Anyone pour apple cider vinegar on their head?

ttwarrior1

Established Member
Reaction score
i did last night and it looked and felt better than ever. I posted on another site and he even mixes it with cayenne pepper since it reduces inflammation. I never would of thought cayenne would do that though. It only cost a buck so i was like why not

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sure, there's some merit in this.

http://www.immortalhair.homestead.com/f ... s_Book.htm
Apple-Cider-Vinegar & Cayenne (capsicum) *

This simple mixture of apple-cider-vinegar and cayenne pepper is a topical circulation aid that you can prepare yourself. You may add ginger (from ginger capsules for additional comfort and effect). Apply this mixture directly to your scalp. The apple-cider-vinegar acts as a solution, the cayenne pepper as a stimulant and ruberfacient (increases blood flow to the surface of the skin). Be very careful too not to let this get into your eyes. As I mentioned in chapter 6, (Polysorbates & Scalp Cleansers), this combination is much like a milder version of pepper spray. It will dilate your capillaries to a blood red. Your scalp will feel a tingling sensation (if ginger is used) or like a mild sunburn if the ginger is not added. Leave this astringent mixture on for five minutes or more rinse off after use. If you feel that your scalp has poor circulation, you may use this as often as you like, although I think of it primarily as a good way to jump-start the process of renewal.

How to prepare:

Mix one 12-ounce bottle of apple-cider-vinegar with three tablespoons of cayenne pepper (capsicum). If using other than condiment style cayenne pepper, like the capsules, then beware of the heat units contained. Cayenne supplements are offered in 40,000 to 200,000 heat units. Use the same three tablespoons worth if the cayenne capsules read 40,000 heat units on the label. If using 100,000 heat units capsicum, then reduce the amount of cayenne to the mixture by one half. If using 200,000 heat units, reduce the amount by a quarter. The amount of ginger to add (optional) can be from one tablespoon or more of ginger powder. Ginger will add to the tingling sensation and help reduce the heat from the capsicum while aiding circulation.

There is a study showing Procyanidins derived from apples stimulate hair growth so there is some science in it:

Apple Juice Ingredient May Stop Hair Loss
A recently released study shows that an ingredient in apples and apple juice--procyanidin B-2--significantly increases hair growth in men with male pattern baldness.

Proanthocyanidins are natural chemicals that have a wide range of benefits, including skin protection and hair growth. Previous studies in mice have showed that procyanidin B-2, a type of proanthocyanidin, causes hair growth at a rate that is 300 percent faster than a similar placebo.

In this study, authors from the Tsukuba Research Laboratories and the Watanabe Dermatological Clinic in Japan investigated the hair growth and side effects of a 1 percent procyanidin B-2 solution extracted from commercially available apple juice. For 6 months, 19 men received a daily topical dose of 30 mg of the procyanidin-B2 hair tonic, while another 10 received a placebo that looked and smelled the same. Hair growth--including hair density and diameter--were measured using microscopes and photographs.

Results revealed that men who received procyanidin B-2 grew more total hairs and more dense hairs than the placebo group. When the researchers compared their results with those of currently available medications, they found that procyanidin B-2 caused less hair growth than minoxidil (Rogaine), but a greater increase in total hairs than finasteride (Proscar). Unlike these prescription drugs, procyanidin B-2 produced no side effects such as itching or irritation.

The scientists speculated that antioxidants in procyanidin B-2 defeat male baldness by decreasing the scalp swelling that may cause hair loss. "The suppression of inflammation mediated by procyanidin B-2 returns the scalp to a healthy condition, consequently leading to a cure for baldness," they said. The authors are now planning further research on the length of time and the dose at which procyanidin B-2 is most effective. And they've figured out a way to get this natural chemical to bald men without using apple juice off the grocery shelf--by extracting it from green apples.

References

Kamimura A, Takahashi T, Watanabe Y. Investigation of topical application of procyanidin B-2 from apple to identify its potential use as a hair growing agent. Phytomedicine. 2000;7(6):529-536.

Britannia

Reaction score
Do not get Cayenne (capsicum) into your eyes! It has a pepper spray effect. :freaked2:

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose said:
Sure, there's some merit in this.

http://www.immortalhair.homestead.com/f ... s_Book.htm

This simple mixture of apple-cider-vinegar and cayenne pepper is a topical circulation aid that you can prepare yourself. You may add ginger (from ginger capsules for additional comfort and effect). Apply this mixture directly to your scalp. The apple-cider-vinegar acts as a solution, the cayenne pepper as a stimulant and ruberfacient (increases blood flow to the surface of the skin). Be very careful too not to let this get into your eyes. As I mentioned in chapter 6, (Polysorbates & Scalp Cleansers), this combination is much like a milder version of pepper spray. It will dilate your capillaries to a blood red. Your scalp will feel a tingling sensation (if ginger is used) or like a mild sunburn if the ginger is not added. Leave this astringent mixture on for five minutes or more rinse off after use. If you feel that your scalp has poor circulation, you may use this as often as you like, although I think of it primarily as a good way to jump-start the process of renewal.

How to prepare:

Mix one 12-ounce bottle of apple-cider-vinegar with three tablespoons of cayenne pepper (capsicum). If using other than condiment style cayenne pepper, like the capsules, then beware of the heat units contained. Cayenne supplements are offered in 40,000 to 200,000 heat units. Use the same three tablespoons worth if the cayenne capsules read 40,000 heat units on the label. If using 100,000 heat units capsicum, then reduce the amount of cayenne to the mixture by one half. If using 200,000 heat units, reduce the amount by a quarter. The amount of ginger to add (optional) can be from one tablespoon or more of ginger powder. Ginger will add to the tingling sensation and help reduce the heat from the capsicum while aiding circulation.

There is a study showing Procyanidins derived from apples stimulate hair growth so there is some science in it:

A recently released study shows that an ingredient in apples and apple juice--procyanidin B-2--significantly increases hair growth in men with male pattern baldness.

Proanthocyanidins are natural chemicals that have a wide range of benefits, including skin protection and hair growth. Previous studies in mice have showed that procyanidin B-2, a type of proanthocyanidin, causes hair growth at a rate that is 300 percent faster than a similar placebo.

In this study, authors from the Tsukuba Research Laboratories and the Watanabe Dermatological Clinic in Japan investigated the hair growth and side effects of a 1 percent procyanidin B-2 solution extracted from commercially available apple juice. For 6 months, 19 men received a daily topical dose of 30 mg of the procyanidin-B2 hair tonic, while another 10 received a placebo that looked and smelled the same. Hair growth--including hair density and diameter--were measured using microscopes and photographs.

Results revealed that men who received procyanidin B-2 grew more total hairs and more dense hairs than the placebo group. When the researchers compared their results with those of currently available medications, they found that procyanidin B-2 caused less hair growth than minoxidil (Rogaine), but a greater increase in total hairs than finasteride (Proscar). Unlike these prescription drugs, procyanidin B-2 produced no side effects such as itching or irritation.

The scientists speculated that antioxidants in procyanidin B-2 defeat male baldness by decreasing the scalp swelling that may cause hair loss. "The suppression of inflammation mediated by procyanidin B-2 returns the scalp to a healthy condition, consequently leading to a cure for baldness," they said. The authors are now planning further research on the length of time and the dose at which procyanidin B-2 is most effective. And they've figured out a way to get this natural chemical to bald men without using apple juice off the grocery shelf--by extracting it from green apples.

References

Kamimura A, Takahashi T, Watanabe Y. Investigation of topical application of procyanidin B-2 from apple to identify its potential use as a hair growing agent. Phytomedicine. 2000;7(6):529-536.
I must say that I have always liked your posts Red Rose. Always looked forward to reading them. Very informative and makes sense. :)

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I've known about ACV w/ cayenne for over a year now - always meant to give it a go - but just never found the time (which is saying a lot since I've rubbed just about every topical known to man into my scalp over the last year).

Someday though, I will definitely give it a shot. I know of at least one forum member guy who sprays ACV w/ ceyenne on his hair every day and loves it.

("ImmortalHair" Rocks)

Red Rose

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dice_Has_Hair said:
http://www.immortalhair.homestead.com/f ... s_Book.htm[/url]

How to prepare:

References

I must say that I have always liked your posts Red Rose. Always looked forward to reading them. Very informative and makes sense. :)[/quote:84f74]

Thanks Dice! I appreciate that.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
I've known about ACV w/ cayenne for over a year now - always meant to give it a go - but just never found the time (which is saying a lot since I've rubbed just about every topical known to man into my scalp over the last year).

Someday though, I will definitely give it a shot. I know of at least one forum member guy who sprays ACV w/ ceyenne on his hair every day and loves it.

("ImmortalHair" Rocks)
You should go for it!! I am!

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Red Rose said:
http://www.immortalhair.homestead.com/f ... s_Book.htm[/url]

How to prepare:

References

I must say that I have always liked your posts Red Rose. Always looked forward to reading them. Very informative and makes sense. :)[/quote:1445c]

Thanks Dice! I appreciate that.[/quote:1445c]Your welcome Red Rose :) Question : Do you think it would be better to use the capsaicin(pure) vs. cayenne(which has capsaicin in it)? Or do you think that simply using cayenne powder would do just fine? I think I'll try this. I think that this will be a good addition to my regimen. :)

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Dice_Has_Hair said:
[quote="hair_tomorrow":c2ca8]I've known about ACV w/ cayenne for over a year now - always meant to give it a go - but just never found the time (which is saying a lot since I've rubbed just about every topical known to man into my scalp over the last year).

("ImmortalHair" Rocks)
You should go for it!! I am![/quote:c2ca8]

Did you start yet? Make sure to get the non-pastureized, organic bottle as supposedly the pastureization process kills all the good stuff in the ACV.

Next time I see some - I'll definitley pick it up. (I'm pretty sure I already have the cayenne and perhaps ginger :)

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair_tomorrow said:
[quote="Dice_Has_Hair":983fb][quote="hair_tomorrow":983fb]I've known about ACV w/ cayenne for over a year now - always meant to give it a go - but just never found the time (which is saying a lot since I've rubbed just about every topical known to man into my scalp over the last year).

("ImmortalHair" Rocks)
You should go for it!! I am![/quote:983fb]

Did you start yet? Make sure to get the non-pastureized, organic bottle as supposedly the pastureization process kills all the good stuff in the ACV.

Next time I see some - I'll definitley pick it up. (I'm pretty sure I already have the cayenne and perhaps ginger :)[/quote:983fb]Thanks for the info hair_tomorrow!! You've always been a big help! There is a store around where I live that sells nothing but natural food and supplements. I bet I could find the organic ACV there! I'll have to check it out. Thanks! :)

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Just picked a bottle up. $5.99 for 32 oz. Can't wait to try it.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
Just picked a bottle up. $5.99 for 32 oz. Can't wait to try it.

Are you going straight ACV - or are you adding the cayenne and ginger too?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
Mer said:
ACV and "organic" cayenne. No ginger this time.

OK Mer - Enjoy!

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am just going to use the straight apple cider vinegar for now. I like it, it really gets my scalp clean. The reason why I haven't tried it with the cayenne included is because I heard that it creates a release of histamine. Isn't histamine something we should try to avoid with male pattern baldness? Now if the release of histamine is just a mere few minutes(as long as you have the stuff on your head) and the anti-inflammatory effect is long lasting, then there would very well be some benefit. But as far as I know...........no one knows about that. Thats why I am going straight ACV. By keeping my scalp really clean, it will enhance the absorption of my topicals. Sounds good to me! :)

Mer

Established Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I tried this for the first time this morning. My hair is better than it has been for a month, about the time I started Rogaine. I mixed 6oz of ACV with 1 1/2 T of cayenne pepper. I added this to 6oz of distilled water. Washed my hair with Nizoral and then applied the ACV. Let it sit for about 10 minutes and rinsed it out. Immideately noticed a difference when styling my hair.

Thanks for the tip.

Dice_Has_Hair

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I am kinda confused here. Is the ACV/cayenne supposed to be left on all night or do you rinse it out of your head after 5 minutes? I see some people using it for a rinse and others using it for an application. It would make sense to keep it on if your looking to grow hair and just wash it out in the morning. Anyone?