Are Hair System The Answer? What Is The Feedback

Tommy Reynolds

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m balding at the crown and I’m 25. I’ve been using topix or whatever and it’s good it “hides” it but I’m sick of doing that everyday and worry about it. My dad has a hair system and he has since his 20s and honestly Nobody knows!!! None of my friend suspect it at all or would even believe me. No cousins, nobody can tell.

I am worried about people find out by touching my hair though.

But what is the feedback. People who have it was it the answer to balding? Get a hair topper and call it a day? Go to a salon every two weeks and have a new one out on and that’s it? If you’ve been using one what do you think do people know? Are you happy with it? Can if come off?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. People should not be "touching your hair", as a general rule. But, the hair feels like natural hair, just touching the base can give it up. But, why would people be rubbing your head?

2. Answer? Maybe, it really depends on how much you have lost, and where? You are lucky, your dad is there to help you through this.

3. You don't need to get a new system every two weeks. A good system can last six months, or more, depending on base, hair type, etc. Two units, in which you switch every removal and application will extend the life of both. Some guys wear for a month at a time, but most guys do 1-2 weeks. You can learn to remove, and clean, and re-attach yourself, you don't need a salon.

4. It only comes off, if I take it off. Wind, pulling, etc, won't do it.

5. I am extremely happy with it. People who met me after, have no idea unless I tell them, and then they go "no way", this includes professional hair people.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. People should not be "touching your hair", as a general rule. But, the hair feels like natural hair, just touching the base can give it up. But, why would people be rubbing your head?

2. Answer? Maybe, it really depends on how much you have lost, and where? You are lucky, your dad is there to help you through this.

3. You don't need to get a new system every two weeks. A good system can last six months, or more, depending on base, hair type, etc. Two units, in which you switch every removal and application will extend the life of both. Some guys wear for a month at a time, but most guys do 1-2 weeks. You can learn to remove, and clean, and re-attach yourself, you don't need a salon.

4. It only comes off, if I take it off. Wind, pulling, etc, won't do it.

5. I am extremely happy with it. People who met me after, have no idea unless I tell them, and then they go "no way", this includes professional hair people.

You have lace or poly?

Noah

Reaction score
IMG_1129.PNG

Hi Tommy

The short answer is it's worth trying, and you won't know till you've tried it. It's fairly cheap, pretty instantaneous, painless, harmless, wholly reversible, and if you do it right it looks great. You're not curing your baldness, you're just covering it up. BUT the cover-up is so effective that for most practical purposes it's almost as good as a cure. The technology is so good now that it looks and feels very much like having your hair back, so the biggest remaining consideration is the famous 'stigma' of being found out to be wearing prosthetic hair - that's the factor that is hard to judge till you've tried it. There are only 2 strategies for dealing with it - be open and brazen it out (which I think is becoming more common), or make sure the system is undetectable so that the stigma doesn't apply. Most guys use both approaches in different combinations.

Do you talk to your father about his system? What does he say about you getting one?

If you do go the system route, by all means use a salon to get you started, but I would strongly recommend that you learn how to do the maintenance yourself so that you are independent.

When you say "people find out by touching my hair" I assume you're talking about dates and partners? If you wear a fine lace system, the base is a very delicate, gauzy sheer material. I am attaching a pic of my spare unit sitting on my hand. You can see how insubstantial the base is. I think you can easily understand how, if that base material were embedded in a thin layer of glue, it would disappear and be pretty much imperceptible to the touch. And that is what in fact happens. By themselves, these lace units are very hard to see or feel. The vulnerability comes if it doesn't fit properly and there is a wrinkle (especially at the hairline), or if you don't get it in the right place so that there is a ridge or a gap where it is overlapping or underlapping with your biohair, or if you add a polythene rim around the back of the system (which makes taping and clean-up easier, but renders the system much more detectable to the touch). But if you get a good fitting all lace system, and you take care putting it on, it is 95% undetectable to the touch; maybe 99%. It's really up to you whether you are willing to put in the effort to get it undetectable. If you are in the dating market there is a big incentive to do so. Personally I have been wearing the fine lace units about 4 years and have never had my unit spotted by a date or a sex partner (or anyone, so far as I am aware).

And no, they can't "come off". The adhesives are very strong - they have to be soaked off with alcohol.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
No, for a myriad of reasons, climate (it's really hot here, 32º, just today), I also tend to perspire, so need something that breaths. I also don't like the short longevity. For the price I pay, and the hair length, I need something that will last.

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why you'd get a poly, unless its around the back and sides like I have. Its just not breathable and given my profession and the fact that I just like to stay active, you need a lace system. I've only ever had a lace system however I have no issues with it. Detect-ability really varies on experience like Noah says. Just make your life easy in the beginning and have down styled hair cut in the short term. Get more courageous as you master the hairline. It does take time. I just started dabbling with attaching via glue, and im still tweaking. Every re-do of my hairline gets better and better, so it's just a matter of practice.

That plus the killer advice on these forums, has helped me and others tremendously.

BaldAndBalder

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why you'd get a poly, unless its around the back and sides like I have. Its just not breathable and given my profession and the fact that I just like to stay active, you need a lace system. I've only ever had a lace system however I have no issues with it. Detect-ability really varies on experience like Noah says. Just make your life easy in the beginning and have down styled hair cut in the short term. Get more courageous as you master the hairline. It does take time. I just started dabbling with attaching via glue, and im still tweaking. Every re-do of my hairline gets better and better, so it's just a matter of practice.

That plus the killer advice on these forums, has helped me and others tremendously.

Its less detectable, isn't it?

matt0135

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Its less detectable, isn't it?

I think that's up for debate, however I am and many others here are proponents of lace systems, at least at the front. I think maintenance wise a poly perimeter and lace front & middle is the best option, as I can leave the poly bonded EASILY for 4 weeks+, I redo every 3-4 weeks for hygiene.

I see more potential for a lace system to be undetectable, whereas the poly would be hard to get rid of the hard line that it produces at the end of the system. Your attachment has to be impeccable. I've never experienced it so I can't say for sure. I would never be able to go to poly as I don't like the idea of it, and I am very active in the gym so it just doesn't fit my criteria.