Article: Is Azelaic Acid A Better Dht Blocker Than Finasteride?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This came in my email and may be of interest to some.

https://www.minoxidilmax.com/review/azelaic-acid

Dear MinoxidilMax Newsletter Subscriber,
Here comes our first newsletter. Some of you might have subscribed our newsletter long time ago and do not want to receive update from us. You can simply subscribe from this email list.

In this article, we will answer one question that is frequently asked by our customer: is azelaic acid a better DHT blocker than finasteride? Do I need both or just one of them in my product?

Both azelaic acid and finasteride are DHT blockers. Azelaic acid is generally considered to be a type 1 and type 2 alpha reductase, while finasteride is only a type 2 reductase. So it seems that Azelaic acid is stronger DHT blocker than finasteride. Is this true? Let's first take a look at the structures of finasteride, testosterone and azelaic acid (above) Finasteride has similar structure as testosterone . It is a specific competitive inhibitor for type 2 alpha reductase that converts testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). If you have read enough, you will know that high level of DHT in scalp is the cause of male pattern hair loss. So to lower the DHT level in the scalp is the key to reverse hair loss. To convert testosterone into DHT, the reductase has to bind to (or “swallow” to put it in layman's word) testosterone first. When finasteride is present, finasteride will be bound to the enzyme first (because reductase likes finasteride a lot more than testosterone) and block the active site of reductase. As a result, reductase will no longer be able to bind to testosterone and convert it into DHT.

Azelaic acid has drastically different structure from testosterone (see the Figure below). It is a non-specific competitive inhibitor. In other words, reductase is not a big fan of azelaic acid and has no interest in “swallowing” it. However, when the reductase is surrounded by numerous azelaic acid molecules and it will involuntarily and accidentally “swallow” some azelaic acid which will in turn deactivate the enzyme. That is why much higher concentration of azelaic acid is needed compared to finasteride to be effective (The typical concentration for finasteride is 0.1% as in our Dualgen-15 Plusproducts, or 0.05% as in our Essengen-6 Plus), while the concentration of azelaic is typically 5% as in our Dualgen-15products.

abcdefg

Reaction score
What topical vehicle would you need and what amounts of Azelaic acid to get results then with male pattern baldness? Would Azelaic acid in larger amounts compared to finasteride cause greater sides? It seems the sides would be worse then finasteride and more like dutasteride if it attacks all forms of reductase enzyme instead of finasteride targeting just 5-ar2
I am still unsure if its possible to locally reduce androgens in the scalp without systemically affecting anything else and getting enough strength to stop male pattern baldness locally.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you make your own azelaic acid mixes like you can do with RU? Like just drop 3 grams of AA into a 60 mL minoxidil bottle and get a 5% minoxidil and AA solution?

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Could you make your own azelaic acid mixes like you can do with RU? Like just drop 3 grams of AA into a 60 mL minoxidil bottle and get a 5% minoxidil and AA solution?

aren't there a lot of products with azelaic acid in them for hair?

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil Max had good products, but they don't deliver to the USA unfortunately. I was using them in Australia.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
So thats not sold in USA and either is Stemoxydine?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil Max had good products, but they don't deliver to the USA unfortunately. I was using them in Australia.

you can get a variety of minoxidil products with AA through murray ave apothecary... or you can find like 50 brands of it on ebay.... wonder if i should reconsider it.

edit - I just found a bottle under my sink, haha... I am going to try it on one temple for a while and see how I respond. i never gave it the full try. who knows what the f*** i'll respond to.

Last edited:

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
you can get a variety of minoxidil products with AA through murray ave apothecary... or you can find like 50 brands of it on ebay.... wonder if i should reconsider it.

Is there a negative to it?

I mean why is it not available so easily?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Bucky, I ordered some more minoxidil from Will Gaunitz. His shampoo is great and his minoxidil formulas address hair loss at many different angles. He is offering a 30 percent off the kit. The stuff has good ingredients in it. Check out his videos on youtube. He is very impressive to listen to.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bucky, I ordered some more minoxidil from Will Gaunitz. His shampoo is great and his minoxidil formulas address hair loss at many different angles. He is offering a 30 percent off the kit. The stuff has good ingredients in it. Check out his videos on youtube. He is very impressive to listen to.

i have to ask - are you associated with Will Gaunitz in any manner?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
i have to ask - are you associated with Will Gaunitz in any manner?
I wish I was, Bucky. The guy seems to know alot about hair loss treatments. He would definitely be interesting to talk to about hair loss and treatments. Don't worry Bucky, been on here long enough to promise you I am not a shill for anyone. I just was impressed with his videos. Trust me, I am very well educated about hair loss and I know when someone is full of it and he definitely knows alot.

hairblues

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i've tried a lot of their sh*t. Don't know if anything will work for you, but everything they formulated for me irritated the f*** out of my scalp. could just be my skin is very sensitive, don't know. you can always call them and talk directly with the pharmacist. I think she also owns the place.

right now knock on wood i am doing pretty well with what i am using...im just keeping aware of what else is out there that can improve and in case anything changes/stops working.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I was, Bucky. The guy seems to know alot about hair loss treatments. He would definitely be interesting to talk to about hair loss and treatments. Don't worry Bucky, been on here long enough to promise you I am not a shill for anyone. I just was impressed with his videos. Trust me, I am very well educated about hair loss and I know when someone is full of it and he definitely knows alot.

I know Doctor, just had to ask! I trust you brother. :)

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

so that’s the brand of minoxidil you use Advanced Trichology?

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
We were using that back in the mid to late 90's as per the notorious Dr. Lee, and internet sensation later shut down by the FDA for practicing across borders.

The answer to the question is don't bother with azelaic acid. If it worked well by now we would know. Dr. Lee also used topical spironolactone which is often said to be inactive in that form. His formulas were known for high levels of minoxidil from 12 to 15 percent.

-Synergy-

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We were using that back in the mid to late 90's as per the notorious Dr. Lee, and internet sensation later shut down by the FDA for practicing across borders.

The answer to the question is don't bother with azelaic acid. If it worked well by now we would know. Dr. Lee also used topical spironolactone which is often said to be inactive in that form. His formulas were known for high levels of minoxidil from 12 to 15 percent.

Then why do so many older members here swear that doctors Lees minoxidil was the best ever? I understand that retinoic acid is probably better than azelaic acid. Does azelaic acid do anything good for the skin? I hear the stuff is antibacterial and helps clean pores. I tryed some only a few times awhile back and my skin got really red for about a minute.