Are Minoxidil’s effects on skin permanent?

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been using rogaine for around a year now and don’t have any face sides like wrinkles or bags, but I’m thinking about starting oral minoxidil. If I do notice sides like premature aging and stop, do they reverse?

Can I take collagen supplements to proactively fight it?

jazz1

Reaction score
You will be fine, your body will adjust just don’t worry you could derma roll your face and apply collagen serums.

Justheretohelp3

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think there's any evidence that minoxidil causes wrinkles. People cite a study on rats and a cell culture but those two things are totally different than in a HUMAN BODY.

I dont know why people would take oral minoxidil. Are doctors actually prescribing that? Isn't that a blood pressure pill? Once you get on those pills, you have to wean off slowly.. you never stop heart pressure pills quickly. I'd be cautious myself taking that. Topical, not much risk.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been using rogaine for around a year now and don’t have any face sides like wrinkles or bags, but I’m thinking about starting oral minoxidil. If I do notice sides like premature aging and stop, do they reverse?

Can I take collagen supplements to proactively fight it?

It depends on your hormonal profile, just remember that oral collagen has a very sh*t systemic use rate as compared to your body producing and using its own. I would say no, unless your hormones suggest otherwise.

I have forehead lines from it which I am going to get treated with laser and my eyes never quite looked the same underneath after I tried it, they did improve somewhat but again it will depend on your hormonal profile.

My experience with minoxidil was enough to convince me that I would rather have my skin look nice than to use that as a mainstay for my hair.

Personally I'm now convinced that for men who don't respond well to minoxidil, the solution is going to have to be a very low dosage of estrogen, because

- estrogen is a vasodilator just like minoxidil

- estrogen is an anti-inflammatory

- estrogen directly antagonizes testosterone at the follicle level when topically applied

- estrogen when it goes systemic improves insulin production AND increases collagen production

The big strategy is going to be about finding out how much topical estrogen you can handle, while still getting beneficial results, one thing you can do is increase your methylation, esp taking betaine hcl as that directly increases the amount of estrogen you will process out of your body.

It's that whole "good effects in", "bad effects out" kind of thing.

Last edited:

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think there's any evidence that minoxidil causes wrinkles. People cite a study on rats and a cell culture but those two things are totally different than in a HUMAN BODY.

I dont know why people would take oral minoxidil. Are doctors actually prescribing that? Isn't that a blood pressure pill? Once you get on those pills, you have to wean off slowly.. you never stop heart pressure pills quickly. I'd be cautious myself taking that. Topical, not much risk.

I've had those sides, I've heard other people complain about it, I know one notable guy who talked about his massive FUE transplant tried minoxidil and quit due to developing fine lines which ceased advancing after stopping it.

TheZyzz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It depends on your hormonal profile, just remember that oral collagen has a very sh*t systemic use rate as compared to your body producing and using its own. I would say no, unless your hormones suggest otherwise.

I have forehead lines from it which I am going to get treated with laser and my eyes never quite looked the same underneath after I tried it, they did improve somewhat but again it will depend on your hormonal profile.

My experience with minoxidil was enough to convince me that I would rather have my skin look nice than to use that as a mainstay for my hair.

Personally I'm now convinced that for men who don't respond well to minoxidil, the solution is going to have to be a very low dosage of estrogen, because

- estrogen is a vasodilator just like minoxidil

- estrogen is an anti-inflammatory

- estrogen directly antagonizes testosterone at the follicle level when topically applied

- estrogen when it goes systemic improves insulin production AND increases collagen production

The big strategy is going to be about finding out how much topical estrogen you can handle, while still getting beneficial results, one thing you can do is increase your methylation, esp taking betaine hcl as that directly increases the amount of estrogen you will process out of your body.

It's that whole "good effects in", "bad effects out" kind of thing.

dude .. minoxidil isn't makes your skin bad if you don't let it touch your skin - simple as that.
You need to be careful to not use to much liquid/foam so it won't reach your face (that's why your forehead may be effected)
You need to stay away from your pillow for couple hours after applying it so no minoxidil will touch your pillow, which, you will touch with your face later on.
You need to avoid touching your face after applying it even if you washed your hands, because, why would you take the risk.

and that is all..
It can't really make your eyes "baggy" if it doesn't touch your eyes. Think about it, why would it make you look tired? It effects only the blood and the scalp.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dude .. minoxidil isn't makes your skin bad if you don't let it touch your skin - simple as that.
You need to be careful to not use to much liquid/foam so it won't reach your face (that's why your forehead may be effected)
You need to stay away from your pillow for couple hours after applying it so no minoxidil will touch your pillow, which, you will touch with your face later on.
You need to avoid touching your face after applying it even if you washed your hands, because, why would you take the risk.

and that is all..
It can't really make your eyes "baggy" if it doesn't touch your eyes. Think about it, why would it make you look tired? It effects only the blood and the scalp.

That is objectively not true, it goes systemic and will end up in your vascular system the closest parts to your scalp are your forehead thus it makes perfect sense that would happen.

I had horrible reactions from minoxidil thus I made especially sure none actually got on my forehead or on my undereye, so there's that overly simplistic explanation refuted.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never had any skin sides on topical or oral minoxidil. A good skincare regimen should be done regardless, retin-a/copper peptides, needling, collagen, MSM and Vitamin C supplements etc

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Never had any skin sides on topical or oral minoxidil. A good skincare regimen should be done regardless, retin-a/copper peptides, needling, collagen, MSM and Vitamin C supplements etc
I noticed in your regimen that you use spironolactone and n-acetyl cysteine. Are those at all effective for diffuse thinners? Not sure what both of those do. I think I remember you said you made the most gains from oral minoxidil and maybe dutasteride?

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, if topical minoxidil works for you. do yourself a favor and don't start oral. Aging effects do exist for some people and the probability is higher with oral as it goes systemic obv. In addition, you are very likely to grow more hair everywhere on your face and body. But more importantly, I would stay away because of its impact on your heart, it is not likely that you will feel anything at the beginning but honestly why risk it? I quit after 3 months because my heartfelt felt discomfort for a week straight and very bad facial bloatedness. It is for sure not placebo. Again if topical works, stick to it bro.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a disease related to collagen and my doctor was very clear that I shouldn't be using it

Equal Rights

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok you know what. I just remembered that my dad had two heart attacks and his dad died from a heart attack. Probably should have thought of this before starting lol.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, if topical minoxidil works for you. do yourself a favor and don't start oral. Aging effects do exist for some people and the probability is higher with oral as it goes systemic obv. In addition, you are very likely to grow more hair everywhere on your face and body. But more importantly, I would stay away because of its impact on your heart, it is not likely that you will feel anything at the beginning but honestly why risk it? I quit after 3 months because my heartfelt felt discomfort for a week straight and very bad facial bloatedness. It is for sure not placebo. Again if topical works, stick to it bro.
Lol I’ve definitely noticed the hair on my arms get thicker. I’m not sure if that’s because at 24 you can technically just get hairier or it’s the minoxidil. The real why I’m considering oral minoxidil is because it’s pretty effective for diffuse thinners. I just don’t want to deal with skin issues. I’m less worried about heart problems because it doesn’t run in my family fortunately.

el_duterino

Reaction score
the effect on skin depends on age, younger guys won't notice much, but for older guys with less collagen to start with its real, but not permanent