Anyone Take 6+ Months To Stop Losing Hair On Finasteride Or Dutasteride?

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Been taking dutasteride daily (1x avodart) for about 5 months now but still losing the same amount of hair. Have recently added 1.25mg generic finasteride daily.

Wondering if many people took longer than 6 months on either of those to stop having hair fall out?

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it took me several months for the shedding to stop after starting Dutasteride. It can take longer or shorter for others but should never go beyond 9 months which signifies you're a non responder. The continued shedding could mean the drug itself is stressing your body and causing a Chronic form of Telogen Effluvium to manifest.

I also wanted to add that Finasteride and Dutasteride do not stack together.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it took me several months for the shedding to stop after starting Dutasteride. It can take longer or shorter for others but should never go beyond 9 months which signifies you're a non responder. The continued shedding could mean the drug itself is stressing your body and causing a Chronic form of Telogen Effluvium to manifest.

I also wanted to add that Finasteride and Dutasteride do not stack together.
Hi Lacy,

Thanks for your response.

How many is several months?
And what do you mean by finasteride and duta do not stack together?

ForeverLacey

My Regimen
Reaction score
Generally when you take a DHT inhibitor it causes an abrupt change to your hormonal levels which can trigger a temporary and sometimes aggressive form of hair loss called telogen effluvium. This is the initial shed you hear many people speak of when starting these treatments. Most of the time it's an acute form which usually starts between a month to three months after starting your treatment. This form of hair loss lasts between two to four months and by then all forms of hair loss should cease. If you are still shedding heavily after that point it's possible that the treatment is causing a chronic form of Telogen Effluvium which means you are not a responder to that treatment. Continuing to use will only accelerate and not help your hail loss situation.

In regards to stacking Dutasteride and Finasteride. If you are taking the daily recommended dose of Dutasteride there shouldn't be enough 5AR in your system for Finasteride to bind to. You can however, add a lower dose of Dutasteride such as one or two pills a week for an additional boost. Anything more than 3 doses of Dutasteride a week will then push it over Finasteride's efficacy rendering it useless to even take.

Last edited:

alibaba92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Generally when you take a DHT inhibitor it causes an abrupt change to your hormonal levels which can trigger a temporary and sometimes aggressive form of hair loss called telogen effluvium. This is the initial shed you hear many people speak of when starting these treatments. Most of the time it's an acute form which usually starts between a month to three months after starting your treatment. This form of hair loss lasts between two to four months and by then all forms of hair loss should cease. If you are still shedding heavily after that point it's possible that the treatment is causing a chronic form of Telogen Effluvium which means you are not a responder to that treatment. Continuing to use will only accelerate and not help your hail loss situation.

In regards to stacking Dutasteride and Finasteride. If you are taking the daily recommended dose of Dutasteride there shouldn't be enough 5AR in your system for Finasteride to bind to. You can however, add a lower dose of Dutasteride such as one or two pills a week for an additional boost. Anything more than 3 doses of Dutasteride a week will then push it over Finasteride's efficacy rendering it useless to even take.

Been taking dutasteride daily (1x avodart) for about 5 months now but still losing the same amount of hair. Have recently added 1.25mg generic finasteride daily.

Wondering if many people took longer than 6 months on either of those to stop having hair fall out?

How many hairs per day are considered "Heavy" ?

Pnl

My Regimen
Reaction score

Maybe you could check my thread. i lost alot of hairs within 3 months of dutasteride. Is this telogen effluvium or is dutasteride killing my hair. I would appreciate it.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
How many are you shedding now ?

Tbh it changes each day depending on diet and whether ive been to the gym or not. But around 20 on a good day and 50 on a bad.

I dont know if its "shedding" though cos its always been around these numbers.

Just hit 5 months on dutasteride daily avodart so not sure if its gonna work or not.

What about you? And what are you using or taking?

Pnl

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems like i have the same problem to. I just want to wish you goodluck and i hope we will both regrow our hair back.
Kind regards