Ar more men going bald at a younger age?

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: re:

chewbaca said:
take the case of Japan, and china, over there their diet mainly consist of seafood...they also do have moden processed food, but certainly i see people over there balding too......

This is exactly why I believe that your diet can have some influence in your hair loss, even if it's a little. I've read a couple of texts which said that hair loss in Japan has been increasing since WW2, because they've incorporated a more 'western type' of diet. An example:

Japanese research may cover these topics but also is more likely to cover the increase in sebum (scalp oil) production caused by DHT in the scalp, and the increase of Pityrosporon ovale, a pathogenic yeast which has been linked to dandruff and eczema, and which feeds off of sebum. Issues related to diet are also more likely to be covered. Possibly this is because male pattern baldness has increased very sharply in Japan since the end of World War II along with an increase in fatty foods and average height, focusing public attention on various lifestyle differences. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_loss

I agree that the genetics issue is the predominant and most important, but there's no doubt that other factors can have some influence.

powersam

Reaction score
you might find this interesting. my father 4 of his brothers are bald and a bit tubby in the midsection. The only brother who isn't bald has coeliac disease which stops him from absorbing food, ie/ he's basically starving most of the time. Type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance run in our family, hence my suspicion that my baldness may be connected to elevated insulin levels

outgrowth

Established Member
Reaction score
PowerSam said:
you might find this interesting. my father 4 of his brothers are bald and a bit tubby in the midsection. The only brother who isn't bald has coeliac disease which stops him from absorbing food, ie/ he's basically starving most of the time. Type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance run in our family, hence my suspicion that my baldness may be connected to elevated insulin levels
Dude, I've already read serious studies (I think it was here in the forum, more than a year ago) showing a strong correlation between insulin disorders and male pattern baldness, and also prostate hyperplasia.

powersam

Reaction score
well word to your mother my brother. anecdotally, was on avodart for 1.5 yrs and saw maintenance. have switched to propecia and also gone on a diet designed by a nutritionist to minimise those problems insulin might cause, am now seeing regrowth. but due to the 3-4 products im using, who knows whats actually causing it... the whole hobos have hair thing supports this idea though i guess

GotMyHairBack

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is a very interesting discussion -I need to give this a bump- I notice a big change too, noticed it since this thread was created and it looks like nowadays it has worsened and all. When I compare today to the eighties when I was growing up, I remember all the glam rock and poofy Martin Riggs-hairstyles that were very common during that time. Where did that all go? Don't tell me that was only a fad, and all of them used bottles of hairspray and other hair care products to create the illusion of having more hair. Back in the day most of us wanted to look like bon jovi and most of us had the hair thickness and hair length to try that! Also when I look at movies and music videos from the eighties and seventies it seems that notable less young men have the same problems as today. When I look around me I see almost none left with long hair, rarely do I see a young man with a full head of hair let alone big long shoulder length locks. Instead I see hordes of men with the same hole in the back of their heads. That is usually how I describe balding crowns. And hair loss is increasingly starting at a younger age. Checked some threads here and the first few pages contained fourteen year olds with hair loss problems and receding hair lines. If that isn't proof then I don't know what is. When I was an adolescent my hair was still developing, I gained more follicles and the hairs were getting thicker. At fourteen it is simply not the time for hair loss.

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
look at photos of your grandpa and 60's TV. everyone back then had very decent hair up till their old years.

All the baldites back then were in caves mining and doing factory monkey work.

We think it's bad now but pesky liberal acceptance means they at least have to let us see light, even if they don't want it.

Raphael13

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems like I see so many men going bald before they turn 30, but it "seems" as if this was not the case years ago. Has this been the case in your opinions (especially the older dudes here); I do not have the time to look myself right now but does anyone know of any scientific background on this; am I just noticing more bald guys because I am balding; I know farmers and ranchers are using more and more growth stimulators with their animals, is this increase in testosterone in the things we eat (cows and pigs) and the things we drink (milk) causing men to bald earlier because of the increased testosterone. Any thoughts.

Do you mean literally bald, or as starting to lose hair, before 30?

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
or is it because we're just starting to pay more attention now.

GotMyHairBack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting article, only about four months old
https://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/...-highest-balding-rate-in-the-world-605678/12/

#11 Russia 33.29%
Plausible. Although Russia is huge, I have seen countless bald, balding or men with shaven heads. Also lots of young men with balding symptoms around temples and crown.
#10 Canada 37.94%
Have visited almost all major cities and never noticed really
#09 Holland 37.93%
Absolutely the truth. I go there very often and most of 30+ are balding, 20+ even, every news reporter seems bald, almost everyone on telly. Not surprised the rate is so high. Maybe Holland can be considered no 2 since it has a lower population around 17 million.
#08 Poland 38.84%
Have seen lots of bald guys there especially younger men. Sometimes it is hard to tell because lots of young men shave their head especially in the northwest. Have been to lots of districts and cities though
#07 Italy 39.01%
Have been a couple of times and I always thought that the Italians were those with heads full of hair, maybe because of italian life style but when I was there the first time it was hard to believe that it was not true. Lots of bald, balding, especially the older men. Young guys always seem to have facial hair as a solution to their balding problems.
#06 US 39.04%
Hard to tell because there are more ethnic groups and some, like africans or middle-easterners always seemed to have shaven heads?
#05 UK 39.23%
Surprised they aren't no 1 as I have seen countless bald and balding men of all ages. I have been to most cities and I personally think it was the worst in Belfast. It was sometimes hard to guess ages because it made them look older.
#04 France 39.24%
Dunno, France doesn't appeal that much to me and I usually go elsewhere. Sorry
#03 Germany 41.24%
Same with Germany, didn't know the rate was this high
#02 Spain 42.60%
Not so shocking, I go to Spain a lot and it is one of those countries that give me the feeling that just about everyone is bald. Especially everyone above 40. Lots of men don't shave which I assume is to camouflage their balding problems.
#01 Czech Republic 42.79%
Another country I don't visit so often, surprised it is no 1.

On the other hand, I noticed a lot more guys with hair or long hair in Austria and the Nordic countries. Maybe this is explicable? Scandinavia has more heavy metal culture than other countries with long-haired band members.

I do have to add that I have also observed the men in other countries like Taiwan,Korea and Japan. Hair loss almost seemed to be very rare over there.

Last edited:

Finasterguy

My Regimen
Reaction score
As an opinion I would say yes. My moms side of the family has zero hair loss and my dads sides has some. My dad didn’t start losing his hair till his late 40s and I started losing mine when I was 19 (I am 29 now). I’ve thought this same thing though, I think it might have to do with what’s in our food and environment I think may play a role in why we might be losing our hair at younger ages. All just opinion.

Okk6281

My Regimen
Reaction score
another reason for hair loss in men may be using aggressive shampoo's, and washing your hair too often.
Ever notice that most homeless men are NOT bald so it has mostly to do with the fact that alot of todays shampoos are too aggressive for men.