Apple Polyphenols

Jacob

Reaction score
The first two links I posted did list procyanidins.

But Blood of the Dragon/Sangre de Drago may be even better? :dunno:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20328&view=next

Studies have shown that procyanidins are the major constituents of Sangre de Drago (~90% of dried weight),several of which have been characterized as novel proanthocyanidins compounds

Sangre de grado resin or sap is a storehouse of phytochemicals including proanthocyanidins (antioxidants), simple phenols, diterpenes, phytosterols, and biologically active alkaloids and lignans Scientists have attributed many of the biologically active properties of the sap (especially its wound-healing capacity) to two main "active" constituents: an alkaloid named taspine, and a lignan named dimethylcedrusine

"The main plant chemicals in sangre de grado include: alpha-calacorene, alpha-copaene, alpha-pinene, alpha-thujene, beta-caryophyllene, beta-elemene, beta-pinene, betaine, bincatriol, borneol, calamenene, camphene, catechins, cedrucine, crolechinic acid, cuparophenol, D-limonene, daucosterol, dihydrobenzofuran, dimethylcedrusine, dipentene, eugenol, euparophenol, gallocatechin, gamma-terpinene, gamma-terpineol, hardwickiic acid, isoboldine, korberin A & B, lignin, linalool, magnoflorine, methylthymol, myrcene, norisoboldine, p-cymene, proanthocyanidins, procyanidins, resin, tannin, taspine, terpinen-4-ol, and vanillin.

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
Jacob said:
The first two links I posted did list procyanidins.

But Blood of the Dragon/Sangre de Drago may be even better? :dunno:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20328&view=next

Studies have shown that procyanidins are the major constituents of Sangre de Drago (~90% of dried weight),several of which have been characterized as novel proanthocyanidins compounds

[quote:1i0ucvg7]Sangre de grado resin or sap is a storehouse of phytochemicals including proanthocyanidins (antioxidants), simple phenols, diterpenes, phytosterols, and biologically active alkaloids and lignans Scientists have attributed many of the biologically active properties of the sap (especially its wound-healing capacity) to two main "active" constituents: an alkaloid named taspine, and a lignan named dimethylcedrusine

"The main plant chemicals in sangre de grado include: alpha-calacorene, alpha-copaene, alpha-pinene, alpha-thujene, beta-caryophyllene, beta-elemene, beta-pinene, betaine, bincatriol, borneol, calamenene, camphene, catechins, cedrucine, crolechinic acid, cuparophenol, D-limonene, daucosterol, dihydrobenzofuran, dimethylcedrusine, dipentene, eugenol, euparophenol, gallocatechin, gamma-terpinene, gamma-terpineol, hardwickiic acid, isoboldine, korberin A & B, lignin, linalool, magnoflorine, methylthymol, myrcene, norisoboldine, p-cymene, proanthocyanidins, procyanidins, resin, tannin, taspine, terpinen-4-ol, and vanillin.
[/quote:1i0ucvg7]

LOL, more OPCs does not = better. It is the particular form that is important along with other qualities.

Jacob

Reaction score
So then what IS the comparison? What is in..say..Chocamine compared to Blood of the Dragon?

BOTD seems to have some unique ones others don't..but maybe that can be said of cacao/Chocamine or the others mentioned in this thread as well.

riptiduh

Reaction score
Yea Jacob, I remember reading one of your posts on Blood of the Dragon, can't find it though..was a while back if I recall.

purecontrol said:
LOL, more OPCs does not = better. It is the particular form that is important along with other qualities.

Purecontrol, you drive me up a friggin wall man lol

*takes deep controlling breath

What is the particular OPC that is most effective?

*takes another deep controlling breath

purecontrol

Established Member
Reaction score
riptiduh said:
Yea Jacob, I remember reading one of your posts on Blood of the Dragon, can't find it though..was a while back if I recall.

purecontrol said:

Purecontrol, you drive me up a friggin wall man lol

*takes deep controlling breath

What is the particular OPC that is most effective?

*takes another deep controlling breath

Read through the apple poly studies, they talked about how the B-2 or C-2 (can't remember which one) was more effective than the main one in apple poly. Apple poly had a little bit but not enough. I will go through it when I return from vacation.

riptiduh

Reaction score
Here is the Applypoly study:
http://www.applepolyphenols.com/docs/Pr ... lished.pdf

Various things that stood out to me:

Structure: We assembled a collection
of 136 pharmaceutically usable plants
and edible plants, and divided each
plant into several sections such as
leaves, roots, seeds and fruit. We then
applied solvent extraction to the
samples: first by chloroform, then by
methanol, and finally by hot water. In all,
we prepared more than 1,000 plant
extracts.
We examined those extracts for their
growth-promoting activity on hair
epithelial cells, and found about 150%
growth-promoting activity relative to
controls in a methanol extract from
grape seeds. We subjected the grape
seed (Chardonnay variety) extract
(using 70% (v/v) methanol) to HP-20
column chromatography. The 60% (v/v)
methanol-eluted active fraction was then
subjected to reverse phase ODS
preparative HPLC, and we found activity
in the 30% (v/v) methanol-eluted
fraction. Analyses combining tannase
decomposition9 and toluene-?-thiol
decomposition10 revealed the active
components to be proanthocyanidins
(Figure 1) whose components were
catechin and epicatechin with the
characteristics shown in Table 1.
Hair-growth stimulation in vitro: We
demonstrated the hair-growth-promoting
activities of a mixture of
proanthocyanidins purified from grape
seeds at various concentrations in a cell
culture system using murine hair
epithelial cells. These cells were
isolated from C3H/HeNCrj micea dorsal
skin and cultured in MCDB 153
medium11 according to the method
reported by Tanigaki et al.12 with
suitable modifications described in
another report.8 Dermal fibroblasts were
obtained from the EDTA-trypsin-treated
dermis of C3H/HeNCrj mice and cultured in a DMEM medium. For comparison purposes, we ran the
same tests on (–)-epicatechin and minoxidil. Epicatechin is a monomeric unit of proanthocyanidins. We
examined the growth-promoting activity of (–)-epicatechin to confirm whether hair-growing activity is
associated with oligomeric structure of proanthocyanidins.
At optimal concentration, proanthocyanidins purified from grape seeds promote the proliferation of murine
hair epithelial cells at about 230% relative to controls. Minoxidil was less effective in this cell culture
system, with a proliferative activity of about 160% at optimal concentration

Procyanidins
Following our experiments with proanthocyanidins, we isolated several procyanidins from apples and
barley husks as single compounds in purified form and examined their hair-growing activity. Procyanidin
B-2 [epicatechin-(4 ?Ø8)-epicatechin]
and procyanidin C-1 [epicatechin-
(4?Ø8)-epicatechin-(4?Ø8)-
epicatechin] (Figure 3) were obtained
from apple juice according to the
method described elsewhere.8 Our
results identified procyanidin B-2
purified from apples to be a powerful
stimulant that promotes hair epithelial
cell growth more than 300% relative
to controls.
Hair-growth stimulation in vitro: We
demonstrated the hair-growthpromoting
activities of procyanidin B-
2 and procyanidin C-1 purified from
apples at various concentrations in a
cell culture system using murine hair
epithelial cells. These cells were
isolated and cultured as described
above. For comparison purposes, we
ran the same test on (–)-epicatechin.
Of the proanthocyanidin species we
isolated and whose activity we
examined, procyanidin B-2 purified
from apples shows the highest activity
of more than 300% relative to controls
at a concentration of 30 ?M. The peak
activity of procyanidin C-1 was lower
than that of procyanidin B-2; however,
its activity at lower concentrations
exceeds that of procyanidin B-2. On
the other hand, (–)-epicatechin, a
flavan-3-ol unit comprising
procyanidins, exhibits minimal activity
(Figure 4). The growth of dermal
fibroblasts from mice and dermal
papilla cells from rats (data not shown
in either case) was not affected by
either procyanidin B-2 or procyanidin
C-1 in the concentration range
examined (0.01-100 ?M).
Hair-growth stimulation in vivo: We
demonstrated the hair-growthpromoting
activities of procyanidin B-2
and procyanidin C-1 in an in vivo assay that measured induction of the anagen phase in C3H/HeSlc
miceb with reference to the method of Hattori and Ogawa.13 We prepared three topical formulations: two
of which contain procyanidins of different degrees of polymerization (procyanidin B-2 or procyanidin C-1)
and one of which contains minoxidil. Vehicle without procyanidins or minoxidil was used as the control.
New Health & Longevity Special Report - P a g e 5 - http://www.applepoly.com/pb2
The group to which 1% procyanidin B-
2 had been applied showed an
extensive growth area of 69.6% ±
21.8% (average ± SD); the group to
which 1% procyanidin C-1 had been
applied showed an extensive growth
area of 78.3% ± 7.6% (average ± SD);
the group to which 1% minoxidil had
been applied showed an extensive
growth area of 81.2% ± 10.5%
(average ± SD). On the other hand,
the control group to which vehicle was
applied showed little hair growth:
about 40% (41.7% ± 16.3%, average
± SD) of the shaven area was covered
with hair (Figure 5). These results
demonstrate that procyanidin
oligomers, such as procyanidin B-2 or
pro-cyanidin C-1, possess marked
hair-growing activity by inducing the
anagen phase in vivo.

Conclusion
In murine models, we have
demonstrated that procyanidin
oligomers intensively promote hair
epithelial cell growth. We believe they
stimulate hair growth by activating
telogen hair follicles and causing the
follicular hair cycle to revert to the
anagen phase from the telogen
phase.
In a clinical trial over 6 months, we
showed that topical treatment with
procyanidin B-2 significantly increased
the number of hairs (total, non-vellus,
terminal) compared to treatment with
a control. The active treatment also
increased the ratio of non-vellus hairs
(hairs > 40 ?m in diameter) and
terminal hairs (hairs > 60 ?m in
diameter), compared to treatment with
a control.
Our tests have confirmed that topical procyanidin B-2 is safe and effective in curing male pattern

So what does this study say about Chocamine and Blood of the Dragon?

It says that if the product carries high amounts of Procyanidin B-2 that it will be a little more effective topically than minoxidil.

Edit*

Ok, now it is your guys' turn. Research, call, email these companies to find out the amount of Procyanidin B-2 in these products and find other products that contain high amounts of this anti-oxidant....please :)

This could be huge because people that make strong formulations of Procyanidin B-2 could drop minoxidil all together.

VoteForPedro

Reaction score
WAIT GUYS!!!!!! ALL OF YOU....BEFORE YOU ORDER THE STUFF (ApplePoly) which is NOT cheap...PLEASE read MY post about it...not saying it's bad or doesn't work...but i have just a FEW doubts...i've been on it for just a little bit, but am on the fence now...HERE is the thread i created (called "Applepoly...?") that no one replied to...ENJOY...and i hope this not only helps ME...but also helps YOU, too:

"Hello, hello, hello!

this is my first post and i JUST joined minutes ago...hm...anyway, i started taking Apple Poly. it offers pills AND a topical. Both are 100% organic and natural and have no side effects....it's like eating a lot of apple peels...but in pill form. BUT...i am on the fence about this one. i'm both optimistic, and skeptical in regards to Apple Poly. here are reasons i have doubts: in a YouTube video that JacobHealth posted (how i learned about it), he insists that he's not getting paid by them to promote this, yet he's SO well spoken...almost as if he's a bit too rehearsed; secondly, he censors people's comments on the video (i asked why the topical is so damn messy--it really IS!!!!); to add to Jacob's deception, his Before and After pictures are not so different from each other...the change is MINIMAL if anything...but it just looks like he combed his hair differently or something...in addition, the package you order comes with a lot of printed out info...one bit of news (which i have not experienced thus far, and i've been taking it for three or four months now) is...it gives you a "boost" and trims down your fat content...i have NOT seen this positive "side-effect" ;and the last discouraging thing is...i saw on some post (maybe of this site or another) that the SAME Before and After picture on the ApplePoly site is on ANOTHER site for ANOTHER supplement. but i have not seen this other site.

But why am i hopeful? because it IS natural, and on top of that...many scientific discoveries in hair loss show that Poly-phenols actually DO help (they at least prevent further hair loss); because i have seen SOME difference in the quality of my hair...i THINK...and maybe less is falling out; and because they say one must have patience. SO...i am-despite my reservations to fully support this product (YES, it IS pricey)...i STILL am hopeful. BUT once again...i'm on the fence.

SO... What do you think of--if anything--of Apple Poly?

here are some relevant links:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JacobHealth
http://applepoly.com/

PLEASE let me know if you think i got ripped off...or if it might be in my head. Thanks so much, ladies and gents.

Cheers,

VFP "

Mothman

Reaction score
Hey man, long time reader first time poster, actually your the reason i joined, i really would like to know how apple poly is treating you the spray and the capsules, could you please give me an update

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
he either cured his hairloss or life intervened and he was forced to stop spending his time posting about it online, probably the latter. chances are he wont be back.

Berserk

Reaction score
I've been using Revigen for a week now and I've been having really sore eyes and bad headaches. I've used apple polyphenols in the past and they all caused the same side effects. I've been using Minoxidil for years now and I would like to stop using since it's caused my skin to look terrible. I want to use a different growth stimulant, but I'm not sure what to use. Has anyone else had side effects like that?