been by a small group. Say this group had 10 males, five of whom were bald/balding, even thousands of years later we a feeling the effects of that. Likwise, a group that crossed the Bering straight to Canada may have had no bald men, so baldness in today's eskimo population is very rare.

Further to this, if baldness were an evolutionary response, then it does not make sense that

1. women do not develop it
2. children have full heads of hair

The second point is particularly telling - vitamin D's primary target is bones (deficiency causes rickets), growing children require a large amount, so if being bald is a response to needing more, it would have been selected to develop younger.

A couple of small points now, perhaps pedantic; firstly, to describe a hair follicle as an organism is not really useful or correct, particularly in an evolutionary context. The cells that go make up our hair follicles contain all the same genetic information as each other, and for that matter the same genetic information as the cells in our brain, liver, or any other cell (except our sperm, but that's another story). Secondly, human hair evolved from mammalian fur, not directly from human skin. This explain why it 'stands on end' in respose to stimuli. In furry mammals this response makes the animal look bigger (that's why cats do it when they fight) or conserves body heat by trapping more insulating air.

Also, going back to the original post suggesting that the pattern of male pattern baldness is due to our pillows absorbing the sebum from the back and sides: it's a cute idea, but doesn't really hold water and poses and obvious question. Why do stump-tailed macaques and other primates show the same pattern, yet do not sleep on pillows like we do.

The fact that hairloss goes way back in the primate lineage should give those losing their hair cause for celebration: it meants that baldness never stopped anyone getting laid!

Hope this wasn't too long winded and helps the discussion.

Thanks mate. I am actually concentrating on improving peripheral microcapillary circulation, could there be an evolutionary biological link in this area? My amateur thoughts on evolutionary influences
have started a good debate, and you have sorted out my direction on that
Boru

fnarr

Reaction score
Given ALOT of heat is lost through our heads in cold weather (largely due to the energy-hungry human brain) it's perfectly conceivable that poorer scalp capillary circulation was an adaptive response in European/northern peoples (reducing blood flow or metabolism in the brain is not really an option). When added to the effects of DHT, this could've caused more baldness in men, whilst leaving women and children's hair relatively unscathed. I doubt that comparative data exists on this however, so I'm just speculating.

Footy

Reaction score
fnarr said:
Footy,

I like your ideas - baldness has to be a 'side-effect' of some underlying adaptation. From what I remember if you plot a graph of testicle size against body size humans fall somewhere in the mid range. Highly promiscuous species such as bonobos have to invest in massive balls for their size, whereas largely faithful ones like gorillas have a couple of raisins down there.

So our having slightly promiscuos societies may have required us to have bigger nuts, more DHT, more baldness. Bah!

Hi fnarr.

Yes i do believe that human hair patterns are just a side effect of more important adaptations.

This is an interesting article on the complexity of the `fluid' system of the human head, and it's role in the cooling of the brain. This complex fluid system is part of my personal theory on male pattern baldness.

http://130.94.161.3/KortExplores/articl ... /heat1.php

Quote:
"Humanity has evolved a unique auxiliary cooling system that employs the skin as a radiator and blood as coolant to help deal with the overheating problems that accompany complex brains. Human skulls are perforated with thousands of openings for emissary veins. These emissary veins are unusual in that they allow bidirectional blood flow. The number of these veins has grown as brain size has grown, increasing the capacity of the brain's auxiliary liquid cooling system as the amount of waste heat being generated increased.

Under normal conditions, blood drains out of the brain through the emissary veins. When the brain experiences heat distress, blood flow in the emissary veins reverses, drawing blood cooled by the skin "radiator" into the overheated brain to absorb the excess heat. The effectiveness of our skin pre-cooler is further enhanced by the evaporation of sweat from its outer surface."

S Foote.

michael barry

Reaction score
SO keeping our heads warm suggests that we will have good blood supply pumping to our brains (heads) in an effort to cool them off?

Rogaine supposedly works by the increase of the protien VEGF and release of NO from the capillary cell walls, dialating them. I just found out that the hair capillaries shrink in catagen and telogen about 4 times from their big anagen size and scientists studying this have found that while not growing new hair, THEY ACHIEVED A 40% INCREASE IN HAIR mass in mice by making the hairs the mice had bigger by giving them a protien that upregualted VEGF and kept their microcapillaries large and open and angiogenisis happenin' . This info is on Tom Hagerty's site.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
fnarr said:
Given ALOT of heat is lost through our heads in cold weather (largely due to the energy-hungry human brain) it's perfectly conceivable that poorer scalp capillary circulation was an adaptive response in European/northern peoples (reducing blood flow or metabolism in the brain is not really an option). When added to the effects of DHT, this could've caused more baldness in men, whilst leaving women and children's hair relatively unscathed. I doubt that comparative data exists on this however, so I'm just speculating.

But. Homo sapiens invented clothes, including fur hats to cope with ice age conditions. If genes respond to cold in this specific way, the human body would respond by growing more, better hair in colder climates, and less in warmer climates. This doesn't happen. Hair has a more complex sexual display role. Many leading romans like Julius Caesar were bald, in a warm climate. Roman generals and leaders were obviously highly testosterone driven, more testosterone = increased potential for excess DHT.
A shiny head proclaims. "Hey look at me, I've got more testosterone."
A thick head of hair proclaims. "Hey look at me. I'm a balanced individual."
Evolutionary and environmental factors govern human behaviour.
The balding man has to work harder to get a mate. He is not at any physical disadvantage, and he has more latent agression. He competes, so passes on his baldness gene.

This is a modern scenario, in our crowded world.
Some women are attracted to bald men, for testosterone capacity. Then their friends tease them that their boyfriend is a slaphead. Baldness has been fashionable in some cultures, though not in our consumer society.
It has become a signal of poor health. The heart disease link is possibly relevant, but only because of bad food choices/availability within the bulk of modern society, which exacerbates the potential.
We wouldn't worry about going bald, if the hair prejudiced ones didn't wind us up about it. We should be able to live in peace, but we cannot change society. We are trying to find a cure, to conform. My cure is acting slowly, and I think I will look younger with better hair. If I had not discovered the possibility of curing my baldness, I would have coped with it better in advancing age than I was able to when I was younger. It was a terrible blow, and I am now trying to relive my youth to a degree. It has cost me the same as a good motorbike, so I won't buy one of those.

The bald prone winners of ancient times are still with us, though they are now disadvantaged in some areas by fashion influenced choices.
A skilled footballer or win through, whatever his dht, but he needs t. However, it may be that higher levels of t are needed to disrupt the t-dht balance. We do not yet know which gene triggers the dht fault. However, healthy blood flow is partly within our individual control. Lack of exercise and poor diets can be addressed, as well as using finasteride etc.
It is socially acceptable to go bald gradually in middle age, but terrible to loose it when you are a teenager or in your early 20's. There seems to be an increased reporting of youthfull male pattern baldness, which has many possible combined causes.

We don't want to display our testosterone qualities through hair loss, but evolution can be haphazard. It doesn't only select through (standard ideas of) beauty, but strength, which can produce features which unattractive to some.
Of course, there are many very aggressive men, psychopaths even, with excellent hair, they just lack the dht fault. Hair is a disguise. "Hey, look at me, I'm a reasonable guy. (I only loose my temper when I'm angry)."
We also need to deal with stress, the competitive urge, workaholism. Learn how to relax, deep breathing please, to distribute the oxygen more efficiently through your entire system. Yawn more often.
If there is a study which proves that bald men have less testosterone, I am wrong again. There are more questions here than answers.
Boru

Footy

Reaction score
Boru said:
fnarr said:

But. Homo sapiens invented clothes, including fur hats to cope with ice age conditions. If genes respond to cold in this specific way, the human body would respond by growing more, better hair in colder climates, and less in warmer climates. This doesn't happen. Hair has a more complex sexual display role.

I don't agree with the sexual display idea, simply because at the period in our developement that decided our hair patterns {early humans}, our lifespan was too short to develope male pattern baldness.

male pattern baldness even in modern humans, who it could be argued are more prone to it than our ancestors, is a condition of the mid to late twenties on average.

Our ancestors who devoloped the trait, would have been lucky to live to be twenty!

S Foote.

michael barry

Reaction score
Boru, bald men can have the same amount of testosterone.

Bald men have 1) More alpha 5 reductase enzyme
2) about twice as many androgen receptors
3) about 2.6 times less blood flow to the scalp tissue
4)More androstenidione (thought to be implicated in
temple recession by some

Propecia stops about 65% of body production of DHT, but only a 34% reduction of scalp DHT. I honestly feel progesterone or some other anti-DHT blocker might be better knowing that now. Ive wonder how much scalp DHT that Dutasteride inhibits?

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Bald men also have more cortisol and oilier scalps too. This is what we know, now what do do about it?

ok. So maybe the baldness/testosterone display idea was a false lead.
If our biology is doing something weird to our scalp hair, without any evolutionary or environmental necessity, then we can only treat the symptoms. What do we do about it?
Well, I can only pass on my own experience of some success, and for the most part many of you are doing the same as I am.
Apart from the finasteride, minoxidil, laser comb and various topical treatments that are recommended here, I do the scalp exercises and work hard on improving my circulation with my "thing."
The various treatments must be working in unison, and I can't explain exactly what is going on, though I have some clues.
I am no expert, just struck lucky with my fumbling guesses.
I thought that finasteride suppressed the dht, but now I read that it does something to the 5 alpha enzyme. If the dht remains constant, this changes the picture. Any ideas on this? Am I confused?
Boru

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
New Hypothesis about Common Baldness
AJ Soler
Elda - Alicante, Spain

"Common baldness or Alopecia affects a high number of people. The etiology and pattern of hair loss has not been completely xplained, probably because hair is one of the most dynamic mammalian structures. The hair follicle can both renew itself through an intrisic stem cell population and has the ability to cycle asynchronously (It can grow and rest independent of other follicles).

Sebum is vital for hair growth, and it is created and eliminated continuously due to its high instability. In this hypothesis, the existence of a sebum flow outward and another one inward towards the hair follicle, is proposed. If there are problems of elimination in its way outward, this causes problems in the inward flow. Therefore the detention of sebum flow towards the inside of the hair follicle is proposed as the initial and triggering factor of common baldness.

This hypothesis provides a simple explanation of the characteristic pattern of hair loss and why Alopecia affected areas do not appear at the sides and back of the head. These are the areas we rest daily on absorbent surfaces such as the pillow, where sebum can be drained driectly, avoiding in this way its possible detention. The hair located in the "sensitive" areas has to eliminate sebum by carrying it longitudinally along the hair shaft, or in a transversal way by contact with neighbouring hair.

On the other hand, it seems that the follicular papilla is a result of migration of transient amplifying cells from the bulge region to the hair germ during anagen induction.

It is then logical to think that the route of such cells is the same that sebum must cover. If sebum stops, then its physical, chemical and biological properties change and may cause an alteration or decrease of the cells that reach their aim, which can explain the miniaturization process that is observed in common baldness.

From that point the rest of alterations in other involved systems, such as the hormonal, immune, circulatory, fibrosis processes, etc. can be explained.

Baldness is a degenerative process that affects each hair individually, easily reversible at the initial stages, and more difficult to reverse as time goes by."
This helps to explain how I have been able to deminaturise my dormant follicles after twenty years of male pattern baldness. Thanks.

michael barry

Reaction score
Boru, what exactly are you doing that you are having success with. You mention youve invented something. I can only think of laser light, electromagnetism, or some sort of sound wave device could concievably influence dermal papillas 4-6 mm under the skin. If you are NOT selling the device, I dont think admin will mind you saying what youre doing that you feel is giving you success.

My regimine currently consists of half a propecia tablet, flaxseed powder in oatmeal, vitamins (including grape seed extract, MSM, cod liver oil capsule, multivitamin also). Crinagen 2X a day, scalp excercises inverted over side of bed 2X a day for 10 minutes each. Am currently looking to add a vasolidator to my regimine, thinking about topical alchohol right before shower for a few minutes or safflower oil. Thats what Im doing currently.

Would be interested in what you do.

michael barry

Reaction score
By the way, I sleep with a tobaggan on my head to drain excess sebum and wipe my head at lunch with a towel to soak up sebum and then again when I get home before S.E.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
michael barry said:
Boru, what exactly are you doing that you are having success with. You mention youve invented something. I can only think of laser light, electromagnetism, or some sort of sound wave device could concievably influence dermal papillas 4-6 mm under the skin. If you are NOT selling the device, I dont think admin will mind you saying what youre doing that you feel is giving you success.

My regimine currently consists of half a propecia tablet, flaxseed powder in oatmeal, vitamins (including grape seed extract, MSM, cod liver oil capsule, multivitamin also). Crinagen 2X a day, scalp excercises inverted over side of bed 2X a day for 10 minutes each. Am currently looking to add a vasolidator to my regimine, thinking about topical alchohol right before shower for a few minutes or safflower oil. Thats what Im doing currently.

Hi Michael
As you know I cannot explain the science exactly. However, keeping healthy sebum (isn't this a horrible word?) may very well be one important aspect of my combination device. I need to have it approved for safety never mind any other consideration. I can't afford to patent it, so am waiting for better results before I try to impress on the publicity front. You aren't far off on the sound wave guess, but it is more than this. Do you want to spend nearly £5000 on components and use it for half an hour every evening, on the off chance that it might work for you? I don't want to be accused of advertising these medical components for unlicenced purposes. They might sue me. I already use the laser comb, and have been doing the scalp excercises for twenty years (I learned these from a little book I bought in Belfast in 1985 which I told Tom Hagerty about, which didn't amuse him as he thinks it is his idea!) My combination method may be working, and my device may be completely superflous! I'm still getting my head around my hair, so to speak, trying to learn the biology, brainstorming crazy ideas like the influence of evolutionary biology on hair. How to explain it with my scant knowledge, most of it gleaned from here?

Would be interested in what you do.
I also recommend fenugreek seeds, licorice, emu oil, and a host of herbal teas, MSM, DHEA and grape seed oil etc. but these are more recent additions to my routine. The orginal sole thing I used to create vellus was saw palmetto, along with my first prototype. It isn't a laser.
I used to use an inverter table years ago, but it strained my ankles.
I can now comb hundreds of long hairs back over my head, and there are thousands of new terminal hairs growing at a noticable rate now. I believe I will have a presentable frontal hairline in several months, from zero last year. However, I do not know how thick it will be, or if the crown will recover to anywhere near the same extent.
I noticed that trials of proscar on older men did not affect long term baldness, only thickening in younger men. They concluded that the lower dose propecia would therefore be unlikely to regrow hair that has been dormant for many years. So, finasteride may be helping to turn the noticiable vellus hairs into terminal hairs. However, it is the dormant to vellus stage which may be the key. Maybe that is the mystery. If one can awake fully minaturised hairs after twenty years, I conclude that they can be kept alive, just, if they are protected from the sun and given some circulation with scalp exercises.
Thanks for your interest and I will try to explain things better through study of the excellent links here.
Boru

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm asking you for about the fourteenth time: how do you explain the fact that people with CAIS (complete androgen insensitivity syndrome) have luxuriant, flourishing scalp hair growth, despite the fact that they have little or no sebum production?

CAIS never existied.Sorry

Based on the analysis of primary DNA sequences, the family

of 5α-Rs is currently thought to encompass five enzymes,

including the three main 5α-R isotypes (1, 2, and 3) and the

two trans-2,3 enoyl-CoA reductases (TECR and TECR-like)

[2, 3]. To date, no genetic deficiency has been reported for 5α-

R type 1 enzyme. In contrast, the clinical consequences of

congenital 5α-R type 2 deficiencies are well characterized

and consist in alterations of sexual differentiation [4–10]. Mutations

in 5α-R type 3 have also been described, and are associated

with mental retardation and visual disturbances

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What
Surely minaturised hairs will produce less healthy sebum? Sebum flow is not the cause of DHT, the major hormonal factor. Also, in full minaturisation, there is a reduced capacity to absorb DHT (peptide receptors are also minaturised), explaining why, as in my case, hairs can remain dormant for many years. And with the right combination of drugs and topical and other treatments, they can be wakened. Sebum flow has not been a conscious issue in my ground breaking advance.
"New" theories must be cross-examined. I am not an expert, but a keen student. I hope that Armando can answer my 'umble questions, because his theory is attractive. My theory must be at least partly correct, because much of my hair is regrowing. I must say I appreciate the continued debate and sharing, caring open-minded approach here.
Boru
is your regiment??

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I THINK dht activate Bone Morphogenetic Protein(BMP) in the scalp and trigger all the cascade of inflamation and calcification to the area close to the bone