Are we the reason why there's no cure ?

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Think about it. In 2008, Merck made 429 million dollars just from Propecia and yet no one gives a sh1t to send some of that green to someone who can actually help us like Cotsarelis who could give us a better, safer treatment for 1/8th of that total cost.

We spend so much money on expensive hair transplants, medications, potions and lotions etc. Not only do they all sell us garbage, but we're also supporting them and pushing ourselves further and further away from a actual cure.

I can't help but think we're the reason why there's no cure today.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Think about it. In 2008, Merck made 429 million dollars just from Propecia and yet no one gives a sh1t to send some of that green to someone who can actually help us like Cotsarelis who could give us a better, safer treatment for 1/8th of that total cost.

We spend so much money on expensive hair transplants, medications, potions and lotions etc. Not only do they all sell us garbage, but we're also supporting them and pushing ourselves further and further away from a actual cure.

garbage? tell that to the guy who kept his hair on propecia for 6 years LOL (and how many times i've heard of this happening, i cannot even count). not to mention the many guys with SOME thinning (NOT a lot) who regrow it all and keep their hair good for many years

the main stickler is they have a hard time regrowing SIGNIFICANT amounts of hair . . . . NEVERTHELESS they are better than nothing . . . . . thats for damn sure

**** why did i not get on propecia earlier . . . . . ive been on propecia for 2 years with ZERO sides . . . . . .but its too late now. i just have a diffused nw5-6

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
I never bought propecia. I made a decision to avoid it on the basis of its side effects. Minioxidil, yes, I paid for it.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
I never bought propecia. I made a decision to avoid it on the basis of its side effects

And your body thanks you.

Yes, garbage. Finasteride, Dutasteride or whatever hormone altering drug, they're all crap. Too many risks associated with those drugs. Young men shouldn't be depriving their body of DHT, let alone altering their hormonal profile just to slow down hair loss.

We have the technology right at our doorstep but yet we ignore it and continue to purchase these stone age treatments.

THAT, my friends, is why we are so far behind. Researchers COULD have found the cure or at least a better treatment a long time ago IF they would've had the proper funding.

From Cotsarelis to Dr. Xu. We're a selfish bunch, only care about saving ourselves rather than crowd funding researchers to help cure us ALL.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score

Your Implying that we have some control over this situation. We don't. Nothing we do or not do will help these scientists bring about a cure any faster. It sounds like you are in a variation of the bargaining phase of the grieving process, whereby your promise to not buy any current treatments will somehow facilitate the required steps to a real cure.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
Your Implying that we have some control over this situation. We don't. Nothing we do or not do will help these scientists bring about a cure any faster.

Although money isn't the ultimate answer, it will help us get closer to a cure. Stop telling yourself that there's nothing that can be done.

With that sh1tty attitude, we'll never get anywhere. We need to get a crowd funding campaign in order and help Dr. Cotsarelis or Dr. Xu.

https://tinyurl.com/kngvmyy

Instead of spending the rest of your life b1tching and complaining, try doing something (anything) to help the people that are trying to help you.

monitoradiation

Established Member
Reaction score
Although money isn't the ultimate answer, it will help us get closer to a cure. Stop telling yourself that there's nothing that can be done.

With that sh1tty attitude, we'll never get anywhere. We need to get a crowd funding campaign in order and help Dr. Cotsarelis or Dr. Xu.

Instead of spending the rest of your life b1tching and complaining, try doing something (anything) to help the people that are trying to help you.

False dichotomy detected. We can b**ch and whine AND crowdfund if need be. What makes you think we can't do both at the same time?

Do you know how much money any company stands to gain from discovering a cure? It's not like we're not making MALES anymore.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
False dichotomy detected. We can b**ch and whine AND crowdfund if need be. What makes you think we can't do both at the same time?

I don't give a sh1t, point being is we're not doing anything useful to help ourselves.

Do you know how much money any company stands to gain from discovering a cure?

They NEED money to continue on with their research.

kpat

Established Member
Reaction score
It probably has a lot to do with money - whether it be the money people get from us paying for the meds or the lack of funding that goes to finding a true "cure" - but I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that it's something so ingrained in our biological makeup. Finding a cure to balding would kind of be like finding a cure to aging. Practically everyone has some form of hair thinning and hairline recession by the time they're elderly, and the fact that some have more or less just depends on their hormones/genes. It's like depression - you can treat the symptoms, but you can't really cure the disease. And it's a lifelong battle. It's not like we're battling the flu, some outside viral body. We're battling what is part of us already. And that's what makes it so hard.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
It probably has a lot to do with money - whether it be the money people get from us paying for the meds or the lack of funding that goes to finding a true "cure" - but I think it also has a lot to do with the fact that it's something so ingrained in our biological makeup. Finding a cure to balding would kind of be like finding a cure to aging. Practically everyone has some form of hair thinning and hairline recession by the time they're elderly, and the fact that some have more or less just depends on their hormones/genes. It's like depression - you can treat the symptoms, but you can't really cure the disease. And it's a lifelong battle. It's not like we're battling the flu, some outside viral body. We're battling what is part of us already. And that's what makes it so hard.

I completely agree with you, the most realistic post in this thread.
Rest is pure naivety.
Come on people, baldness is written in people's genes, that's why it's so hard to find a "cure".
Maybe it is impossible at all, who knows.
Finding a complete cure for baldness is like finding a "cure" for being short, for example.
It's genetic, can you get it? And we are far far away from deciphering how to alter genes, and even if we could do it, it could have dramatic side effects.
So unless we find a way to alter genes, to "wipe away" the information about sensitivity to DHT or god knows what other is the main cause to baldness , this without destroying the genes and lead to severe problems , i think any other solution to hair loss would be a lifelong commitment like finasteride or min.
As about hair multiplication, i'd be very happy for it to happen, but it still sounds science-fiction big time to me.

So please stop "flying", get the feet on earth, and you'd better thank that now there exists meds for maintaining or transplants, because some 25 years ago, you had absolutely no solutions for this hair-loss condition.
Don't force things, if a cure is really possible(and i sometimes have serious doubts), it would happen, but who knows when, maybe 100 years from now...
So you'd better either accept the condition, or use available solutions(meds, transplants) to make it better.
Obsessing about when the treatment comes won't do any good, i think, it only drives people crazy .
So the best is to do what is available now in order for your hair to look better, at least aceptable and then go live your life.(and i'm talking about transplant+maintenance with finasteride maybe)
If the cure comes, perfect, all of us will get it, but if it doesn;t come, so what? Live your life.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
The most simplest answer is usually the right one:

There's no baldness cure because not enough people care for it.

Forget about conspiracy theories that pharmaceuticals hold back a cure. There is only ONE pharmaceutical that has a working treatment; Merck. That's it... and its a half *** treatment too. Also it's patent expired last year. Rogaine is out of the question too as Minoxidil's patent expired a long time ago too. Let's also not act as if USA is the only country in the world where research and clinical trials are done. A cure can exist anywhere. The other problem is people's seriousness with men's health. Just take a look at breast cancer funding vs. prostate cancer funding. The disparity is disgusting. Women's health has been given a much higher priority. But who's to blame for that? It's not just women. It's also men! Why haven't we put as much emphasis on our own health as we have for women? You can be sure that there would be some selfish people that would take offense to men ramping up initiatives for their own health. But let's say we did want to be more vocal about hair loss, what would happen then? Well, we know that if men seek help with baldness and make it publicly known they are ridiculed for it. The problem is a social one. As a man, you're not supposed to worry about your hair. Try telling someone or a group of people your trying to reverse your hair loss; you are more than likely to have someone tell you 'its just hair' or 'just shave it off'. I've never seen a health condition like baldness where laughing at someone, insulting them over it and humiliation has been openly accepted, warranted and tolerated... and this ONLY occurs to men. Women with hair loss are exempt from shaming.

Want a hair loss cure? You're going to have to overcome a LOT of problems with society. Either that, or pretend you want to solve hair loss for women and children because men with baldness receive ZERO sympathy.

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
So why don't we start a crowd funding campaign for women's hair loss ?

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
Either that, or pretend you want to solve hair loss for women and children because men with baldness receive ZERO sympathy.

Why would you, as a grown man, need and demand sympathy from others?
A man shouldn't be overly obsessed with how he looks, i think.
I agree that females must be attractive, but as for men, others should be their main qualities...
Why do you put men and women in the same pot?
Come on man, you need to mature a bit, all men in the world are good-looking ?
Be serious, there are millions of ugly men with full heads of hair, hair is not all.
And most probably nobody gives a damn if your hair is thinning, it's all in your head.

A real man should have confidence, should be smart, strong, etc, able to protect his family, not necesarily look like Brad Pitt, or "oh, why doesn';t everyone sympathize me, fvck them", or look in the mirror and say "oh my gosh, there's 1 cm of my scalp showing here and 2 cm there, i'm screwed, my life ends".
This is everything but not mature attitude.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why would you, as a grown man, need and demand sympathy from others?

Why do you, as a grown man, see things in only black and white?

A man shouldn't be overly obsessed with how he looks, i think.

Then why are women, overly obsessed about a man who's balding?

I agree that females must be attractive, but as for men, others should be their main qualities...

HYPOCRISY.

So women SHOULD be attractive but it doesn't matter for men? You're clearly a sexist idiot.

Why do you put men and women in the same pot?

Because I'm a humanist with expectations of fair and equal treatment.

Come on man, you need to mature a bit, all men in the world are good-looking ?
Be serious, there are millions of ugly men with full heads of hair, hair is not all.

So?

And most probably nobody gives a damn if your hair is thinning, it's all in your head.

Really? Then what are you doing on this forum? Get away from the computer and see how well you do with women and your balding head?

A real man should have confidence, should be smart, strong,etc,

Says who? YOU? Why should any man have to live up to what YOU think? I don't give two ****s about what your expectations are of a man.

able to protect his family

This needs to apply to women as much as it should for men.

not necesarily look like Brad Pitt,

Again, why do you see things in black and white?

or "oh, why doesn';t everyone sympathize me, fvck them", or look in the mirror and say "oh my gosh, there's 1 cm of my scalp showing here and 2 cm there, i'm screwed, my life ends".
This is everything but not mature attitude.

You're ignorant. I suppose that's where I should draw the line in regards to future conversations with you.

dreamermerlin

Established Member
Reaction score
You're ridiculous. Are you a man or a little boy? Because you're acting like the latter.
"Conversations" with me?? Do you tell this load of insults "conversations"???
I'm very sorry for you...But believe me, if other people(men/women/whatever) perceive you differently than you would want, it doesn't have anything to do with your hair, maybe it's your attitude.
Don;t you see, you don;t like an argument, and write a load of insults...
Believe me, women who truly want a real relationship, not one-night sex, value other qualities from men, not 200 hair/square centimeter.
You really need to get up, my friend, you're dreaming i think.
Yes, maybe being bald doesn't help if you want to go out every night, and pick some "cheap" girls who look fantastic(but may be stupid as the night) to have sex with them. If this is your main goal in life, then i am sorry, but i agree, not having perfect hair may be bad.
In rest, no problem, there are millions of bald guys in great relationships or marriages.
If you';re bald but have other qualities, it won;t be a problem with having a good relationship.
Of course, a relationship with a superficial woman who counts your number of hairs on the head it's not worth.
So please stop acting like a pussy and grow up.
You need a cold shower, my friend!
I wish you the best!

Dark Link

Banned
Reaction score
Don't you think to a degree the snake oil salesmen, and hair loss drug companies have done a good job to make us feel bad about our hair loss? Yes we as balding men have always felt down about it. Look at Patrick Stewart's story of him dealing with baldness. But now there are commercials and media constantly convincing you you are inferior because you have less hair. They want you to feel bad about it so that you will buy their products.

Vanity has become an overwhelmingly large part of our culture as human beings. Looks and visuals matter so much more to people than ever. If you really want to stop caring about your hair loss as much you would need to basically become a hermit. Some people don't like gingers, or genetically obese people, or people with freckles, moles etc. Some men look good bald some men don't. You might actually have more success with women going bald because some women might find that distinctness attractive. It sets you apart from the other men. It's the same reason why men find certain flaws in women to be attractive. Like Uma Thurmans widespread eyes, or Penelope Cruz's horse nose. If you had a Barbie girl men would be turned off because there would be too much competition to go for her.

An many ways men have evolved to go bald to make them a more fatherly figure. That's why as we become of age we become less attractive to women by going bald so that we will fulfill our fatherly duties rather than going out womanizing. I know that this hurts our ego but I do believe that might be the reason for this. I personally would rather be a father and raise a family rather than going out catching who knows what from a bunch of bimbo w****s.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just as Hellouser said the reason that there is no cure is because there is not enough research done for hair loss because not enough people care. ALSO PEOPLE HAIR LOSS IS NOT COMPARABLE WITH BEING SHORT! If you are short you need to do faaaar more thing to "fix" that, this is because you need to create thing in the body that never existed.

Balding is just a side effect of genes in my opinion. there is no gene that says when your hair will fall out. It just happens that there is a gene making hair that is naturally sensitive to dht and pgd2. The cure would be very simple then, block dht and pgd2 from reaching your hair follicle and stimulate hair regrowth. The problem is we don't have both of these. We don't have a safe dht and pgd2 inhibitor that only affect the scalp nor effective growth stimulants. No company develops one and that's the reason why there is no cure.

The principle is very simple: stop dht and pgd2 from reaching the hairfollikel and stimulate new hair growth, but this is easier said than done. If you think about it, dht is doing something that deactivates the hair, if you restore the origin state of the hair like when you were 10 (your hair was unaffected by dht), chances are that your will grow back normally, but the question is what are the causes of the hair follikel stopping to produce hair and how can you reverse that. You can found out what that is by simple monitoring hair of a balding man, look at everything that changes in the hair that is miniaturizing, do the pgd2 level rise, does something else changes? Look for example what happens next if you block dht in the hairfollikel how does it respond, do the levels of everything go to normal again? or does the effects stay? Just by looking at that kind of thing you can understand a lot more about hair löss but no one bothers to try.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
You're ridiculous. Are you a man or a little boy? Because you're acting like the latter.
"Conversations" with me?? Do you tell this load of insults "conversations"???
I'm very sorry for you...But believe me, if other people(men/women/whatever) perceive you differently than you would want, it doesn't have anything to do with your hair, maybe it's your attitude.
Don;t you see, you don;t like an argument, and write a load of insults...
Believe me, women who truly want a real relationship, not one-night sex, value other qualities from men, not 200 hair/square centimeter.
You really need to get up, my friend, you're dreaming i think.
Yes, maybe being bald doesn't help if you want to go out every night, and pick some "cheap" girls who look fantastic(but may be stupid as the night) to have sex with them. If this is your main goal in life, then i am sorry, but i agree, not having perfect hair may be bad.
In rest, no problem, there are millions of bald guys in great relationships or marriages.
If you';re bald but have other qualities, it won;t be a problem with having a good relationship.
Of course, a relationship with a superficial woman who counts your number of hairs on the head it's not worth.
So please stop acting like a pussy and grow up.
You need a cold shower, my friend!
I wish you the best!

Everyone is hyper obsessed with beauty in the United States/Canada, very critically so. Man or woman, it makes no difference here. Looks are king. That is the underlying dynamic here at play for us.... so what we have here is an inability to see eye to eye due to cultural differences. Things are obviously different in Romania, maybe they are better and maybe you think our culture is silly (I would agree) but we are victims of it none the less.

Now this might be a bad analogy (so pardon me in advance) but the kind of hate that bald guys currently receive is TO A LESSER DEGREE BUT NOT DISSIMILAR to what blacks endured through the civil rights movement. One group of people hating another because a physical feature makes them "different". Blacks had to tolerate the worst kind of prejudice. Would you say to a young repressed black man during segregation to "just get over it?" to "not give their oppressors so much power?" How would that help? It doesn't. Because an idea imbedded into the minds of the people would not ALLOW them to be viewed as equals. It's a social apparatus designed to supress a demographic a people. This is what bald people are dealing with to a different degree... a socially constructed belief system that is taught and learned and kept alive... and the message is bald people are inferior. Now, as a bald man go out into a world that not only believes but practices this message

JZA70

Banned
Reaction score
You should all stop arguing with dreamermerlin. He seems to suffer from some sort of mental illness.