Anyone Stopped taking Finasteride???

aussiedavid

Reaction score
I have been taking Finasteride for the past 10 years and have decided to stop for a while. I was wondering what to expect.

My topical routine is:
-Xandrox 15% minoxidil on the hairline
-5% minoxidil on the rest
-Copper Peptides
-Needling
-Nizoral 2 % two nights/week. Neutrogena Coal Tar shampoo 5 nights/week.

Do you think my topical routine will be enough to stop my hair from shedding?

I am stopping finasteride to see if has any effects on my premature grey hair. I have found a few posts on other forums where people claim finasteride caused greying.

Pedro88

Reaction score
After 8 years I stopped finasteride for one year (with your topical routine) and my hair started to fall after 8 months. Now I am taking again.
I am 32 years old with some grey hairs since 28. I do not believe that finasteride has any effect on grey hair

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
somehow it seems doubtful it that finasteride would cause greying. most anecdotal accounts i've seen claim darkening, if anything. why not just dye it, if it bothers you?

aussiedavid

Reaction score
justin said:
somehow it seems doubtful it that finasteride would cause greying. most anecdotal accounts i've seen claim darkening, if anything. why not just dye it, if it bothers you?

One of the reasons I suspect it has caused premature greying is that I have two brothers close in age to me and neither has any grey hair. Neither of them has ever taken Finasteride. I just want to stop for a while and see what effect, if any, it has on my greying. As for dyeing it, that's an option, but I think dyes are probably harmful for hair. I'm really hoping that my topical program will keep things under control.

Mew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This has been discussed by others.

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums ... =6&t=15500

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.balds ... ff99803950

http://www.askdocweb.com/propecia25.html
Subj: Pubic hair changes
Date: 2/12/2005
I am a male 23 years old and have been taking propecia for the last 2 years. It has helped me keep the hair I have and reduced my hair loss. However the left side of my pubic hair has been going white and almost 40% of the pubic hair only on the left side are white while the right side is pitch black. could this be a side affect of propecia?

I honestly would not be concerned if all the pubic hair was going white but it is happening only on the left side and was wondering if you know why this may be happening. Thanx.
Amrita

For the record I also now have white/grey pubic hair on my scrotum, particularly the right side, since taking and discontinuing Finasteride from age 25-26.

justin

Established Member
Reaction score
Mew said:
This has been discussed by others.

http://www.regrowth.com/hairloss-forums ... =6&t=15500

http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.balds ... ff99803950

http://www.askdocweb.com/propecia25.html
Subj: Pubic hair changes
Date: 2/12/2005
I am a male 23 years old and have been taking propecia for the last 2 years. It has helped me keep the hair I have and reduced my hair loss. However the left side of my pubic hair has been going white and almost 40% of the pubic hair only on the left side are white while the right side is pitch black. could this be a side affect of propecia?

I honestly would not be concerned if all the pubic hair was going white but it is happening only on the left side and was wondering if you know why this may be happening. Thanx.
Amrita

For the record I also now have white/grey pubic hair on my scrotum, particularly the right side, since taking and discontinuing Finasteride from age 25-26.

Hahaha.

Optimistic

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Mew said:

You could try dying it.

Naltima

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 22, and have some pretty noticeable gray hair. I've never taken finasteride in my life, so I'm sure it has something to do with genetics or vitamin deficiency.

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
I noticed finasteride made my pubic hair a lot lighter and now there's a lot less of it...I'm not complaining,

sammo

Established Member
Reaction score
dont drop it because ur hair will go bye bye. im sure dying hair is much less risky to hair loss than stopping finasteride, dont think thats gonna ungrey ur hair.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I think anyone on hair loss treatments may get an increase in gray hairs not directly from the treatments but indirectly from worrying about how effective their hair loss treatments are on their hair. I think most people on this forum might not want to admit it but they are stressed dealing with this hair loss issue otherwise they would not be here. Stress only induces our body to possible have more hair loss and gray hairs. However, I do notice Asian and Hispanics do not go gray as quickly. I have friend who is over 50 years old and does not have any gray hairs or any gray hairs in his facial hair. He does not dye his hair either. Its just genetics. Just like hairloss, just genetics.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Genes definitely play a very large role in lots of things. Sometimes I have my doubts diet and many other things people spend all there time worrying about really make a large difference in the long run.

Cathexis

Reaction score
For what it's worth -

I'm 32 now I had been on Propecia for 8½ years. Around the age of 28, I was getting numerous comments about my grey hair, it wasn't a big deal then..I'd just dye it.

This past year I've been on Avodart and now my hair is 10 times more gray and my beard has become REALLY white too. Avodart and Propecia have been great for me, and I guess I can deal with the annoyiing hair whiting issues. But I know whithout a doudt that Propecia and Avodart have whitened my hair.

masculineyourheart

Established Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
However, I do notice Asian and Hispanics do not go gray as quickly. I have friend who is over 50 years old and does not have any gray hairs or any gray hairs in his facial hair. He does not dye his hair either. Its just genetics. Just like hairloss, just genetics.

Asian countries have a whole lot of treatments for grey hair, where we have one: hair dye.

I'd never worried about my hair going grey before, actually I thought it'd be cool to go grey prematurely with a full head of hair. It was when I was travelling in Asia and looking up hair loss treatments that methods for treating grey hair kept jumping out at me. Hair loss and greying seemed to go hand in hand over there. I guess it's more noticeable for them in amongst their pitch black hair.

Come to think of it, I noticed a lot of greying in young guys. I'd always end up watching some girl pulling out the grey hairs from her boyfriend's head while waiting in line for train tickets.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I do not think the Asians have come up with a successful treatment for gray hairs. The problem when your hair goes gray is you lose slight thickness in the hair shaft and then your hair looks thinner all over. If your hair is fine to begin with then that makes matters worse when it goes gray. I get mine professionally colored and it looks so natural that I even have women say they love my hair color. And when you get it colored your hair gets slightly thicker so psychologically it helps you when dealing with gray thinning hair. However if I could take some kind of herb and reverse it naturally I would rather do that. I tried Keratocyte and that never worked. She min does not work either.