Anyone Here Start Propecia In Their Teens? How Did It Go?

Illusions

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know a guy who started thinning around 18, he's now almost 36 and it's obviously much thinner but he still has a great head of hair for his age. It just depends, it could kick into overdrive and you could be fully bald in your early 20s (unlikely though), or you could still have hair at 60 years old (again unlikely), for most guys it'll be somewhere in the middle and you'll start having major issues with your hair at around 30 or so.

cocojambo

Established Member
Reaction score
started at 17, about 6 months ago, no side effects and my hair is looking great but I might've just got lucky

shookwun

Reaction score
started at 2009, stopped a year later. Started back up again in 2012.

Been on ever since.

Worst mistake I made is coming off because I thought my hair was fine and stabilized. We often only notice hair loss when we lose a significant amount of density, all though the gene is constantly active. It's not paramount the effects until you shave, and realize how much ground was lost

ispendtoomuchtimeonhere

My Regimen
Reaction score

Been on ever since.

Worst mistake I made is coming off because I thought my hair was fine and stabilized. We often only notice hair loss when we lose a significant amount of density, all though the gene is constantly active. It's not paramount the effects until you shave, and realize how much ground was lost[/QUOT

How old were you in 2009

ispendtoomuchtimeonhere

My Regimen
Reaction score

Been on ever since.

Worst mistake I made is coming off because I thought my hair was fine and stabilized. We often only notice hair loss when we lose a significant amount of density, all though the gene is constantly active. It's not paramount the effects until you shave, and realize how much ground was lost

How old were you when you started?

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
What was your hair like when you started? How did it turn out? How did it impact your development?

I started propecia at like the end of 16 years of age. However, I was already mature. I was already 6'0 tall, had facial hair and to put it bluntly my dick was full grown. I still ended up developing naturally. At the time I started it I didn't have chest hair and it ended up coming naturally. I still grew like half and inch taller. I worried about people on HairLossTalk.com then telling me that I might not develop naturally but it just wasn't true. It is true that your body will change/mature a lot from 16 to 23 years of age and it did for me as well and propecia didn't interfere. One reason I decided to take propecia was because of the people in life who are born without DHT. After they developed their sex organs they develop naturally and are more muscular and don't lose their hair. I saw photos of them and they looked fine to me which was encouraging.

As for what propecia did to my hair, it definitely worked. I started taking it as a NW1 and it thickened up my hair and stopped further loss. I would have been totally fucked in high school and college without it as I was losing my hair pretty fast. One thing I wish I knew at that time was that dutasteride is superior to propecia and a study done recently says it has the same chance of side effects.

Hope this helps.

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
I know a guy who started thinning around 18, he's now almost 36 and it's obviously much thinner but he still has a great head of hair for his age. It just depends, it could kick into overdrive and you could be fully bald in your early 20s (unlikely though), or you could still have hair at 60 years old (again unlikely), for most guys it'll be somewhere in the middle and you'll start having major issues with your hair at around 30 or so.

One thing was that people here scared me back then and made me think I would be completely bald by 30 because I was losing hair so young. Yet, its clear that I will never be more than a nw3. My hair loss stabilized without drugs and nobody in my family is more than a NW3. There are plenty of examples of teenagers losing their hair and keeping it over time. I think family history of baldness or level of baldness is probably the best predictor you have.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Started at 19 and now i am 20, been on finasteride for 6 months, hairloss is still progressing, added in oral spironolactone at 100mg and shedding is worse but i dont seem to be losing ground?
At this stage i dunno what to tell you, but im going to stick it out for at least a year.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing I wish I knew at that time was that dutasteride is superior to propecia and a study done recently says it has the same chance of side effects.

Hope this helps.
Not true, the sides are shown to be more likely on dutasteride. Look at the studies by GSK for approval in Japan. Either way, I am on dutasteride as finasteride was useless for me. I have no sides so far, but they are definitely still more likely.

And congrats on your success with finasteride, starting at such a young age. This is still not recommended as there has been no studies done on people under 18. Many people are still developing at 16, so it is definitely more risky. Personally I stopped growing and dick stopped growing around 15/16, but I wouldn't have touched that stuff until I was at least 18.

Also I don't think DHT has an impact on bone density or muscular development, but just sexual development. So you can still grow taller and bigger on finasteride.

c_super2

Established Member
Reaction score
Not true, the sides are shown to be more likely on dutasteride. Look at the studies by GSK for approval in Japan. Either way, I am on dutasteride as finasteride was useless for me. I have no sides so far, but they are definitely still more likely.

Oh ok I didn't know that. I must have misread the study. thanks for letting me know. I will double check it.

And congrats on your success with finasteride, starting at such a young age. This is still not recommended as there has been no studies done on people under 18. Many people are still developing at 16, so it is definitely more risky. Personally I stopped growing and dick stopped growing around 15/16, but I wouldn't have touched that stuff until I was at least 18.

I also didn't know that. I developed very early and people were always telling me I looked older. But I do agree with you, I wouldn't touch propecia if you feel your dick is not done growing. But in my case it was and my dick stopped growing at 13. So I was pretty confident and comfortable that propecia wouldn't f*** with my development.

Also I don't think DHT has an impact on bone density or muscular development, but just sexual development. So you can still grow taller and bigger on finasteride.

Which is exactly what happened to me.