Anyone with Polycystic Ovaries and Hairloss?????

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
as I sit here and try to figure out what factors are contributing to my hairloss....I was wondering if anyone else has had experience with Polycystic Ovaries and Hairloss???

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if I am or not. I was told I had PCOS about the same time I was dx with hypothyroidism. A lot of the symptoms actually overlap, and I'm not sure.

I do have a bit of facial hair along my chin line. I am unfortunately experiencing awful hairloss along my top, hairline and sides very badly.

But my glucose and insulin levels are fine. I don't suffer from infertility. And so I'm confused and just don't know. I'm seeing an endo in August who can hopefully set me straight.

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Sad Mom, has anyone told you that hypothyrodism is a major cause of hairloss???? Are you taking medication for it? Sometimes it takes several months to balance out the hypothyroidism, but once it balances out, your hairloss will stop. Hypothyroidism can also be cause by estrogen/progesterone imbalances--which would be very likely if your body went through giving birth.

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm taking medication for it, and just had it increased a month ago. I know it can cause hairloss... however, my thyroid has been low before, and never had that problem. I am having it followed as a potential cause all the same. I wish it were the thyroid, that could be fixed more easily than androgen problems.

Also, I have just noticed that my 6 years younger sister has very thin hair, in fact missing hair on her vertex. Plus, pretty thin on top.. which probably suggests some family history or androgen problems the liklier cause.

Maybe it's my hairstyle, being a one length bob. But I'm thinner all over, just especially getting thin to balding on top, sides, and hairline. With my luck, I'm having multiple causes and types :hairy:

What I'm trying to figure out, is if my thyroid isn't functioning optimally... can that cause estrogen/progesterone imbalances?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely, estro levels can affect thyroid levels and vice versa. Check out this article I just read, it's pretty interesting. You need to scroll for a while to get to the thyroid section, but it's well worth it.

http://www.keephope.net/j20031.html

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Sad Mom,
how long ago did you have your baby??? When did you say your appt was with your Endo???

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
lol...sorry Sad Mom...I caught the August part just now for your endo appt. I'm sure that increasing the hormones for your thyroid hasn't helped in your hairloss. Also...when did you have your baby??? With PCOS, I don't have the insulin resistance yet so my blood glucose is normal. A neat site to check out for /pcos is http://www.soulcysters.com. Another girl from this site referred it to me and it has been helpfull. Besides an endo....are you planning to see a dermatologist as well? Keep me posted

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm seeing an endo in August.... my baby was born on July 5th last year. I'm also going to see a better dermatologist. Supposedly one that has experience with female hairloss.

I do have a family history of the autoimmune problems and have just been reading about how that can cause hairloss over your whole body. In fact, I'm noticing that my eyebrows, legs, and even pubic areas have half the hair they used to. I have a bad feeling however, that I'm losing hair for more than one reason.. so I have two things going on. Because I have the allover thinning... and male pattern baldness type too.

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
well Sad Mom,
I think that the only way to truly narrow this one down is with bloodwork. You told me someone once told you you had pcos. Baldness runs in your family and also autoimmune problems. If you do have one or more of these conditions then yes it will be two things causing you to lose your hair. I hope you are pleasantly surprised after your doctors appts and its not something autoimmune or female pattern baldness. I keep hoping that is isn't heriditary for me either.....although....my mother informed me a couple of months ago that she is going bald too......ahhhh...I can't win.......but hang in there.....if the doctor can find a root to your problem.....then you'll will be treated accordingly. This website is truely wonderful for treatment options.....
talk to you soon,

SadMom

Established Member
Reaction score
Nothing like having 4 or 5 strikes against you, right? Ugh.. but I'm still hoping to find some answers. Actually, even with thyroid, PCOS, autoimmunity, etc... there are overlapping factors. So, in fact treating this might improve it all overall. That's what I'd like.

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Sad Mom...I wish you all the best. By being here, its a great start in educating yourself. I hope that you and the docs can narrow down all these factors to what might be causing your hair loss. You'll definitly have to keep me posted when you have your derm appt.....