Article: male pattern baldness Triggered by Sebum Flow

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
New Hypothesis about Common Baldness
AJ Soler
Elda - Alicante, Spain

"Common baldness or Alopecia affects a high number of people. The etiology and pattern of hair loss has not been completely xplained, probably because hair is one of the most dynamic mammalian structures. The hair follicle can both renew itself through an intrisic stem cell population and has the ability to cycle asynchronously (It can grow and rest independent of other follicles).

Sebum is vital for hair growth, and it is created and eliminated continuously due to its high instability. In this hypothesis, the existence of a sebum flow outward and another one inward towards the hair follicle, is proposed. If there are problems of elimination in its way outward, this causes problems in the inward flow. Therefore the detention of sebum flow towards the inside of the hair follicle is proposed as the initial and triggering factor of common baldness.

This hypothesis provides a simple explanation of the characteristic pattern of hair loss and why Alopecia affected areas do not appear at the sides and back of the head. These are the areas we rest daily on absorbent surfaces such as the pillow, where sebum can be drained driectly, avoiding in this way its possible detention. The hair located in the "sensitive" areas has to eliminate sebum by carrying it longitudinally along the hair shaft, or in a transversal way by contact with neighbouring hair.

On the other hand, it seems that the follicular papilla is a result of migration of transient amplifying cells from the bulge region to the hair germ during anagen induction.

It is then logical to think that the route of such cells is the same that sebum must cover. If sebum stops, then its physical, chemical and biological properties change and may cause an alteration or decrease of the cells that reach their aim, which can explain the miniaturization process that is observed in common baldness.

From that point the rest of alterations in other involved systems, such as the hormonal, immune, circulatory, fibrosis processes, etc. can be explained.

Baldness is a degenerative process that affects each hair individually, easily reversible at the initial stages, and more difficult to reverse as time goes by."

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is my paper and my aproximation to common baldness. It is important say that this is my theory about the initial and triggering cause of hair loss in men and women. Others problems, multifactorials arrive after.

Thank you HairLossTalk.com for your interest

Armando

thin=depressed

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Lets not forget the messaging effect of rolling over on your pillow night after night. Also lets not forget the fact that the TOP of your head is furthest part of your body in which blood has to travel and overcome gravity in the process.Minute overall but you have to figure that this occurs every day while your awake and upright .Eventually the hairs with LESS flow (top of head) will not be able to remove sebum as efficiently due to circulation colapse.Chemicals and oils unhealthy to hair start to build up (including the notorious dht)in scalp.Just a hunch but I suspect the overall population of men over six feet tall are impacted in the early 20's with hairloss issues because of the impact thier height has on quality of circulation.Women having less height and less dht and more hair friendly hormones are less prone.
Note:Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise for example are not over 5' 10" tall

moegreen

Reaction score
i have hairloss on my sides and back.. not as much as on top but it is significant... the first thing to go (i.e. start fading) was my sides (not my temples!)

what do u think?

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Pirate Commander F.B. said:
Let me just say that I am rolling my eyes frantically as I read this thread.
LOL ... hey he's published! Gotta give him that much :)

And it *IS* peculiar that you only lose hair in the areas of the head which you don't sleep on :)

Armando have you considered doing a study on how many men with bald spots sleep on their back? If your theory is correct, the data should reveal that everyone who has a bald spot is a "side-sleeper".

HairLossTalk.com

Matgallis

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Then why don't we lose hair at the ages of 2-17??

When you talk about circulation you forget that our bodies have a constant blood pressure, when the heart beats all the blood is pushed away from the heart. The time it takes to create a "wave" effect from the heart to the top of the head is so slight it probaly can't be measured. Hold your finger to your neck (where the main artery is) and with the other hand hold the artery in your wrist. You will see they are very close in timing. Also blood isn't working against gravity. It's not exactly "flowing" it's being pushed by the heart. Kind of like oil in your motor is "pressured" so it circulated throughout the motor effective and effiently at the same time covering every internal part of the motor at the same time. Take away the pressure and the motor is fried.

I do agree however that sebum plays a major role in male pattern baldness. When i come home from work I can see the "grease" from exessive sebum collecting only on my scalp...

KevinW

Established Member
Reaction score
YoungGuy18 said:
if height is such an issue how come you dont see nba basketball players losing their hair?

I think you do. Many players shave their heads and in some cases it's because they dont have their hair. i could be wrong, I only watch college basketball.

About this article....

From my own personal experiences I have noticed that I sleep on my side, mostly on the left. My right temple has receded more. Maybe I'll start sleeping face down since its the front of my hair which is most thin. :p

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairlossTalk said:
And it *IS* peculiar that you only lose hair in the areas of the head which you don't sleep on :)

HairLossTalk.com

I sleep on my back. If this were true then the entire back of my head would be bare.

Instead, I receded at the temples starting at age 17. This was coupled at age 20 by my crown starting to thin.

He's published but I still don't believe everything I read.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tonsure: method to develop baldness

Hi;
Another interesting thing is that tonsure is an universal method to produce a localised alopecia in any person, but not in laterals zones of the head. Is it possible to induce common baldness in healthy individuals for other method?

Regards
Armando

michael barry

Reaction score
Hair transplants disprove your theory........

Go to hairtransplantnetwork.com and click on repair pictures and you will see pictures of men who had transplants years earlier and the hair around the plugs fell out, but the plugs are strong as ever, unaffected by DHT because they are genetically immune to it.

I really wish it were shampoo, silly circulation theories which one could counteract by hanging upside down 20 minutes a day or whatnot, but its just genetic predisposition. People have always went bald to antiquity. Orangutans and gorillas experience receeding hair. Caucasians are the baldest race of people on earth, led by blonds. People from India bald the second most often. Recessive genes (blonde hair) exhibit baldness most often in a given population. For example, Chinese men with wavy hair, which is a recessive trait in that population, bald earlier than Chinese men with straight hair (which is normal there). Chinese bald about half as regularly as Caucasians do.

We might be able to retard baldness with propecia, minoxodil, SuperOxideDismutases, avoding saturated fats from red meats, and transfats, but in the 20 or so hair cycles a hair has...........at some point the irreversible genetic triggers are switched and it WILL start miniturizing. It aint' your pillows guys, as much as Id LIKE to believe that.

Dinzy

Established Member
Reaction score
Just to add to this silly bit. I sleep with a pillow over my head. My whole damn skull is resting against one of my pillows. I am still losing hair in a diffuse Nw7 pattern

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dinzy said:
Just to add to this silly bit. I sleep with a pillow over my head. My whole damn skull is resting against one of my pillows. I am still losing hair in a diffuse Nw7 pattern

Hi dinzy,

I don't understand your type of hair loss, diffuse NW7 pattern?? Do you have hair in the top of the hair?

What is your regimen?

Armando

losin_it

Reaction score
Are you kidding me?

As one poster already mentioned, hanging upside down and pillow rubs arent going to save your hair and blood loss due to height dont contribute to hair loss. You have to be a moron to believe this.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that many theories are proven, only to be disproven years later. It's always best to stay open minded.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Armando Jose said:
This is my paper and my aproximation to common baldness. It is important say that this is my theory about the initial and triggering cause of hair loss in men and women. Others problems, multifactorials arrive after.

Thank you HairLossTalk.com for your interest

Armando

Surely minaturised hairs will produce less healthy sebum? Sebum flow is not the cause of DHT, the major hormonal factor. Also, in full minaturisation, there is a reduced capacity to absorb DHT (peptide receptors are also minaturised), explaining why, as in my case, hairs can remain dormant for many years. And with the right combination of drugs and topical and other treatments, they can be wakened. Sebum flow has not been a conscious issue in my ground breaking advance.
"New" theories must be cross-examined. I am not an expert, but a keen student. I hope that Armando can answer my 'umble questions, because his theory is attractive. My theory must be at least partly correct, because much of my hair is regrowing. I must say I appreciate the continued debate and sharing, caring open-minded approach here.
Boru

michael barry

Reaction score
Boru,
I do know this from reading.........sebum is full of DHT. As the follicle miniaturizes, the sebaceous gland stays the same size, making just as much sebum as before for the now-smaller follicle, which is too much of course. In fact, high levels of animal fats make the sebaceous gland larger and more productive and place more DHT molecules in the sebum. The Japanese have noticed this and blame it on the increasing rates of baldness there post WWII along with extra androgens in the blood stream.

Also, big point here, a peroxide in oxidized sebum has been implicated by Japanese researchers in dermal papilla cell death.

Im not saying Armando's theory is the whole explanation to male pattern baldness, but I do feel that sebum secretions reabsorbing back into the scalp definitely aggravates the philosebaceous unit.