Anyway To Know Whether Finasteride Will Have A Worse Effect On Your Hair.. Before You Take It?

Jonomor

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m seeing a lot of testimonies of guys that have taken it and been worse off.. wispy thin hair etc, loosing a passably good head of hair.

Well that’s where I’m at now... I have an ok head of hair.. but it’s thinning and you can see a decline in hair quality where I use minoxidil (used it for years.. hair has gone horrible over time)

So I’m concerned about starting finasteride should it ruin the good hair I have left and I’m wondering if there’s is any sort of tests or anything that can be done to forecast this..?

Thanks guys

shidoin

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m seeing a lot of testimonies of guys that have taken it and been worse off.. wispy thin hair etc, loosing a passably good head of hair.

Well that’s where I’m at now... I have an ok head of hair.. but it’s thinning and you can see a decline in hair quality where I use minoxidil (used it for years.. hair has gone horrible over time)

So I’m concerned about starting finasteride should it ruin the good hair I have left and I’m wondering if there’s is any sort of tests or anything that can be done to forecast this..?

Thanks guys
Minoxidil doesn't stop hairloss! Finasteride and dutasteride can slow it down and reverse miniaturizing. It's a treatment not a cure. You will probably go into a dred shed. You can freak out and post false things like many on this forum or ride it out and wait until it starts working. It may take up to a year or more

Baldingbob123456

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m currently in a doctorate program for physical therapy and have a degree in exercise science, so I’m pretty well versed in the medical field. Tbh, I don’t think it’s fair to blame finasteride or minoxidil on hairloss. I have not studied this and I’m not an expert so this logical progression is strictly my opinion. I know there are countless examples of people who complain that the two made their hair loss worse, but you have to wonder, was it really the drug to blame or just their natural course of hair loss and more of a drug resistance sort of deal? Let me explain. I strongly believe that there are some people who are just straight up meant to be bald. It’s so strongly coded in their genes that no amount of drugs or transplants will fix them. These are the people who rapidly start balding at onset of puberty and are completely bald at or before 20. In theory, at least for propecia, it should only HELP hairloss because it inhibits most of the hormone reaponsible for it. How much it helps is subjective and a lot goes into that but it should only help so at least some degree. I think in these cases where it reportedly “speed up the process” or “made it worse” are simply cases of people who were already highly destined to be bald in the first place and just started rapidly balding as they were genetically inclined to do, but incidentally happened to start hairloss treatment at the same time so they blamed the drug. You say you have a “decline in quality where you use minoxidil”. Ask yourself, is this decline in quality because of the minoxidil or is decline in quality because of my genes and the location is subsequently the location of application? Basically is it the chicken before the egg. I suspect that you have a decline in quality there simply because that’s the place you are balding. Minoxidil isn’t causing that, it’s helping, but the net affect is still a decline because you are genetically predisposed to bald there. finasteride will only help your hairloss. If you do see a “decline” or “rapid loss” after taking the drug, it wouldn’t be from the drug but rather your natural balding process simply over powering it.

Pixie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pascalps wager:

Take finasteride, either you save your hair or go bald.

Don't take finasteride, you'll go bald either way

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Finasteride doesn't cause hair loss, no evidence that it does but anecdotal, which is basically no evidence.