Anyone Recover From Reflex Hyperandrogenicity??

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've had the exact same experience as you and the OP. The sudden extreme hair loss and other side-effects plus knowing that you would still have a perfectly fine head of hair if you never started finasteride is increasingly hard to deal with. Also because there's no way out. It has destroyed the quality of my life.
I feel your pain. When I started finasteride I had complete certainty that it would stop the very minor temple loss I had judging by all the positivity of finasteride I read online and what my dermatologist told me. But instead I was left with horrible shedding that has never stopped

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel your pain. When I started finasteride I had complete certainty that it would stop the very minor temple loss I had judging by all the positivity of finasteride I read online and what my dermatologist told me. But instead I was left with horrible shedding that has never stopped
Almost pointless to get a hair transplant at this point for me too since I know my entire head loses hair and I will probably
It truly sucks. I read you're contemplating trying finasteride again and also RU. I've tried both (on a cautiously low dose) and they only made things worse. Of course everyone's different and there's only one way to find out if it might benefit your case. But I'd say the 2 biggest mistakes in my life are 1) taking finasteride and 2) trying RU. Finasteride gave me perpetual diffuse shedding. RU added constant scalp pain and inflamed small bald spots on the sides of my scalp to that.
Where did you get your RU? And did you use the pre mixed solution or mixed the powder yourself. I have low expectations for RU but I might as well try it since my hair just gets worse by the day

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I bought the RU powder from the Kane Shop and mixed it with Kirkland 5% minoxidil. Good luck and if you experience scalp soreness in the first weeks after starting it then I'd advise you to stop using it.
Thanks for letting me know. I didnt buy mine from Kane and I dont plan on mixing mine with liquid Kirkland min. That brand minoxidil completely destroys my scalp.

I honestly want to try oral minoxidil, even Rogaine foam gives me scalp problems. Some transplant docs prescribe oral min after a transplant, that is why on some before and after pics of transplants peoples hair look completely darker and thicker on even the non transplanted areas. If you look at Hasson and Wongs transplant pics you will know what im talking about

Matt Rogers

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am a decent responder to topical minoxidil, been using 5% Kirkland for years. I've had absolutely amazing results with 15% Xandrox minoxidil from the late Dr. Richard Lee. It managed to regrow a lot of my lost hairs due to finasteride. But once that product went off the market nothing ever came close to replacing it and my results went down the drain again.
I've tried oral minoxidil, thinking that if I am a decent to good responder to the topical, it must be helpful. But it did absolutely nothing for my hair and made me feel and look like a zombie.
I believe minoxidilmax has a 15% solution and i also think Belgravia center in England has a 12.5%. For whatever reason Kirkland seems to make me shed a lot more, make my scalp itchy, and bloat the hell out of my face

trialAcc

My Regimen
Reaction score
It truly sucks. I read you're contemplating trying finasteride again and also RU. I've tried both (on a cautiously low dose) and they only made things worse. Of course everyone's different and there's only one way to find out if it might benefit your case. But I'd say the 2 biggest mistakes in my life are 1) taking finasteride and 2) trying RU. Finasteride gave me perpetual diffuse shedding. RU added constant scalp pain and inflamed small bald spots on the sides of my scalp to that.
How long were you actually on finasteride for? I had these same symptoms the first time I got on it but I rode out the diffuse shed and maintained for years. Every time I see these threads pop up about "reflex", 90% of the time the person says they quit well before the 1 year mark.

I'm not doubting that this can be a real thing for some people, I just think that the majority of people who insist they got it just quit mid shed and didn't wait the 1-2 years recommended to judge efficacy and their body didn't initially handle the change in hormones or increase in T very well. Another reason why I'm a big proponent of easing into finasteride rather then just taking the intended dose instantly.

Last edited:

maballack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've tried T/gel and nizoral, no luck. I used to have the inflammation/itch years ago before I started finasteride, so I'm assuming it's just a resumption of the Androgenetic Alopecia process. I'm open to topical steriods, I was going to actually call my GP to see if I could get a prescription while I let my hormones and regimen take hold again. I'm very surprised that treating inflammatory symptoms has not picked up more steam in the treatment communities. Seems like while DHT is the culprit of Androgenetic Alopecia, if you could eliminate or reduce inflammation you'd severely slow down loss.

The quick onset of it has brought me to threads like these, because I'm wondering if my symptoms are hyperandrogencity, and lets pray that it's temporary. Have you experienced at all?
Yes absolutely right,

The first combat is Inflammations and Oily Scalp.

I am having the exact issue, a lot of redness, very Oily Scalp and Scalp is burning or hot to touch.

I have tried the Keto Tgel Tea tree shampoo no benefit

I am trying Saw Palmetto, EPO and Beta sitosterol. Noticed less shedding maybe 2 - 5 years per day. However Oily Scalp still an issue

I think the potential solution would be Corticosteroids or Ostrogen to Scalp and nothing else.

Feel free to comments
Thanks

maballack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn’t worry too much about it at this point, it’ll just muddy the waters. My acne wasn’t so bad I needed it, and it was my second course. I didn’t need it and shouldn’t have done it but oh well. I’ve already regretted enough. I’m glad your acne was taken care of in one shot though.

And definitely man, a lot of 27 year olds are balding, so having hair is already a huge advantage.

Btw, estrogen apparently downregulates ARs, so if you come back in a few months with no improvements maybe give topical bi-estro a try. It doesn’t go systemic enough to cause problems, at least in the one thread I followed about it
Indeed, I have heard the ostrogen. However we will need to confirm, if the ostrogen Down regulate the AR permanently or when the application stops you re getting hyper up regulation!!

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been off finasteride for about 8 months. I never recovered. When I took my first pill I was a norwood 1.5 with extremely thick hair. After that months of shedding hundreds and hundreds of thick hairs everyday. I finally quit taking it after 6 months of use. The shedding has never really stopped. I am here today as a norwood 2.5 with badly diffused hair and crown. I had never lost a single hair on my crown before finasteride. The first 2 months on finasteride I had already developed balding patches on my crown that I now have to comb over everyday. Finasteride truly ruined my hair
Dude how is ur hair now?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If HR is real, which I believe it is, could Needling + Minoxidil work as a treatment? And should all anti androgens be avoided? Thanks

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is so bad right now that I'm contemplating just trying finasteride again I have nothing to lose at this point. I'll have to shave my head probably in a year judging by how I look now. Sucks because I never thought I would be at this point so early in life my hair was so good just 2-3 years ago
Im in the same boat as you and considering trying duta instead of oral finasteride again.

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im in the same boat as you and considering trying duta instead of oral finasteride again.
Go for it bro...and give it a year ...ul get there don't quit patience is the key....last time I tried duta my hair initial became thin but after 4months it become thick nd stop my hairloss...but idiotically I quit duta just because I shed some hairs ...

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes absolutely right,

The first combat is Inflammations and Oily Scalp.

I am having the exact issue, a lot of redness, very Oily Scalp and Scalp is burning or hot to touch.

I have tried the Keto Tgel Tea tree shampoo no benefit

I am trying Saw Palmetto, EPO and Beta sitosterol. Noticed less shedding maybe 2 - 5 years per day. However Oily Scalp still an issue

I think the potential solution would be Corticosteroids or Ostrogen to Scalp and nothing else.

Feel free to comments
Thanks
try fluocinonide (i've actually recommended this to someone with an itchy inflammatory scalp and it fixed it) and ease up on the keto shampoo

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go for it bro...and give it a year ...ul get there don't quit patience is the key....last time I tried duta my hair initial became thin but after 4months it become thick nd stop my hairloss...but idiotically I quit duta just because I shed some hairs ...
Shed was especially in front....I lost hairs like crazy in front ..why is that?

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
quitting prematurely isn't my issue...i was on oral finasteride 1.5+ years and that was a mistake, i should have quit sooner...i will only give oral duta several months if i decide to go that route but i'm debating on topical duta instead of the oral

Guru0007

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Today I shed crazy amount of thin hairs ... yesterday I took 0.5mg duta...I have been taking 0.25 mg every day... whenever I take 0.5 mg I shed a lot of hairs ...why is this?? Plzzzz anyone....is it reflex hyperandrogensity?

kungfukenny

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If HR is real, which I believe it is, could Needling + Minoxidil work as a treatment? And should all anti androgens be avoided? Thanks

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
RH is technically possible to avoid by going for a different dosage/frequency of finasteride. If you aim for a hormonal sweet spot you can probably avoid upregulation by way of androgen depletion. There may be a threshold for which your body begins up regulating and depending on your genetics, cutting dht by 50% for example might be fine. But going more than might overcome the hair protective effect of finasteride

Last edited:

mannyFJ

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
RH is technically possible to avoid by going for a different dosage/frequency of finasteride. If you aim for a hormonal sweet spot you can probably avoid upregulation by way of androgen depletion. There may be a threshold for which your body begins up regulating and depending on your genetics, cutting dht by 50% for example might be fine. But going more than might overcome the hair protective effect of finasteride
Yeah I’ve tried to overcome the RH by changing dosage/freq. of oral finasteride 1mg ED to EOD to .5 mg to low as .25 mg M W F only to mitigate this but to no avail. Ultimately going off it is what decreased it and I’m currently on topical finasteride for a year and no RH but not helping either.

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah I’ve tried to overcome the RH by changing dosage/freq. of oral finasteride 1mg ED to EOD to .5 mg to low as .25 mg M W F only to mitigate this but to no avail. Ultimately going off it is what decreased it and I’m currently on topical finasteride for a year and no RH but not helping either.
In some cases I wonder if a good way around this is supplementing with test. I know it seems crazy but if you could exogenously provide a less harmful androgen like test and block dht, maybe AR upregulation wouldn’t happen. But of course a topical anti androgen might be needed too for the testosterone affecting your follicles. It’s a crazy enough idea to work but it’s risky because it may make your hair worse