Anyone Use Root Coverup Powder? I Would Like To Know Your Thoughts On It

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I got some,but I think the shade is a little too lite for my scalp. What it does is you use a root touch up powder that people use to cover their roots until they can dye their hair again and dab it in the front with a brush like its a sponge and it gives a very excellent undetectable hairline. no little holes from the lace showing even if you try looking up close. Its not cheap though, 22 bucks for a little plastic jar of it.

I ordered a shade darker, that should do the trick. It should be here on Saturday.

Noah

Reaction score
Interesting; I can't even envisage how that works. This is some kind of dye or darkening powder, right? I would have expected that to get on the lace and make the knots and the mesh more visible rather than less. That is what happens if you put Toppik near a system hairline. Could you perhaps elaborate, maybe with a photo or two of your hairline (before 'n' after the powder even)?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting; I can't even envisage how that works. This is some kind of dye or darkening powder, right? I would have expected that to get on the lace and make the knots and the mesh more visible rather than less. That is what happens if you put Toppik near a system hairline. Could you perhaps elaborate, maybe with a photo or two of your hairline (before 'n' after the powder even)?

No. it does not make them more noticeable. It hides the lace. I don't have pictures, but you can go to youtube and search "wig bleach knots alternative" I don't have any picture right now, I cant seem to take the picture. I need someone to do it for me. sorry

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
oh I forgot. I had it booked marked. here you go :

there are lots of little tips about hairpieces on youtube, mostly from women.

Fanjeera

Reaction score
you use it while it's attached? or off the head like the girl in the video? she makes it sound a lot more difficult though and uses more products than just one.

very nice method. i've been waiting for someone to come up with something like this

i see there are spray concealers as well. that wouldn't work, right?

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
she can do it off the head because she probably does not use tape or glues, I cant do it that way because I use tape and it wont stick. I take a cosmetics brush and sort of dab it through the hair hitting the lace and especially be careful of the front of the piece (I do that more detailed with a much smaller brush. I only use tape so whatever powder that stays on is probably getting the holding from the tape.

Then take a towel to get rid of excess powder. I like this method very much. I ordered dermablend powder in a shade that more matches my skin and am hoping for even better results.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
she can do it off the head because she probably does not use tape or glues, I cant do it that way because I use tape and it wont stick. I take a cosmetics brush and sort of dab it through the hair hitting the lace and especially be careful of the front of the piece (I do that more detailed with a much smaller brush). I only use tape so whatever powder that stays on is probably getting the holding from the tape.

Then take a towel to get rid of excess powder. I like this method very much. I ordered dermablend powder in a shade that more matches my skin and am hoping for even better results.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
well Gentlemen, the dermablend arrived today. Cant say it worked any better, I think I used too much and also the dermablend I ordered is not my skin color, too dark. Ill probably stick to the root cover up if I do it at all.

Another thing I noticed was the side was not blending that great. I had to use the thinning shears a little bit. This is by far the worst cut in I have ever had done. I think I mentioned this already, but the person who cuts it also sells pieces herself for about $1200 and I am not buying from her. One because that is a ridiculous price and two I have seen some of these pieces in the waiting room on guys wearing them and they look horrible! too much density, hairline only a couple inches about the eyebrows and their hair styles were so... I cant think of the word, but maybe sort of out of style and safe? If I had to wear that helmet look hairstyle I don't think I would even bother wearing a piece.

Noah

Reaction score
That is an interesting technique.

[pompous crap deleted, with apologies]

Last edited:

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That is an interesting technique. Have to say though (and I hope this doesn't come across as offensive to anyone) I am very resistant to anything that would make wearing a system into a feminising experience. There are those who would say that wearing a system in itself is a vain and unmasculine thing to do. I haven't found that. It is a male-oriented solution to a specifically masculine problem - male pattern baldness - and in my view perfectly compatible with the modern concept of masculinity, which allows for a guy to improve his appearance. Many of the great male icons of the past have worn a system. But having to start messing about with skin powder and foundation to get the thing to work would be a step too far for me. I am in my 30's now, so maybe the younger guys would be more relaxed about that.

TEG

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I understand what you mean and I was like that a little when I first started wearing. You can call it "system" or "hairpiece", but it really is still just a wig.

Noah

Reaction score
[pompous crap deleted, with apologies]

Last edited: